Poser Busting

One of my favorite stories was when I was a student in the Q course. Contractor prolly in his 40’s early 50’s, definitely actually a former SF guy, but probably NG. This was 2007/8ish, so possibly he had GWOT experience, but that is not really important.

SEAL medic student: so yeah the new Rambo movie is pretty cool.

Contractor: I don’t need to see it, I lived that life.

SEAL: you were a riverboat driver in Burma?

Contractor: …..

It may be a you had to be there moment, but it sticks with me. Never be the “I lived that life” guy in comparison to movies. It is weird for everyone.
I pictured this in the same tone and context as Happy Gilmore questioning Shooter McGavin about eating pieces of shit for breakfast.

I have a woodlands camo shirt that I wear as a light jacket. I don't have name tape, insignia, tab or rank indications of any kind. I had a guy tell me a while back "Thank you for your service". I told him I appreciated the thought, but that I hate the idea of anyone thinking I'm trying to claim credit for being something I'm not. It was an awkward moment. If I say something to someone about wearing a veteran's cap or some such, I try to limit my comments to something that will make it clear I understand how they served and that I respect them for it. Personally, I respect anyone even if all they did was "shovel shit in Louisiana". If you go where they told you to go and did what they told you to do, that's honorable service. That said, Special Operators have a special place in my heart. As George Orwell said (more or less) "We sleep sound in our beds because rough men work to keep it so."

Sad, just sad these things happen. Not just by the shitbags themselves, but by their campaigns, political parties, and even so-called "journalists." You know how hard it is to run down this clown's claims, or that of any poser?

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and The Privacy Act

Most information in a Federal (non-archival) Official Personnel Folder (OPF) is not releasable to the general public without the written consent of the individual whose record is involved. The Freedom of Information Act does allow, however, for certain information to be released without the individual's consent. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has determined that the following information can be released to the public:

• Name
  • Past and present positions
  • Past and present titles
  • Past and present salaries
  • Past and present grades
  • Past and present job locations

And it gets worse, again showing how lazy, incompetent, gullible, and plain fucking stupid people are.

Clyde Shavers - Service To School

Clyde is a 2013 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy with a Bachelor of Science in Political Science with Honors and Chinese. He commissioned into the nuclear submarine community and later transitioned as a public affairs officer in 2015. His operational tours include U.S. Naval Forces Central Command/U.S. 5th Fleet in Bahrain and Destroyer Squadron SEVEN in Singapore. Clyde graduated from Yale Law School with a Juris Doctor degree in 2022.

Bet a dollar this POS was selected for subs, but flunked out of nuke school. Graduates and commissions in 2013, but is a PAO in two years? You think the Navy would allow a nuke qualified officer to become a PAO with a year-ish in the fleet?

Thinking and research are hard. Fuck this guy and fuck everyone who supports his campaign.

Sad, just sad these things happen. Not just by the shitbags themselves, but by their campaigns, political parties, and even so-called "journalists." You know how hard it is to run down this clown's claims, or that of any poser?

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and The Privacy Act

And it gets worse, again showing how lazy, incompetent, gullible, and plain fucking stupid people are.

Clyde Shavers - Service To School

Bet a dollar this POS was selected for subs, but flunked out of nuke school. Graduates and commissions in 2013, but is a PAO in two years? You think the Navy would allow a nuke qualified officer to become a PAO with a year-ish in the fleet?

Thinking and research are hard. Fuck this guy and fuck everyone who supports his campaign.
“Commissioned into the nuclear submarine community”

To me, that sounds like a support bullet. Kind of how Intel can be assigned to the “SOF community”.

324846371_499401002297887_6799480418845183770_n.jpg

If you were a cook, I love food and was glad not to cook. If you were supply, I wanted my shit and was delighted not to have to order it. If you were X, Y, or Z, I am glad you did, and I am glad I did not.

This is a hard thing to get through younger soldiers heads. Nobody cares what your job is, they only care if you can do it well.

Weirdly enough I've had this situation happen twice in the past few weeks, all because of my unit sweatshirt. Most of our merch isn't explicitly saying "Special Forces", but it does have the crossed arrows if someone knows what they're looking at. (I'll attach a photo).

I had to go out to Cali (Bay area) for some training last month. Sitting at the airport when some older guy (60ish) taps me on my shoulder and asks what group I'm in. Tell him I'm a support guy with 19th. His answer was almost verbatim from the article. Said he's appreciated support dudes since they did all the hard work when he moved with 5th group from Bragg to Campbell.

Next weekend I'm wandering around Little Italy. Some guy stops me on the street and ask what ODA I was in, because he had been in 10th group and recognized my face/hoodie. Told him he'd probably just seen me on Carson at the range, because I'm the foodservice guy for the FSC. Immediately got a response of "Oh you were out at Bridgeport with ODAs xyz and SFC Snuffy a while back!".

Attachments

• 20230215_110430.jpg
    20230215_110430.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
@Cookie_ , because I work with the medical guys at Bragg and some ODAs in 3rd group, I've also gotten some patches and swag. I am very conscientious in telling people who ask about it that I am not SF but now a civilian working with some of their education. I've gotten no pushback from it, and have had some interesting conversations.

Loved the support guys. Afterall, someone had to fly me into a location and pick me back up. Someone had to work on that bird that did it. Same with vehicles. Someone had to pay and feed me. Took care of me when I got hit and everyone in the hospital had a role. I hate to admit it, but when I was a young snuffy, I did have a problem looking down on those that didn't have wings or a CIB. You have a lot more respect for them as you get older. Hold your head up and be proud that you helped us come back alive.

Back