.Reserve Reconnaissance Recruitment Information

That's pretty cool. How long have they been subsidizing travel? When I was a corpsman I tried like hell to affiliate with Recon but it was made pretty clear that they would pay the lodging, but getting there was on my dime. (to be fair, this was 2000ish, so I am fully aware things change.....)

I'm not sure. I don't have much experience dealing with reserve issues. This is from the 4th Recon I&I.

Recently screened for a reserve Force Recon unit. I didn't make it, but plan on working on my deficiencies and am planning on attending the next screening. The opportunity I was afforded to not only screen but also cross-train with their unit was extremely humbling and rewarding. They were extremely professional. Everything and then some in terms of how they conducted business. I encourage anyone who is even slightly interested to give it a go.

The Basic Reconnaissance Course Instagram recently posted the Recon Selection Aptitude Test which has the events that you will cover during the screener.

My screener included:

- 500 meter swim
- 25 meter underwater
- rifle retrieval
- 25 meter rifle tow
- 30 minute tread
...modified PFT (Pull-ups, Sit-ups, etcetera...)

Semper Fi

Recently screened for a reserve Force Recon unit. I didn't make it, but plan on working on my deficiencies and am planning on attending the next screening. The opportunity I was afforded to not only screen but also cross-train with their unit was extremely humbling and rewarding. They were extremely professional. Everything and then some in terms of how they conducted business. I encourage anyone who is even slightly interested to give it a go.

The Basic Reconnaissance Course Instagram recently posted the Recon Selection Aptitude Test which has the events that you will cover during the screener.

My screener included:

- 500 meter swim
- 25 meter underwater
- rifle retrieval
- 25 meter rifle tow
- 30 minute tread
...modified PFT (Pull-ups, Sit-ups, etcetera...)

Semper Fi
Are you already a reservist?

I have a few buddies who were 4th Recon out of San Antonio. They were all very solid dudes, knew what they were doing, trained hard, never saw any fattys and they had alot of opportunities back in the hay days of Iraq.

I have a few buddies who were 4th Recon out of San Antonio. They were all very solid dudes, knew what they were doing, trained hard, never saw any fattys and they had alot of opportunities back in the hay days of Iraq.

Fatties are dealt with in bootcamp, long before SOI. Their diets are restricted and monitored by an ADI who follows their fat asses through the chowline. If they can't pack the gear they're set back to the Fat Body Platoon, (although it's probably called the Weight-Challenged Platoon now :wall:), and they PT the living shit out of them before they put them back in a Series. It's fucking amazing how fast the Corps can trim the fat off the Tubbies. By the time they get their EGA they ain't nothing but big muscle.

I remember having to stifle a giggle marching past the Fat Body Platoon when they had all the porkers out doing jumping jacks in formation. :D:ROFLMAO:

Fatties are dealt with in bootcamp, long before SOI. Their diets are restricted and monitored by an ADI who follows their fat asses through the chowline. If they can't pack the gear they're set back to the Fat Body Platoon, (although it's probably called the Weight-Challenged Platoon now :wall:), and they PT the living shit out of them before they put them back in a Series. It's fucking amazing how fast the Corps can trim the fat off the Tubbies. By the time they get their EGA they ain't nothing but big muscle.

I remember having to stifle a giggle marching past the Fat Body Platoon when they had all the porkers out doing jumping jacks in formation. :D:ROFLMAO:

I was referring to the fatties that come along with reserve units. You didn't see that with 4th Recon as you will see it with other reserve unit's across all the branches. And yes I've seen my fair share of fat reserve Marines (boot camp trained and all). Every single one of the 4th Recon guys I met or became friends with were absolute beasts. One was a Rucking buddy for a short period while I was between deployments, he was a stud and kept me pushing outside my comfort zone. Come to find out years later he thought the same about me, which I thought was funny, because I was giving it all I had to not get shown up by a Marine.;-)

What event did you struggle with?

Sir,

I did not pass the 25 meter underwater. I came up about three-quarters of the way on both attempts. The last event of the screener was the 3-mile run, and I did not meet the target time of 22:00 minutes.

I had a 14:30 on the 500 meter swim.
Passed the rifle retrieval, rifle tread, and 30 minute tread. I also completed the required pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups and eight counts.

I plan to continue training with an emphasis on underwater swimming and running. I do plan on re-screening.

I would get in the pool. Keep in mind that the screener measures the bare minimum entrance standards for BRC. You will do back to back to back underwater cross overs at BRC with freestyle intervals.

I definitely remember a fat Marine or two matching across the parade deck back in 09 :ROFLMAO:

I was referring to the fatties that come along with reserve units. You didn't see that with 4th Recon as you will see it with other reserve unit's across all the branches. And yes I've seen my fair share of fat reserve Marines (boot camp trained and all). Every single one of the 4th Recon guys I met or became friends with were absolute beasts. One was a Rucking buddy for a short period while I was between deployments, he was a stud and kept me pushing outside my comfort zone. Come to find out years later he thought the same about me, which I thought was funny, because I was giving it all I had to not get shown up by a Marine.;-)

When I was a corpsman, all my units were infantry/all-male, until my last one in the reserve: a Marine supply company. Of course, when AD Marines go into the reserves, they will go through appropriate MOS training, so there were former hard-chargers--Recon, ANGLICO, infantry--as well as some blivets, the proverbial rolling bag of doughnuts. The women? Ah, don't get me started.

Like all units there were some real gems, there were some window-lickers. To be fair, it also applied to the corpsman. A couple times we were down a couple corpsmen so we would borrow them from a reserve medical unit, but they had not been schoolhouse-trained. They would be like, an ophthalmology tech, or lab tech. You could see the fear in their eyes.

I would get in the pool. Keep in mind that the screener measures the bare minimum entrance standards for BRC. You will do back to back to back underwater cross overs at BRC with freestyle intervals.

Roger that Sir. Thank you for the advice.

@Teufel I'm in the process of joining the Navy Reserves as prior service. I was told by my recruiter that I would have to put in a package to transition from RC to AC. My Ultimate goal is SARC. Will I have to start the pipeline as a reservist or will they wait until I transition back to active duty to send me to field med?

@Teufel I'm in the process of joining the Navy Reserves as prior service. I was told by my recruiter that I would have to put in a package to transition from RC to AC. My Ultimate goal is SARC. Will I have to start the pipeline as a reservist or will they wait until I transition back to active duty to send me to field med?
I honestly don't know. Call or email the POC in my signature line.

Unless it has changed--and I am fully aware that it probably has, some--when I was in, you would go to FMSS (now FMTB) as a reservist; once you got on the other side of that, picked up a recon unit as your gaining command, and successfully screened to go to BRC, then they would put you on orders for the schools. I am not sure why they would make you put in a package for AD if you were headed for 4th Recon.

Back