Running in the cold?

stronglyconsidered

Unverified
Just want to say thank you for taking the time to click on this thread.

I understand and know how to use the search button so before anyone tears me a new one I can assure you I most definitely searched on my own and reached out to a few military buddies. Before I involve my recruiter I would like to find out of this is more common than I may think.
I have been running for years for a private organization and have been to national championships etc. No asthma, no breathing issues in general, and no health issues or medications. No surgeries and never anything serious besides bronchitis twice a few years back. I moved to Texas as a few times when I would run outdoors in the cold I've noticed afterwards chest tightness and trouble breathing. Nothing serious, but enough to notice it while finishing up some cals. Did research online and realized a lot of civilians have this issue with cold dry air and it's as simple as covering the mouth and nose while running. I am looking to go TACP and now this is a major concern for me. I just want honest answers if anyone has been through this or can offer some advice as for what will happen. I know I will need to speak to the recruiter about this eventually. Until than I am starting to feel discouraged now because of this issue.

Thank you for reading it and sorry for dragging it on. I just wanted to be as clear as possible. Again thank you for reading.

You mentioned Texas; so I’m not sure how cold your are talking?

I bike and hike in Minnesota winter and go out at below zero temps. A Balaclava is a must have, it filters the air a bit and does not shock the system as much. Typically I try to breath in thru the nose and out thru the mouth.

Use something quality though, otherwise your Balaclava (or whatever you use) will begin to ice up on you from the moisture in your breath and that gets cold....fast.

Again, this is temps from -10 to 15 above or so. Anything warming than that and I really don’t do much different.

You mentioned Texas; so I’m not sure how cold your are talking?

I bike and hike in Minnesota winter and go out at below zero temps. A Balaclava is a must have, it filters the air a bit and does not shock the system as much. Typically I try to breath in thru the nose and out thru the mouth.

Use something quality though, otherwise your Balaclava (or whatever you use) will begin to ice up on you from the moisture in your breath and that gets cold....fast.

Again, this is temps from -10 to 15 above or so. Anything warming than that and I really don’t do much different.

See I never had an issue. In NJ I would hike in the snow and I was fine. Never any issues until last year. I didn't pay it any mind. Now I notice if the air is cold and dry and I try to do some intense running it'll bother me. I am scared I will not get through selection because of this. I train so hard and for this issue to stop me would really be devastating.

Disclaimer: I wasn't a TACP and never had a need to know about the specific stuff those barmy bastards will have you do or not do as a candidate.

FWIW, I've found that the following works well for breathing during cold running, with two already mentioned above:

3 HOT TIPS ON HOW TO BREATHE WHEN RUNNING IN THE COLD

If you're otherwise a normal and healthy twenty something stud, this may just be a case of needing time to adapt to conditions. A doc's exam can tell you if something else may be going on.

TACP training takes place in TX, WA, NV, GA, FL... and wherever BMT is held now. Someone more down with this pipeline may come along and correct that. Point is, you'll probably be needing to adapt to multiple environments during the process.

$.02

I have routinely run distance in the teens with nothing covering my mouth, and have been OK. Afterward I try to hack up a lung, but that's a natural reaction to the cold. I can't speak to running in anything colder than about 15.

There is a thing called cough-variant asthma, it can be triggered by many things, cold air among them. It usually goes away when it warms up, but brutal when it's cold. The pathophysiology is the same: bronchoconstriction. Now whether it is a hard stop, that's for the docs to figure out.

I have routinely run distance in the teens with nothing covering my mouth, and have been OK. Afterward I try to hack up a lung, but that's a natural reaction to the cold. I can't speak to running in anything colder than about 15.

