Ranger Snipers

Heh, I remember when I was a Private inprocessing through Stewart they had a recent SFAS selectee give a SF brief to everybody. At some point, he starts talking shit to all the Rangers, "Well I can't recruit you guys since you have a service contract. Have fun pulling security for Delta." I was just new and didn't know any better, but I always wish I went, "Wait a minute you piece of shit. You're still in 3rd ID. You haven't even gone to the Q." Regiment has a lot of factors going against it. All the high-speed training is done at the unit and not part of some advertised qualification course. So, as far as a bunch of swinging dicks with stupid opinions are concerned old 82nd can do anything we can. Also we don't have a MOS with the words 'special' or 'operator' in it like all the other units in SOCOM. We don't have any fictional movies about Rangers. Most of us aren't fucking around with cool infil methods because that's what puts the special in SOF. Well most of SF isn't either, but nobody seems to notice that. Also a Ranger platoon comprises of 20 18 year old Privates and nobody else. And finally all the cool shit and equipment gets wrapped in some ridiculous OPSEC blanket even if it really isn't. I really don't know how some 'mentor' can shit all over our snipers when we've got guys leaving for AMU when they want an easier job or guys currently in Regiment wearing President's Hundred tabs that are SOTIC-qualified.

I really don't mean to butt in at all, and this is somewhat off topic. But I thought Regiment was getting older and more mature as a whole, as in the days of all 18 year olds was over? It's funny though here in 82nd land, a lot of people want to come over there. We have quite a few slots for Ranger School always open, and nobody ever wants to go.

If I stepped out my lane..sorry.

I really don't mean to butt in at all, and this is somewhat off topic. But I thought Regiment was getting older and more mature as a whole, as in the days of all 18 year olds was over? It's funny though here in 82nd land, a lot of people want to come over there. We have quite a few slots for Ranger School always open, and nobody ever wants to go.

If I stepped out my lane..sorry.
That was sarcasm. 18 year-old Privates are rare, but every other SOF when criticizing Regiment seems to think we have a shit tons of them.

He was being sarcastic bro. The young 18 year old is the exception not the rule now. They still are in batt., but most new guys now are in their 20's. I was the brand new 18 y/o straight out of h.s., turned 19 in OSUT, and I was one of the youngest in my platoon when I got to battalion. most of my fellow privates were guys who dropped out of college or were working and wanted a change of pace. there were only two privates in my squad, I was one (19 y/0), and the other was 24 and had worked at his families hardware store before joining. There was one other private that was my same age in our platoon, the rest were in their 20's. Actually, come to think of it, I was one of three total who could not legally drink, as it was us three that were always tagged to drive on the weekends. So yeah, 3 guys out of a 24 man platoon were under 21.

One of the members here did a very interesting write-up on th evolution of the Regiment. So if the infos are there, why are people stil making the same old "Blackhawk Down" mistake/missunderstanding of the Ranger Regiment?

One of the members here did a very interesting write-up on th evolution of the Regiment. So if the infos are there, why are people stil making the same old "Blackhawk Down" mistake/missunderstanding of the Ranger Regiment?

Probably because there is more wrong information on the internet, then the one article Jack Murphy wrote.

Stereotypes don't suffer an easy or quick death.

What we have here is what some might refer to as an "Epic Fail"

I'll go ahead and say it. Your mentors don't know what they are talking about, and neither do you.

I'll just leave this here for you, and you can take from it what you want.

http://sofrep.com/15870/the-evolution-of-the-75th-Ranger-regiment-part-3/

Suffice it to say that you OBVIOUSLY do not know what Rangers have been doing for the last 12 years, and you certainly don't know about who is an SMU and who is not, and you don't know about things that are going on behind the scenes. But roger dude, Rangers are really good at manning a blocking position and walking around the woods right? Some day I hope we are able to do our own missions instead of pulling BP's for the other guys....

I've been gone for a couple of days, I didn't know that I started a shit storm in the process.

Listen, sir, I was trying to be as respectful as humanly possible. And I apologize if I had offended you. I think there was a miscommunication on my part. To state the obvious, Rangers are and will continue to be a very, very high profile unit. In no way, shape or form was I denigrating Rangers. The only thing I happened to say was that Rangers can't be tasked with missions given specifically to special missions units but if you could be so kind to let me explain first I'd appreciate it.

Was I referring to you guys as blocking forces? No. The 75th Ranger Regiment has pretty much shifted their focus to DA raids, and you don't need me to explain that to you. Your unit is the Army's premier light infantry raid force, and your unit has flourished 10 fold over the past ten or so years, as a matter of fact most units in Socom have improved dramatically...it's natural after 10 years of war, men will be more experienced, TTP's will be built upon, and your overall product will improve dramatically. And it's evident in your successes in both Iraq and Afghanistan. In Iraq, the 75th led a near legendary campaign against Insurgent forces in Iraq and the same could also be said about Afghanistan.

In regards, to Rangers not performing operations specifically reserved for special missions units, again I'm not denigrating the Regiment. As I have stated on numerous occasions before, you guys are a very high profile unit. What I was referring to was the fact that certain operations will be reserved to those units at JSOC. A moderator asked me what operation I might be referring to, well, an example of that would be the Somalian hostage rescue (January). Am I criticizing or denigrating Rangers? No, I've been led to believe and feel that an operation such as that should be reserved for a tier 1 unit. Maybe my logic is flawed and I apologize if it is. Please don't misconstrue that I'm saying that SF soldiers, or SEALs are more capable of performing the operation because that's not true nor did I ever say that.

