Report: DoD Investigating Whether Navy SEALs Strangled Green Beret To Death In Mali

We went from two SEAL's up to two SEAL's plus two Raiders.

On a 6-man team according to the article.

What was going on with the 6th man? How do you have 4 doing illegal stuff, the 5th knows, and the 6th was somehow in the dark? That's a hard narrative to swallow. Why do I have a feeling the article only scratched the surface of the entire story? Unreal.

It

What was going on with the 6th man? How do you have 4 doing illegal stuff, the 5th knows, and the 6th was somehow in the dark? That's a hard narrative to swallow. Why do I have a feeling the article only scratched the surface of the entire story? Unreal.

It was probably the lieutenant.

He could have been in another room violating his combatting trafficking in persons online training.

And the guy has to go back knowing he...knew and didn't say anything? Was assigned to gather intel and couldn't see what was going on in his team house making him the worst intel (or whatever his specialty) guy on the planet? Had to go back to his unit where they now know him to be..."less than stellar?" And on and on.

So many ugly questions. What a shit show.

And the guy has to go back knowing he...knew and didn't say anything? Was assigned to gather intel and couldn't see what was going on in his team house making him the worst intel (or whatever his specialty) guy on the planet? Had to go back to his unit where they now know him to be..."less than stellar?" And on and on.

So many ugly questions. What a shit show.

Some of this stuff will unravel during the proceedings. Obviously prosecutors know a lot more than what's been released publicly. No doubt the identity of the Raiders will soon come out. (I'm surprised their names haven't been released: no reason at this point to protect them). This whole fucking thing is such an abomination.

When this first came out, I thought it was pure SOFREP-esque gossipy nonsense. It is truly heartbreaking to see this unravel. Prayers for the SSG's family and teammates.

I'm just hoping the reason nothing has been said about the other GB is because he wasn't involved with the shit.
Best case scenario is he's the guy who was the "unnamed source" from the article last year that broke the news the two shitbirds from DEVGRU were skimming off the top until Melgar caught them.

I'm just hoping the reason nothing has been said about the other GB is because he wasn't involved with the shit.
Best case scenario is he's the guy who was the "unnamed source" from the article last year that broke the news the two shitbirds from DEVGRU were skimming off the top until Melgar caught them.

That's what I am hoping/assuming.

You know the UCMJ/system is quick to drop the gavel/kick guys out of country/ruin careers, and slow to clear their names. Hoping it isnt true about the Raiders involved and holding my breath until after the proceedings. I cant imagine any of my brothers willingly being involved.

You know the UCMJ/system is quick to drop the gavel/kick guys out of country/ruin careers, and slow to clear their names. Hoping it isnt true about the Raiders involved and holding my breath until after the proceedings. I cant imagine any of my brothers willingly being involved.
I honestly don't think anyone went into this situation with murder in their hearts. I imagine they slid down this slippery slope a step at a time each time they stole money from their operational funds, and whatever else they were doing, until they found themselves having to physically intimidate one of their team mates, and eventually murder him, to cover up their criminal activity. It's easy to see how this played out. I can only imagine how much they panicked when they thought about how this would affect their careers and their families. They probably should have thought about that when they started down this road and not when they reached their unfortunate destination. Keep in mind that the two suspected murderers are an E7 and an E6 and think about how those two senior NCOs adversely influenced the servicemembers around them, who undoubtedly looked up to these senior special operators. This is a truly tragic story but I still wonder if this could have all been avoided if they lived in a standards based culture that didn't tolerate misconduct and held individuals accountable when they violated the UCMJ.

I think it's also possible that one of these defendants might have been a bad character to begin with and not wholly a product of his environment. Just facilitated by it and able to influence others.

- UPDATE -

Hearings Postponed for SEALs, Marines Charged in Green Beret's Death

NORFOLK -- A preliminary hearing for two Virginia Beach-based Navy SEALs and two Marines Raiders charged in connection with the death of an Army Green Beret in Africa in 2017 has been pushed to 2019.

Article 32 hearings, the military's equivalent to a civilian preliminary court hearing, were originally set for Dec. 10 at Naval Station Norfolk. The Navy did not say why the hearings were pushed back but indicated it expected to hear the case in March.

@Ooh-Rah

I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve always admired SOF, or I hate to see any good team getting a big dose of unwarranted SUCK. But this whole thing really bums me the ‘F’ out. Can’t imagine what the families and Junior NCOs must be dealing with. Not to mention the potential traction that the bad guys may now gain in this AO.

If anything good can possibly come out of this, it will be to avoid any such similar incident in the future. UCMJ and military bearing was fouled hard and that always runs up and down the COC.

My sincere condolences to anyone who has to deal with this unfathomable shit storm.

Back