There is a thing called cough-variant asthma, it can be triggered by many things, cold air among them. It usually goes away when it warms up, but brutal when it's cold. The pathophysiology is the same: bronchoconstriction. Now whether it is a hard stop, that's for the docs to figure out.
I am not sure. Coming from NJ I would run and even shovel for hours on end in the snow. I never had any issues. It only happens once in a blue and I've noticed it is when it is cold here in Texas, but not that cold maybe 40s-50s. The air is dry and it'll bother me. Again not every time. I can say I run more times without issues and for longer distances versus the one time I run a mile and it acts up.

Disclaimer: I wasn't a TACP and never had a need to know about the specific stuff those barmy bastards will have you do or not do as a candidate.

FWIW, I've found that the following works well for breathing during cold running, with two already mentioned above:

3 HOT TIPS ON HOW TO BREATHE WHEN RUNNING IN THE COLD

If you're otherwise a normal and healthy twenty something stud, this may just be a case of needing time to adapt to conditions. A doc's exam can tell you if something else may be going on.

TACP training takes place in TX, WA, NV, GA, FL... and wherever BMT is held now. Someone more down with this pipeline may come along and correct that. Point is, you'll probably be needing to adapt to multiple environments during the process.

$.02

Thank you for this information. I do appreciate it. I am thinking of getting a doctors appointment, but I am new at my job and not under insurance just yet. I really hope this is not going to be an issue given I eat and drink healthy and also take vitamins. I do everything I can to keep myself healthy including yoga, sauna, and meditation. Mentally this issue is killing me as of now. Thank you again.

I am not sure. Coming from NJ I would run and even shovel for hours on end in the snow. I never had any issues. It only happens once in a blue and I've noticed it is when it is cold here in Texas, but not that cold maybe 40s-50s. The air is dry and it'll bother me. Again not every time. I can say I run more times without issues and for longer distances versus the one time I run a mile and it acts up.

It sounds like brochconstriction. Again, check out with a doc, and if it is, drive on.

Sounds like you have a potential medical issue, so get yourself checked out. If you can't run, you won't make it through the pipeline. There are plenty of times where I have experienced what CrossFItters call "Fran Lung". It is what it is man, suck it up and drive on as long as a doctor clears you.

Sounds like you have a potential medical issue, so get yourself checked out. If you can't run, you won't make it through the pipeline. There are plenty of times where I have experienced what CrossFItters call "Fran Lung". It is what it is man, suck it up and drive on as long as a doctor clears you.

Okay. Sounds good. Thank you for the information. Like I said earlier I do everything I possibly can to stay away from medical issues. I also train in MMA and have no issues. I can do extreme levels and cardio and I am fine. Thank you for the information and your time.

Update: Ran 5 miles last night and felt completely fine. I believe if I don't properly warm up and ease into the run is what causes the reactions in my lungs. Will still be getting checked even though I have recently got one from my Fire Department. Thank you to everyone who commented their opinions and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Update: Ran 5 miles last night and felt completely fine. I believe if I don't properly warm up and ease into the run is what causes the reactions in my lungs. Will still be getting checked even though I have recently got one from my Fire Department. Thank you to everyone who commented their opinions and advice. It is very much appreciated.

You won't always be as warmed up as you may want before a certain run evolution. They are very good about making sure you do some sort of warm up, but it may not be what you are used to doing. The runs will sometimes start out at a slower pace and pick up intensity, or you might be put right into 400-800m intervals with a time hack to meet on each one.

You won't always be as warmed up as you may want before a certain run evolution. They are very good about making sure you do some sort of warm up, but it may not be what you are used to doing. The runs will sometimes start out at a slower pace and pick up intensity, or you might be put right into 400-800m intervals with a time hack to meet on each one.

I understand. I will get checked once again to confirm everything is okay. Firefighting training has never given me any issues at all with or without oxygen and physical exercise even during really hot exposures. I don't have issues when I am training really hard as well. Again just once in a blue for some reason if it's cold and dry my lungs and chest will hurt a bit afterwards. Maybe it's because I start the run off really fast idk. I will get it figured out and for now not allow it to mentally eat at me. I will drive on and continue to train mentally and physically. Thank you for help it is very much appreciated.

Back