As I said before, I refuse to denigrate the Regiment and the Rangers within it. I'm merely offering my opinion, one of which largely has to do with the people that have influenced me. Again, you guys are most certainly a high profile unit - no one is denying that. And again, you guys led and continue to lead an unbelievable campaign against Insurgent forces. I don't necessarily know what I did to tick everyone off, I apologize if I did. I never claimed you guys were the "little guys" or manned "blocking positions".

In conclusion, I apologize if I had offended you or any other Ranger on this thread or forum for that matter. It was not my intention.

For what it's worth, here's a video of Rangers being awesome.

I'm out...

I don't necessarily know what I did to tick everyone off, I apologize if I did. I never claimed you guys were the "little guys" or manned "blocking positions".

It's the fact people like you and I have no say in what Unit 'X' does or can do because we haven't been there first hand to comment on it. Only once you've BTDT you have the authority to make educated comments or speculations about such things. If not, your comments/opinions/speculations/other related shit is completely irrelevant and not needed.

It's the fact people like you and I have no say in what Unit 'X' does or can do because we haven't been there first hand to comment on it. Only once you've BTDT you have the authority to make educated comments or speculations about such things. If not, your comments/opinions/speculations/other related shit is completely irrelevant and not needed.

I will, and to reiterate In no way shape or form am I denigrating them.

Look bro, you'll learn when you enter the military that you need to do a little cost-benefit analysis when trying to defend a point. 90% of the time, you'll realize that although your point may be defensible, you gain nothing from defending it. The common analogy is digging yourself a hole.

This is one of those times. Swallow your pride and leave it alone before you get banned.

I’m a bit of a history dork and I put more weight behind what history says than what the current fad is of the year/decade. The US Army Rangers have a history that is unmatched by any other SOF unit in the US Military. They have been at it longer than any other “SOF” unit, they have been doing it right and their history is outstanding. They led the way for all other SOF units and they continue to lead the way today. The fact that 70% of the Army's white SOF that moves on to black SOF is the US Army Ranger, is truly telling in itself. That is not to take away from any other unit SOF or conventional (every unit serves a purpose). But I think anyone who has spent a few hours reading the long history of the Rangers, would be foolish to state they are anything but an outstanding, highly capable, incredibly well trained, and extremely lethal force.

Deadpool? Thank you for the history lesson.

A little advice? I'd usually say "Stop now while you're ahead" but at this point, I'll just say "Stop now where you're at."

Deadpool let me give you some advice I wish I would have learned earlier in life: sometimes you just have to let something go. Knowing which battles you should fight in the first place is in many cases at least as important as knowing how to win the battles you end up fighting.

You're in a no-win situation here, and you've already caused a distraction and this thread has devolved because of you. I'm going to make it easy for you- DO NOT post in this thread again. We'll chalk this whole thing up to a learning experience; no "warning points," no ban or anything.

But I hope you'll take away some good lessons, because if you pull something like this again you're going to get a vacation of indeterminate length away from the site.

Again, just in case you missed it the first time, DO NOT post in this thread again.

Rangers and/or snipers, I now return you to your thread.

Note to self...no good usually comes from beginning a sentence with the phrase, "Listen sir"...

Again, just in case you missed it the first time, DO NOT post in this thread again.

Rangers and/or snipers, I now return you to your thread.

Sorry, but I feel compelled to make one final Deadpoolpost and I hope I'm not denigrating your contributions in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

When I have members sending me messages to point out how jacked up other members are, it causes me to reflect....and read the archives. This is not the first time senor Deadpool has had to explain and explain and apologize and apologize and explain one of his posts and the post before that and the post before that....Soon, electrons are commiting suicide rather than participating in the Internet and that makes me sad because the pessimist in me is fond of electrons.

Now, I'm sitting here deciding if Herr Deadpool requires a vacation and to be honest, I'm giving it some serious thought. Back up a page or two and we have this exchange:

Deadpool digs a hole
I ask him for clarification, a subtle way of tossing him a ladder because the hole is expanding.
Deadpool ignores me and continues to dig.
Again, I ask for clarification, continuing my subtle practice of attempting to help out a younger member. I say "attempting" because we're past the ladder and I'm searching for a winch because the hole is that deep.
Deadpool ignores me and continues to dig.

I find that rather denigrating.

With that, we've reached cruising altitude and the subject of Deadpool is dead. We're done with it. Done. D-O-N-E. Done. Finished. ENDEX. Kaput and a bunch of other words to indicate that THIS topic is dead and we're back to the OP of "Ranger Snipers." If Deadpool posts in this thread again, if ANYONE decides we're going to discuss Deadpool in this thread, if any topic other scroll-wearing, long-gun-toting harbingers of doom is discussed, vacations will occur.

RANGER SNIPERS

These appear to be some terribly kinetic blocking positions....

Video courtesy of the Blackside Concepts facebook page.

Dude that was an awesome video of Seal Team 6 umm...I mean DEVGRU

...Those were Army Rangers...

..But they were doing Tier 1 stuff ? and I swear one had a beard, only Tier 1 have beards.

Back