Physical Fitness Revamp

Barbell curls are for girls - you need to do heavy deadlifts and squats to help you ruck. Put over 300 lbs on your back and take it down to parallel and back. That'll put some muscle on your frame and get your shoulder girdle used to bearing weight.

How do you accomplish this and not put on to much mass that it affects your running/swimming? Also are KB Swings/Workouts a nice addition to help with rucking? I read an article by Nate Morrison a while back that has looking around for more information/workouts to do with them. http://www.vitalics.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=78 Is the article I am referring to.

How do you accomplish this and not put on to much mass that it affects your running/swimming? Also are KB Swings/Workouts a nice addition to help with rucking? I read an article by Nate Morrison a while back that has looking around for more information/workouts to do with them. http://www.vitalics.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=78 Is the article I am referring to.

Squatting 300 pounds is not that big of a goal, relatively speaking. I currently weigh 185# at 6'2" and can put up over 300# for a set of 5. It just takes hard work and squatting frequently for a few months. Being able to squat 300#, or even 400#, is not going to leave you looking like a powerlifter.

I am 185 lbs and I squat to parallel in the high threes. A skilled and strong athlete should be able to strict military press his weight, bench press 1 1/2 times his weight, squat twice his weight and dead lift 2 1/2 times his weight. I'm not slow but who cares if I can run a 15 minute three mile with no gear on. There is very little running in combat. There is a lot of moving at a brisk walk to a trot with your house on your back with some occasional weighted burpees and sprints thrown in there though. Get used to having weight on your back.

I am 185 lbs and I squat to parallel in the high threes. A skilled and strong athlete should be able to strict military press his weight, bench press 1 1/2 times his weight, squat twice his weight and dead lift 2 1/2 times his weight. I'm not slow but who cares if I can run a 15 minute three mile with no gear on. There is very little running in combat. There is a lot of moving at a brisk walk to a trot with your house on your back with some occasional weighted burpees and sprints thrown in there though. Get used to having weight on your back.

I'm 205lbs at 6'2", 24 years old. With what you are saying I need to be able to squat 400+, deadlift 515+ and bench 310+ and military press 205, those are stout numbers but awesome IMO. Military press is there, bench is only 275. Squat is 325 and deadlift(2 weeks ago) was 400. Interestingly I can front squat almost as much as I can back squat. So clearly I've got a ways to go. I can run 3miles in about 20minutes and 5miles miles in a little over 36minutes. Swimming is my strong suit, 1500m Fin(rockets) is just under 22minutes, but there is always room for improvement, there's always someone faster or stronger. I just like the water. Only thing I have yet to do is start rucking. I haven't bought a rucksack, so not sure where I stand yet.

Jael-Use Rescueathlete.com they focus on everything you need and nothing you don't. Stick to it, don't get overzealous in weight bc you'll get hurt. You'll get where you need to be. I started a little over 2 months ago and I throw in a little extra PT just because. My strength, endurance and horsepower has jumped significantly, but at my height I could stand to lose about 10lbs. Just eat right, follow the work out of the day. Stay motivated.

I'm 205lbs at 6'2", 24 years old. With what you are saying I need to be able to squat 400+, deadlift 515+ and bench 310+ and military press 205, those are stout numbers but awesome IMO. Military press is there, bench is only 275. Squat is 325 and deadlift(2 weeks ago) was 400. Interestingly I can front squat almost as much as I can back squat. So clearly I've got a ways to go...

At 39 y/o, 5'7" and 180# I find myself concentrating on performance more than I ever have in the past (prior to the military), especially strength. While in the SFQC I did a mixture of a bodybuilding routine and crossfit, during my first deployment on an ODA I found MountainAthlete.com awesome hour long smoke sessions then came MilitaryAthlete.com's strength/METCON/work capacity workouts and now 4 years later I am doing a blend of Wendler's 5/3/1 with Crossfit Football on the off days. In the past 7 months I have added 40lbs to my front squat (315), 45lbs to my bench (325), 25 lbs to my OH Press (215), and 50 lbs to my Deadlift (430). Not too bad for an old guy with 3 herniated discs in his lumbar spine... After a few more cycles I plan on going back to militaryathlete to work on my metabolic conditioning.

Find what works for you, use it but dont be afraid to venture out a lil in your training. Variety will keep you from becoming stagnant and getting bored with your training, especially when it comes to strength routines.

Crip

I'm 205lbs at 6'2", 24 years old. With what you are saying I need to be able to squat 400+, deadlift 515+ and bench 310+ and military press 205, those are stout numbers but awesome IMO. Military press is there, bench is only 275. Squat is 325 and deadlift(2 weeks ago) was 400. Interestingly I can front squat almost as much as I can back squat. So clearly I've got a ways to go. I can run 3miles in about 20minutes and 5miles miles in a little over 36minutes. Swimming is my strong suit, 1500m Fin(rockets) is just under 22minutes, but there is always room for improvement, there's always someone faster or stronger. I just like the water. Only thing I have yet to do is start rucking. I haven't bought a rucksack, so not sure where I stand yet.

Jael-Use Rescueathlete.com they focus on everything you need and nothing you don't. Stick to it, don't get overzealous in weight bc you'll get hurt. You'll get where you need to be. I started a little over 2 months ago and I throw in a little extra PT just because. My strength, endurance and horsepower has jumped significantly, but at my height I could stand to lose about 10lbs. Just eat right, follow the work out of the day. Stay motivated.

