.SARC Screening?

Sir, you missed a few of the guys who claimed to be 18D's when they weren't even in the Army (the most notorious was the SARC who claimed 18D and SEAL and Marine Recon), and the guys who were in the Army but weren't SF and had never even attempted an 18 series MOS... who were 18D's because they went to SOCM. And then would argue with 18D's that they had done "the training"...

Hence the chapped ass about this subject.

As an aside, I know a guy who was a SSgt with 1st Force (MFF JM, S/S, DV) who transfered to the Army, went to the long course, became an 18D, left the Army a year ago because they said they were over on 18Ds and wanted him to retrain as an 18B so he lat moved to the Navy to be a SARC. He is thinking about going to BUD/s or possibly the PJ route. He is also a school house Ranger.

I know what you are talking about but you get wannabes in every community. I am a big proponent of being proud of who you are and be the best at your job. Even if it isn't a "cool" job. One of the SNCOs I respect the most is a shit hot admin chief. By the way we used to send guys to the Q course in the nineties. I know two guys who did it (but I am not sure if they did robin sage). Did any of you guys have any Marines in your Q courses?

What do you mean by the 5 active duty scout snipers??? You do not have to be a sniper to spot for a sniper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...ode=&contentId=A42636-2003Mar17&notFound=true

http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/002935.php

"In addition to being respected for his medical skill, Doc Watson is feted by the PiTT marines for having done "high speed shit:" he's one of only four Navy corpsmen to ever complete Marine Scout Sniper school, serving on a sniper team in the mountains of Afghanistan after 9.11. He won the eating contest, btw."

I guess they don't include Marines who have become Navy Corpsmen in the count.

And the last part about the spotter puts it to rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...ode=&contentId=A42636-2003Mar17&notFound=true

http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/002935.php

"In addition to being respected for his medical skill, Doc Watson is feted by the PiTT marines for having done "high speed shit:" he's one of only four Navy corpsmen to ever complete Marine Scout Sniper school, serving on a sniper team in the mountains of Afghanistan after 9.11. He won the eating contest, btw."

I guess they don't include Marines who have become Navy Corpsmen in the count.

And the last part about the spotter puts it to rest.

Don't depend on reporters for your information. There have been more than 4 corpsman to graduate from scout sniper. It is not exceedingly common but scout sniper platoons used to send their docs to sniper school. I have meet two and I haven't been around that long so I am assuming that there are more out there. Doc Espiritu is estimating the numer of active duty Corpsman who are school trained snipers.

Sir, you missed a few of the guys who claimed to be 18D's when they weren't even in the Army (the most notorious was the SARC who claimed 18D and SEAL and Marine Recon), and the guys who were in the Army but weren't SF and had never even attempted an 18 series MOS... who were 18D's because they went to SOCM. And then would argue with 18D's that they had done "the training"...

Hence the chapped ass about this subject.

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here, but I completely understand the thin skin in this particular area. If it helps allay any of your misgivings, my SOCM docs take a great deal of pride in being SOF qualified medics who take very good care of their CA teammates, enjoy working alongside the 18D, and know the line between the two. I've never once heard any of my medics refer to SOCM as the "18D short course", or try to play it off as such. I think most of that talk has been chased out of the contemporary crop of medics, and probably tends to perpetuate outside the CA community. My:2c:

Does anyone know if DOD allows SARC sailors to be assigned to reserve slots?

Does anyone know if DOD allows SARC sailors to be assigned to reserve slots?

Does anyone know how to read the instructions and provide an intro as your first post? Apparently not. I'm just going to start deleting these rather than try and get an intro out of you people.

To be honest I think you just have to raise your hand and pass some PRT tests. I think you do the recon screener. The Navy lets the pipeline wash out the guys who don't need to be there. This mostly happens at the Basic Reconnaissance Course but I don't know how the course is now that it moved up to SOI. It used to be pretty tough when it was in Coronado. If you go SARC you will not end up in the teams. We get a lot of BUD/s duds and they end up enjoying it on the Marine side of the fence (Recon and MARSOC). I have seen a few go to to BUD/s but I have also seen some lat transfer and go the PJ and ARSOF route as well. They are also in high demand in some of the more high speed units out there as well. Bottom line, the Navy will spend close to two years training to be a SARC and they will be reluctant to lose you to another program. Try it out, I am sure you will find that you will enjoy the community. Once you get into the SOF community you will find that most SOF units get a lot of the same training and operational opportunities to be honest.

Just to clarify sir- do you mean guys who ring out or who are med/academic dropped?

As an aside, I know a guy who was a SSgt with 1st Force (MFF JM, S/S, DV) who transfered to the Army, went to the long course, became an 18D, left the Army a year ago because they said they were over on 18Ds and wanted him to retrain as an 18B so he lat moved to the Navy to be a SARC. He is thinking about going to BUD/s or possibly the PJ route. He is also a school house Ranger.

That's a pretty unique career path. He would be pretty senior going to BUD/S or PJ indoc after already being a SSgt and lat moving- correct?

I've only met one or two BUD/S duds that actually admit to ringing out. =)

Most of them claim some sort of injury got them booted against their objections. Makes them feel less like quitters I guess.

