Questions on Contour HD Cameras

Looking at the video quality between Contour and the GoPro rig, the GP has a much better image. It sucks because you can mount a Contour on your weapon, but the video is subpar compared to the GoPro.

I just got a Go Pro as a gift, I plan on using it during free fall ops focusing on canopy work for my guys. The ATIC committee (as of Jan/Feb) uses it and every debrief the video was clear and crisp. We did a 25 K jump in Columbus OH, and one of the other MFF JM's had a contour duct taped to his Gentex. I thought it was kind of sketchy since that was the highest he ever jumped with his camera and that it was taped with 100 mph to the side of his gentex. The video was crisp and clear also, I did like the fact that it was on the side vs on the NODS bracket for the Go Pro. I would actually tape it to the right side so it wouldn't be a snag hazard on the RSL.

Looking at the video quality between Contour and the GoPro rig, the GP has a much better image. It sucks because you can mount a Contour on your weapon, but the video is subpar compared to the GoPro.

Yeah, I would've preferred the GP but mounting it securely was what pushed me to the Contour.

Thanks for that. They are better than what I'd seen before. I have the contour now though so I'll stick with it at least for now.

I had the contour HD Pro. Works perfectly fine for me and on daily patrols and some of the stuff we have gotten into. Comes with Audio/GPS built in it as well. I also bought the OPS-CORE ACH mounting kit for an addition $100. Had the camera mounted and not on problem with it yet.

I prefer my helmet cam I got from http://www.firevideo.net/

My version which isn't HD is about the size of a single cr123 surefire. Even the "low res" version I have kicks fucking ass. Only bad thing is my version has just an internal battery that lasts 3 hours, but it'll take a beating and is small as hell. The new ones are 1080 and have a rechargeable battery that you can swap out easily.

PC200152.jpg

The Go Pro is everything I wanted and more. It is amazing and super user friendly. Controls are simple and easy to use, yet there is so much you can do with the camera itself. Video, photos, time lapse, photo burst can all be adjusted to the way you want it right on the camera. The basic outdoor package comes with four adhesive mounts, headstrap,pivot arm, bike helmet strap and an extra back door that increases microphone quality(but is no longer water proof). On top of this I got the flotation add on as well as wrist mount(which I love). Quality of video and photos is beautiful. The Tenba Shoot-Out bag which I also got is perfect for everything I need to carry with me. Thank you Pardus for getting me into the Go Pro(even though you went with Contour) and Dame for suggesting the Tenba bags!

I've using my GoPro in the NVG mount for about 2 months now while we do pre-deployment workups, and its been totally stellar. Video quality is great, audio quality is pretty good, and the long battery life means I can shoot an entire day worth of stuff. Im a conventional guy so we dont have any of the cool helmets and mounts for them, which is part of the reason why I stayed away from the ContourHD. Also it gets TONS of curious looks and questions about it, which is pretty cool. I've had a couple folks buy them after seeing the footage from it.

Brought the GoPro along to the St. Paty's day parade. Set it on the time lapse to shoot a photo every minute and strapped it on my hat. I did this in a hope to double the amount of crowd shots I had from simply walking among them. As I expected not all of them were amazing but I was surprised by some of the shots I got. Here is one of the slide shows that came from the GoPro.

http://qctimes.com/news/grand-parade/collection_3d0c6f6a-7070-11e1-b23f-001871e3ce6c.html#0

Back