Retention and Recruitment Crisis

dont be mad at senior army leaders - they are just doing what their masters in Permanent DC have told them to do
and dont be mad at the politicians - they are just doing what we keep electing them to do

So - hypothetical question - because I know this looks stupid on its surface - but.................

If you were in charge - at the highest levels of military command and civilian governance - and your intentions clearly seemed nefarious and immoral to a large percentage of the population - would you want educated, free thinking, opinionated, values oriented, morally sound followers...
...or pliable folks that didn't know much and did exactly WHAT you told them exactly WHEN you told them to do it?

What if their only real motivation was money to pay for their gender studies degree or free medical care so they could mutilate their genitals?

I dont know about the rest of you hucksters - but if it was me - I would NOT be trying to help private Snuffy get a Masters Degree.
Well, unless he was an avowed communist - in which case I'd probably cover for him while attended one of our Service Academies.

Mileage may vary; batteries not included; no refunds...
...no returns.

There’s a thing called the Defense Reutilization Marketing Office which (I think) is this gigantic warehouse (maybe at the North Pole) staffed by a bunch of coffee-hound sergeants of various grades, that contains billions of items that the Army’s stockpiled since the Cold War. Surely some of that shit must be superfluous/obsolete/outdated/unreliable or completely busted.

What I’m saying is there has to be plenty of crap the Defense Reutilization Marketing Office could MARKET and sell…or items/programs the Army could cutback on to free up the funds for education. But I guess that would make too much sense.

I couldn't get past the paywall. Seems pretty shitty; conditions were that bad, for that long, that the locals had to step up? Damn.

It wasn't paywalled when I posted. Everything up here is like that since they lost social media revenue.

These paragraphs give the basics.

1712358304055.jpeg

Here's an archive link.
http://archive.today/lyjcb

Rumor is there's been at least one individual recruited and gone through basic training, with down syndrome. Another currently on course that can't pass anything, even fitness related and is being pushed through.
As this came out, others have come forward, stating they enrolled someone with cerebral palsy.

Frustrated Head GIF

Rumor is there's been at least one individual recruited and gone through basic training, with down syndrome. Another currently on course that can't pass anything, even fitness related and is being pushed through.
As this came out, others have come forward, stating they enrolled someone with cerebral palsy.

Frustrated Head GIF

Y'all directly recruit generals?

Frustrated Head GIF
We're going to get wrecked the next time we have to fight someone in a protracted conflict.

We're going to get wrecked the next time we have to fight someone in a protracted conflict.

It took us right at 20 years to surrender to the Taliban.

When you "aren't serious about being American" you can drag out the shenanigans forever.
Hell, the Russians are two years into their limited excursion and NO signs of letting up.
...and China doesn't really want to "fight" with us, they just want to exploit us.

We stand ready to let our enemies exploit us indefinitely.
...just don't fuck up my NetFlix service

When you "aren't serious about being American" you can drag out the shenanigans forever.
Hell, the Russians are two years into their limited excursion and NO signs of letting up.
...and China doesn't really want to "fight" with us, they just want to exploit us.

@AWP , I found him...

This is why I log into this digital shitbox. Nicely done.

Mil Twitter is an interesting place. It's interesting to see people argue about what punishments they would do in an article 15. But I'd like to point out that commanders used to have way more tools. Extra Duty used to come in a variety of manners, to include hard labor. But, also used to be able to put someone in the stockade.

So, would you rather take someone's pay for 45 days or have them do hard labor?

Mil Twitter is an interesting place. It's interesting to see people argue about what punishments they would do in an article 15. But I'd like to point out that commanders used to have way more tools. Extra Duty used to come in a variety of manners, to include hard labor. But, also used to be able to put someone in the stockade.

So, would you rather take someone's pay for 45 days or have them do hard labor?
Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

I **loved** summarized Art15s for lower-level offenses when I was a commander. I think I've mentioned that many times on the site. It's basically a negative counseling from the commander; the point gets made, the rocks around the company area got repainted, and Joe's rank (and paycheck) live to fight another day. If there are no further screwups, it goes in the shredder when the soldier PCSs. If there is more drama... you have a paper trail.

For serious offenses, if I had to pick between the two I would choose hard labor. Taking pay can cause all kind of other unintended consequences, especially if the soldier is married.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I ever handled many (any?) serious UCMJ cases as a CPT/MAJ. The few big things that did happen, authority was retained at the battalion command level or higher.

Back