Reed Cundiff

Put in two photos. One is the photo on Lanning's book and elsewhere, where we look studly (well we thought we did). The other was taken at September reunion or "WTF happened to us?" WTH, it had been 47 years. 47 years before I got drafted, we were still in WW I. Runner patrol.gif what we look like now.jpg For some reason the photo in the The photanthologies was reversed and it looks as if all of u are left handedView attachment 12133 View attachment 12134

Bruce taught at Jeff Cooper's Combat Pistol School (he is hell on wheels with a .45).He was an internationally bowyer as well until he decided he had inhaled to much fibreglass dust (from coating the bows and polishing). He is now doing security on a 100,000 acre ranch. Yep, playing Roy Rogers. Roger hopes to retire this year and Ray was a hard hat compression level diver until he got a nitrogen embolism in his spine and that was it for high level diving (Gulf, North Sea and Persian Gulf). Ray was Louisiana PAL lightweight or middleweight boxing champion. Mannie Moya died in a car accident 35 years ago near Chama, New Mexico.

Attachments

• Manuel Moya (2).jpg
    Manuel Moya (2).jpg
    285 KB · Views: 20
There are certainly enough interesting events from every LRRP/LRP/Ranger unit at all time intervals. I know quite a few since I was the Unit Director for N Rangers and its antecedents for 7 years; basically ombudsman, collator of articles for Patrolling Magazine, and writer of the commendations for Ranger Hall of Fame.

For example. Team 3 shared the same hootch with Team 4 and we have kept in contact. Their original TL was Sgt Guill, whom I wrote of earlier being basically busted from E9 to E5: jumped with 11th in PI, both jumps with 187th and second Korean tour with 2ID, and was on 4th tour in RVN. He is on the left of Rivers "Mule" Evans. Beware of fat old men with 7 combat tours, they just might know what they are doing. The entire team had gone to Recondo Class 00 at Nha Trang in September 1966 and all had six months or more of LRRP patrolling. They were inserted along with Team 6 (Williams) onto the DZ at Katum two days before the drop. Their orders were to get into hides and not move and monitor any movement. Any major movement would have cancelled the drop. LRRP almost made the combat jump but one of the reasons that we did not was because it was felt that it would be most unkind to have 6 teams get combat wings while the guys inserted before hand got a nice pat on the back.

In March 1967, LT Robert Stowell had finished 6 months with 4/503rd (and had the reputation of the best platoon leader in the Bn - and was Bde Adjutant at West Point). Guill had retired and hired by Air America. Stowell was our new XO and went out with Team 3, now under Gary "Wolf" Lotze. They had probably been compromised and when they ambushed two guys carrying AK-47s, it turned out that they had probably been sent down the trail to "flush" the team by getting killed. As soon as they went out to collect weapons and documents, they were attaked from forward and down both flanks on the trail. Stowell took 3 rounds to body in first exchange but no one knew about it for half an hour when he collapsed in the rescue bird. He still has a round in his liver. They were 7.62 x 25 mm subgun rounds. He told me two or three years ago he is just happy they were not 7.62 x 39 mm AK-47/SKS rounds. Dave Liebersbach was on right security (he was later Director of Alaska Emergency Management and the Director of Alaska Homeland Security under both Democrat and Republican Governors). They called for him to come in but he saw 10 NVAs running towards him on the trail led by an RPD. He waited until they were coming straight at him and took them all down. The ones in back didn't know the ones in front were going down and each round probably went through two or three NVA. They got to an LZ after 200 m or so of close combat.

Wolf twice saw assault lines firing assault fire as they came through the smoke (team was throwing smoke to direct gunships). He told me (he died in Dec 1967 in a plane wrec in Alaska that was not discovered until 1992) that he emptied a magazine each time and they all dropped - has no idea if he it anyone. Got tangled up in his Claymore wire after setting it down, said screw it and cranked it off, blew him on his face. A MG had them pinned down and Roy Gilmore (point) crawled up and took it out with two grenades. Gilmore was signaling the gunships with his cerise panel and had two rounds go through it.

We met them at the choppers and BS'ed with them (mainly team 4). Everyone but one had a round through weapon, gear or clothing. I was talking with Forest Kendall as he was taking his PRC-25 out of his pack. He was saying that he thought he had been hit since his butt and legs had been covered with flowing warm water. He pulled a canteen out of one of the back pockets of the RVN Airborne pack and there were two bullet holes through it. Then he saw that there was a round through the metal frame of the PRC-25, an inch lower it would have destroyed the radio and an inch lower it would have taken out the battery (or was it the other way around) - and an inch further forwrd, it would have taken it out his spine. They were cocky as hell for a day or two and then it set in that statistically

Elaine and I visited Gilmore several times in Maryland and got to spend a week with Dave and family on Kodiak six years ago when we were RV'ing through Alaska. The friendships remain through the years. Sid was at the September reunion.
cleardot.gif

2 Attachments

Preview attachment Guill and Evans.jpg

Guill and Evans.jpg

Preview attachment Gilmore and Lotze.jpg

Gilmore and Lotze.jpg

There are enough folks with interesting tales from all eras of Rangers to fill volumes. Unfortunately, most of the stories will die with the participants. Marshall Huckaby of K Rangers (we were in MACV Recondo Class 03 of November 1966 together) is planning to get the stories written. As noted above, I was Unit Director for N Rangers for about 8 years and was responsible for putting together articles for "Patrolling" (75th RRA quarterly). We usually had 3 to 7 pages of things that were, reunions, what is happening with families. Tried to vette the stories of patrol actions with at least two guys who were there. The action written of above was vetted through Gilmore, Smith, Stowell, and Lieberrsbach.

Neglected to note that Lt Stowell received the DSC (downgraded to that); Liebersbach, Lotze, and Gilmore received Silver Stars; while Smith and Kendall received BSMVs. This was first DSC and only the second SS given in first year of 173rd LRRP.
Reed Cundiff

HAMMER11 - Modesty and humility follow when you have served with folks like I did. Retired Sergeant Major Vladimir Jakovenko was my original TL. He was primary machine gunner on Son Tay raid. I was followed as TL on team 4 by retired CSM Pat Tadina (116 confirmed CQK, 10 BSMV and 2 SS), who was followed by my friend Laszlo Rabel (LRSU hall at Ranger School is named after him, his wife received the MOH from President Nixon). Have attached a photo of Tad, Jake and I at 2002 RHOF gathering (they are both in RHOF). Also attached is photo used for his RHOF nomination. At least they don't throw rocks at me when we meet. Had dinner twice with Tad at our N Ranger (173rd LRRP/74thLRP/NRanger) reunion in September.
Reed.

Attachments

• Tadina and Jake small.bmp
    482 KB · Views: 14
  • a journey of a thousand miles.bmp
    362.2 KB · Views: 10
@Reed Cundiff :

Your pics above did not post to the site. I downloaded them and am presenting in this post for you.

I'll watch your post and if you re-upload I will delete this post -

Thanks for sharing everything you have!

Tadina and Jake Small (from Reed Cundiff's post above)
10346294_10205464796764676_6769207231087837174_n.jpg

A Journey of a thousand miles (from Reed Cundiff's post above)
10801976_10205464796684674_117049359903851107_n.jpg

Back