On a side note, I'm getting word from the rumor mill that the Navy won't fund SARC's to go to SOCM anymore. Not sure why, but that's what Doc is telling me. If it's true, I'm pretty pissed about it. There's almost no point in having SARC's if they're not given advanced medical training. Corps School is a joke by comparison.

Most of them claim some sort of injury got them booted against their objections. Makes them feel less like quitters I guess.

On a side note, I'm getting word from the rumor mill that the Navy won't fund SARC's to go to SOCM anymore. Not sure why, but that's what Doc is telling me. If it's true, I'm pretty pissed about it. There's almost no point in having SARC's if they're not given advanced medical training. Corps School is a joke by comparison.

I ask out of surprise- I would think that if you couldn't make BUD/S you probably wouldn't make it through BRC.

Yeah, we had two wanna be's in my RIP that didn't make it through BUD/S. They told us that they decided to go SARC because it was way easier than BUD/S. According to them RIP had nothing on BUD/S, that is before it actually started. They claimed to last until hell week at BUD/S. They lasted a day and a half at RIP.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the SARC pipeline is easier than the SEAL pipeline. Their are about five or six different courses, all ass kickers, that you have to get through before you can call yourself a SARC. And the SARC's you have to go through to earn it will ensure you are worthy.

I think some guys gain some maturity from failing out of a SOF pipeline and are stronger for it. Not all of them make it through BRC but they are usually doubly motivated to make it through because of their intial hiccups. A lot of them were dropped because of injuries as well. Also, several of them hit the Fleet Marine Force inbetween getting dropped from BUD/s out of corps school and then go for the SARC pipeline after gaining some valuable life experience and perspective.

Yeah, we had two wanna be's in my RIP that didn't make it through BUD/S. They told us that they decided to go SARC because it was way easier than BUD/S. According to them RIP had nothing on BUD/S, that is before it actually started. They claimed to last until hell week at BUD/S. They lasted a day and a half at RIP.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the SARC pipeline is easier than the SEAL pipeline. Their are about five or six different courses, all ass kickers, that you have to get through before you can call yourself a SARC. And the SARC's you have to go through to earn it will ensure you are worthy.​
Roger that. I brought it up because I've always thought from just watching and reading about BUD/S and BRC they seem quite similar and equally demanding.

I think some guys gain some maturity from failing out of a SOF pipeline and are stronger for it. Not all of them make it through BRC but they are usually doubly motivated to make it through because of their intial hiccups.

Good point.

SOCOM does not want to pay for non SOCOM Corpsmen to go to SOCM so the Navy is talking about making a new course for Reconnaissance Corpsmen. MARSOC Corpsmen will continue to go to SOCM.

SOCOM does not want to pay for non SOCOM Corpsmen to go to SOCM so the Navy is talking about making a new course for Reconnaissance Corpsmen. MARSOC Corpsmen will continue to go to SOCM.
That explains it. I hope the Navy gets a decent course put together. Then maybe we can borrow a few seats now and then for the guys in the teams.

My point exactly, Sir - be proud of who/what you are - a SARC is a Special Operations Warrior - well trained, motivated, and there for his team. Why call yourself an 18D lite if you are a SARC porter?
Medicine Man here. 37 and have served as a SARC for over a decade. Although I have been on mission with MARSOC, SF and even Seals. I take front on the runs and still come out top five. But....it is getting harder. My recovery time is taking longer. I am the oldest NCO in the Platoon. I love the Marines. I have gotten nothing but respect from them. I carry the title of "Doc" with great pride. I take bullets out of Marines and put them into bad guys. I am still a shooter. But the clock is ticking. I cannot get a straight answer on this. My career with RECON is ending. I don't want to be an instructor. I cannot find out whether completion of SOIDC qualifies me for an IDP assignment. I presume it does. I don't want to work in a hospital. Single with no dependents. Too old for sub school. Maybe an Arleigh Burke. My preference would be Fleet Marine Force, maybe on an Amphib. Assault Ship. I have many more years ahead of me before retirement. I am not anxious to go to the Big Navy but my options are limited. Any input would be appreciated.

Medicine Man here. 37 and have served as a SARC for over a decade. Although I have been on mission with MARSOC, SF and even Seals. I take front on the runs and still come out top five. But....it is getting harder. My recovery time is taking longer. I am the oldest NCO in the Platoon. I love the Marines. I have gotten nothing but respect from them. I carry the title of "Doc" with great pride. I take bullets out of Marines and put them into bad guys. I am still a shooter. But the clock is ticking. I cannot get a straight answer on this. My career with RECON is ending. I don't want to be an instructor. I cannot find out whether completion of SOIDC qualifies me for an IDP assignment. I presume it does. I don't want to work in a hospital. Single with no dependents. Too old for sub school. Maybe an Arleigh Burke. My preference would be Fleet Marine Force, maybe on an Amphib. Assault Ship. I have many more years ahead of me before retirement. I am not anxious to go to the Big Navy but my options are limited. Any input would be appreciated.
@Medicineman -

Please post an intro in the intro thread; this needs to be your next post.
Also, you should consider being Vetted if you are going to engage in these type of conversations.

Yeah, I’m calling bullshit.

5F985883-811F-418C-A893-5E9B4E953892.png

How old are you? You say you’re 37 but your profile says 66. Hmmm.

Back