Physical Fitness Revamp

This sounds like a bad idea.

On so many levels. :-" :ROFLMAO:

Seajack,

It means go play in the damn stuff, that's what it means. The best and only way to get comfortable in water is to be in it, not just for workout purposes, but to PLAY - that way you'll get comfortable with water in your nose and mouth and ears and eyes at unexpected times. Practice somersaults underwater, multiples, backwards and forwards, add a twist or three, as many as you can. Note: when doing this, have a buddy next to you in case you get disoriented and they can direct you to the surface. No joke, it will happen. Spend as much time as you can in water that moves and is over your head. If you can't get to salt water, then get into rivers. If they only thing you've got is lakes or pools, then do that too.

You'll note that I'm steering you towards the playful part of life - and that's deliberate. Work hard, but play harder. Stack up memories - you'll need them when you're in the suck, those memories are what keep ya going.

As for your workout, incorporate treading water with weights, bobbing, fin work and diving for weights into your water workout. Out of water, go with rowing, and development of your shoulders and quads.

LL

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. After being told to basically "relax" by a multitude of vets, I finally took it to heart. As much as I want to ask for advice, I'm kind of dense when it comes to following it at first, and I'm working on that. I've definitely gotten myself out of this "hyperfocus" rut I was in for a while, where all I wanted to was "train". Too many geeks in the sea cadets are like that, and it looks silly. I'm not putting off PT, but I've turned more towards sports and other social activities that involve a workout :thumbsup:.

While I'm sure most of you have more time in the water than me, I come from a family of divers, surfers, and competitive swimmers. The water is a serious strong point of mine, and I've always felt very comfortable in it. Don't get me wrong, I respect it and know I'm just as capable of drowning as anyone else, though.

And I do think I'd look silly playing with the life size dummy. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that out. :p

Again, thanks.

Buying books for school has hit my pockets pretty hard so I don't yet have the money for boots and I'm tired of the ruck I bought collecting dust would it be completely stupid to do some short rucks in athletic shoes?2-4 miles once or twice a week , then kick it up when I have the cash for some milspec boots.

Buying books for school has hit my pockets pretty hard so I don't yet have the money for boots and I'm tired of the ruck I bought collecting dust would it be completely stupid to do some short rucks in athletic shoes?2-4 miles once or twice a week , then kick it up when I have the cash for some milspec boots.

Rucking puts your ankles at greater risk so boots are the way to go, but... Having a ruck on your back is essential if you are to get used to carrying one. Just carrying a ruck while walking around normally will be beneficial to you, you wont work out your legs or endurance but your back etc... will benefit from it.

Rucking puts your ankles at greater risk so boots are the way to go, but... Having a ruck on your back is essential if you are to get used to carrying one. Just carrying a ruck while walking around normally will be beneficial to you, you wont work out your legs or endurance but your back etc... will benefit from it.

Thanks for the help...I've started wearing it for my weighted step ups since I don't have the proper footwear figure that's better than nothing.

If those weighted step ups are for hours at a time!

The reason I said the above is nothing can help with the pain of wearing a ruck for hours on end. That was the worst part of SFAS for me, not my feet, at all. My shoulders were horrible. Super sore. I think my shoulders were worse off than anything else on my body.

The reason I said the above is nothing can help with the pain of wearing a ruck for hours on end. That was the worst part of SFAS for me, not my feet, at all. My shoulders were horrible. Super sore. I think my shoulders were worse off than anything else on my body.
From the straps digging in or the ache from ridiculous amounts of weight?

From the straps digging in or the ache from ridiculous amounts of weight?

Both, shoulders need to be strong as oxen! My shoulders were so sore I couldn't do a shrug after SFAS. Feet were straight though. Sore, but zero blisters.

Both, shoulders need to be strong as oxen! My shoulders were so sore I couldn't do a shrug after SFAS. Feet were straight though. Sore, but zero blisters.
Sounds like you had a good pair of boots and took good care of them. I hear a lot of the guys who drop just had their feet torn apart.

Although eventually it will hurt no matter what would doing heavy shrugs, shoulder presses etc. more heavily a couple days a week help slow down the process?

Although eventually it will hurt no matter what would doing heavy shrugs, shoulder presses etc. more heavily a couple days a week help slow down the process?

Cback is right. That said, it won't hurt to do those exercises. Wearing a ruck hurts, that's the bottom line, accept it and remember that everyone else including the staff/instructors hurt too while rucking.

Looked up a thread that had the most info on swimming, this was the obvious choice. Since school started about three weeks ago I got myself back into that regular routine and schedual. Now instead of going to the pool only 3-4 times a week I go everyday. I am to the point that if I miss a couple of days I feel uncomfortable being out of the pool. My lung capacity is way above what it used to be due to constant underwater swims and just holding my breath. Problem though, while doing freestyle surface swims I find myself not blowing out when my face is down in the water and so trying to suck in air is impossible. Sure I can hold my breath for a while but that only goes so far. Is there way to train myself to make me blow out that air? Any tricks to counter it?

while doing freestyle surface swims I find myself not blowing out when my face is down in the water and so trying to suck in air is impossible. Sure I can hold my breath for a while but that only goes so far. Is there way to train myself to make me blow out that air? Any tricks to counter it?
If I sound patronizing or insulting, it is definitely not meant that way. I have been a competitive swimmer for awhile but am not military so take it for what it's worth.

Just breathe out. After taking your breath to the side, once your face is in just blow bubbles. Feel your lungs and exhale that air into the water. It helps if you have a regular breathing rhythm then it's just like breathing on land; inhale to the side then exhale, inhale to the side etc. any specific questions please feel free to pm.

I got out and did some rucking last week 3-4 miles each time I went out , short but a starting point. My shins were in the shit a little bit but my feet felt good no hot spots or blistering I've been spraying my feet with deodorant and powdering for awhile so that might help. I wear an inside out dress sock and a pair of my Nike athletic socks, I'll have to change over to more basic socks at some point. I want to continue rucking but I also need to continue running so I was thinking of using a run M,W,F and ruck T,TH upping the mileage with a goal of 15-20 miles a week for each activity before I ship. This would be in addition to my morning PT. Should I stick with this or would it be better to ruck 3 times a week and add a Saturday run?

That sounds like a good plan. If it were me though I would run MWSat, ruck Tuesday and Friday and take thursday and Sunday off.

Barbell curls are for girls - you need to do heavy deadlifts and squats to help you ruck. Put over 300 lbs on your back and take it down to parallel and back. That'll put some muscle on your frame and get your shoulder girdle used to bearing weight.

Back