The BRC finning standard is 2000 meters pushing a ruck in the open ocean in less than an hour. Time starts on the beach and ends on the beach. Strict military press means standing press. You can accomplish all of those goals if you take is slow, train smart and stick with it.

The BRC finning standard is 2000 meters pushing a ruck in the open ocean in less than an hour. Time starts on the beach and ends on the beach. Strict military press means standing press. You can accomplish all of those goals if you take is slow, train smart and stick with it.

Good thing I live near the beach, I'm going to start finning in open water, my room mate will be there just so no one is swimming alone etc. I'll have to build up to pushing the ruck part. How much weight is in it, roughly? Thanks!

At 39 y/o, 5'7" and 180# I find myself concentrating on performance more than I ever have in the past (prior to the military), especially strength. While in the SFQC I did a mixture of a bodybuilding routine and crossfit, during my first deployment on an ODA I found MountainAthlete.com awesome hour long smoke sessions then came MilitaryAthlete.com's strength/METCON/work capacity workouts and now 4 years later I am doing a blend of Wendler's 5/3/1 with Crossfit Football on the off days. In the past 7 months I have added 40lbs to my front squat (315), 45lbs to my bench (325), 25 lbs to my OH Press (215), and 50 lbs to my Deadlift (430). Not too bad for an old guy with 3 herniated discs in his lumbar spine... After a few more cycles I plan on going back to militaryathlete to work on my metabolic conditioning.

Find what works for you, use it but dont be afraid to venture out a lil in your training. Variety will keep you from becoming stagnant and getting bored with your training, especially when it comes to strength routines.

Crip

Thanks! I've looked into MA, only big issue is a lot of the equipment/exercises needed isn't exactly smiled upon in conventional gyms. And the crossfit here doesn't allow you to work on your own(lame) so I'm limited to the resources I have. I'm definitely going to switch it up though. I've found several sites, Rescueathlete, FatalFitness(seems to be a lot of TACP's), MA, SEALFIT, CrossfitFootball etc. That are all a big help, so I'm thinking cycling two-three months on each, because I definitely get bored easily in a workout routine.

Now I have to find a rucksack for somewhat cheap, I'll probably just buy one with the A-Frame off ebay or craigslist. Thanks again for all the input!

Now I have to find a rucksack for somewhat cheap, I'll probably just buy one with the A-Frame off ebay or craigslist. Thanks again for all the input!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-OD-AL...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a6a2691a3#ht_994wt_1270 here is a nice one, 20$. ALICE packs on EBay are very easy to find, and very cheap. So are some of the LBE's if you are looking for those. I have worn this ruck on every ruck I have gone on, putting in 40-70lbs in the main bag alone and I have not see any rips, cuts, stress marks or anything of the sort. I wouldn't say it is the greatest most comfortable bag in existence but it really is a nice ruck, the frame has held up for over a year with a lot of use and abuse, and it holds more then your kitchen sink ever will.

There are other "nice" rucks out there, with hydration systems, advanced frames, "tactical" pockets, but they go up to 200+ dollars and if it's just for training, you can't really beat a 20$ workhorse.

... Is there way to train myself to make me blow out that air? Any tricks to counter it?
PM sent, thanks for responding to dumb problem. lol :thumbsup:

Not a dumb question at all. Breathing while swimming is an essential exercise to master. Get comfortable getting rid of the air while your mouth and nose are in the water. LOL Your question brought back a rather ancient memory - my dad taught us to play motor boat then turn the head and take a breath in...

Just remember your time with your mouth/nose out of the water is limited - you want to use as much of it as possible getting air in, so getting it out should be done at other times. Practice control, develop it with the rhythm of your stroke.

LL

You guys are freaks, indeed! Very impressive. I've always hated seeing guys in the gym 6"-8" shorter than I putting up huge numbers. Then I realized big numbers in the gym did not equate into me being quick in the water and/or a better runner. I'm 6'4" and I just started working out with weights again this last month as well as continuing to run 2-3 times a week. I'm trying to slowly work my big lifts (DL, Squat, Bench) back up to somewhat respectable numbers.
Also, a note on the breathing in the water. Get used to breathing out of your mouth as well. It's not a huge deal, but when you have a mask on, it's the only way to do it. Again, doesn't take much adjusting but the sooner you get used to it, the better, IMHO.

Is this advice for swimming or something else entirely?:cool:

And SL, I have a lot of guys on the football team or wrestlers who have seen how well swimming has been for me as a work out. They now have come up wanting to join me in the morning or afternoon to swim. These are the assholes who bullied me in middle school, the tables turn dont they?:D

Sorry, no motor-boating in this post...

Wanted to cover rucking. I have heard 14-15 minute miles with around 40 lb pack is a good pace to be at (I started my rucking about 1 1/2 months ago with zero prior experience and the first week or two was painful due to blisters). I have been pretty steady at my 4 milers being around 13:45 min/mile for the last 3 weeks. Today I decided to stretch it out to an 8 miler. Time was at 15 min/mile but that included one 5 minute break at 4 miles and a boot/sock adjustment at around mile 6 due to hotspots on my heels. I used some national park land that has some logging paths with a mixture of dirt and sand with some slight incline/decline. Ended up with 2 blisters but all in all it felt pretty good. Just wanted opinions on the progress to see if I'm on the right track. Also any opinions on any changes (ruck weight, pace, etc.)?

Back