.SARC Screening?

Jerick

Unverified
I was wondering what exactly does a corpsman have to do to enter the the SARC training pipeline?

I am currently training with a SEAL motivator because i wanted to go to bud/s but I feel that im not ready for it mentally. So I have decided to keep my corpsman contract and possibly try out for SARC and get some experience under my belt before I go to bud/s.

I ultimately want to be a doc in the teams but, definitely take much pride in being a prospective devil doc.

The US Navy is seeking applicants for the HM8427 (Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman) career field to serve with USMC Recon. This is a PRIMARY career field up to E7. Screening occurs in Basic Trng, HM "A" school, or Field Medical Service School and consists of the same elements as diver/seal/eod. Currently serving fleet applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
You are:
- Male
- US Citizen with the ability to obtain a SECRET clearance
- Able to pass a usn specwar/specops physical per MANMED CH15
- Motivated to excel in challenging duty with USMC Reconnaissance
- Striving for a career in recon/trauma/airborne/diving
- A top physical performer

The training pipeline consists of:
- HM "A" School 6-12wks
- Field Medical Service School (FMSS) 5wks
- Basic Reconnaissance School 8wks
- Marine Combatant Dive School 7wks
- Amphib Recon Corpsman School (Diving Medicine) 3wks
- Basic Airborne School 3wks
- Special Operations Medical (18D short course) 6mos

Interested personnel contact your local Navy recruiter.

I was wondering what exactly does a corpsman have to do to enter the the SARC training pipeline?

I am currently training with a SEAL motivator because i wanted to go to bud/s but I feel that im not ready for it mentally. So I have decided to keep my corpsman contract and possibly try out for SARC and get some experience under my belt before I go to bud/s.

I ultimately want to be a doc in the teams but, definitely take much pride in being a prospective devil doc.

To be honest I think you just have to raise your hand and pass some PRT tests. I think you do the recon screener. The Navy lets the pipeline wash out the guys who don't need to be there. This mostly happens at the Basic Reconnaissance Course but I don't know how the course is now that it moved up to SOI. It used to be pretty tough when it was in Coronado. If you go SARC you will not end up in the teams. We get a lot of BUD/s duds and they end up enjoying it on the Marine side of the fence (Recon and MARSOC). I have seen a few go to to BUD/s but I have also seen some lat transfer and go the PJ and ARSOF route as well. They are also in high demand in some of the more high speed units out there as well. Bottom line, the Navy will spend close to two years training to be a SARC and they will be reluctant to lose you to another program. Try it out, I am sure you will find that you will enjoy the community. Once you get into the SOF community you will find that most SOF units get a lot of the same training and operational opportunities to be honest.

I really wish people would stop calling SOCM "18D short course" that is not at all what it is - it is Field Trauma Medicine... There is a lot more that goes into 18D than those 16 weeks... (pardon the rant, it's a sore spot)

We just sent a guy to the second half of the course so he could be an IDC. Anyway you slice it, the SOCM course is a good course. I have seen SOCMs do some incredible things.

To be honest I think you just have to raise your hand and pass some PRT tests. I think you do the recon screener. The Navy lets the pipeline wash out the guys who don't need to be there. This mostly happens at the Basic Reconnaissance Course but I don't know how the course is now that it moved up to SOI. It used to be pretty tough when it was in Coronado. If you go SARC you will not end up in the teams. We get a lot of BUD/s duds and they end up enjoying it on the Marine side of the fence (Recon and MARSOC). I have seen a few go to to BUD/s but I have also seen some lat transfer and go the PJ and ARSOF route as well. They are also in high demand in some of the more high speed units out there as well. Bottom line, the Navy will spend close to two years training to be a SARC and they will be reluctant to lose you to another program. Try it out, I am sure you will find that you will enjoy the community. Once you get into the SOF community you will find that most SOF units get a lot of the same training and operational opportunities to be honest.

That's an odd situation the Navy is in. They have to balance the needs of two Departments. Does the Navy assign a priority, as in SEAL team medical needs above Force Recon/SARC and MARSOC etc or is it assigned proportionally. Do we have someone like the Senior SARC in the Navy putting in his case for sending more corpsmen through the SARC pipeline?

The US Navy is seeking applicants for the HM8427 (Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman) career field to serve with USMC Recon. This is a PRIMARY career field up to E7. Screening occurs in Basic Trng, HM "A" school, or Field Medical Service School and consists of the same elements as diver/seal/eod. Currently serving fleet applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
You are:
- Male

- HM "A" School 6-12wks

I wonder once a Navy Corpsmen becomes a full-fledged SARC and is in a MSOB or Force Recon, does he start going to more of the same courses as his Marines, like High Risk Personnel Course and Military Freefall and Scout Sniper course, or will he spend a lot of his his time doing refresher courses on his Medical skills and even more advanced training. As in, will the plan be to bring him closer to the 0326 folks or will that be unnecessary.

That's an odd situation the Navy is in. They have to balance the needs of two Departments. Does the Navy assign a priority, as in SEAL team medical needs above Force Recon/SARC and MARSOC etc or is it assigned proportionally. Do we have someone like the Senior SARC in the Navy putting in his case for sending more corpsmen through the SARC pipeline?

The SARC program is a high priority for the Navy. SEALs don't have Corpsmen anymore, they send a guy to SOCM and he fills a billet but his rating is still SO special operator. The Navy tries to push a lot of Corpsmen through the pipeline but a lot of guys don't make it through. There is more demand than boat spaces with the expansion of MARSOC. It takes about two years to make a SARC because there is about 15 months of schooling with some time in between schools waiting for classes to open up.

I wonder once a Navy Corpsmen becomes a full-fledged SARC and is in a MSOB or Force Recon, does he start going to more of the same courses as his Marines, like High Risk Personnel Course and Military Freefall and Scout Sniper course, or will he spend a lot of his his time doing refresher courses on his Medical skills and even more advanced training. As in, will the plan be to bring him closer to the 0326 folks or will that be unnecessary.

SARCs go to the same courses as Recon Marines minus sniper. They do CQB, breacher, MFF, Ranger, RSLC, etc. They can go to jump master but don't go as much. No one really goes to HRP but they can if they want. I have seen SARCs as team leaders and ATLs and I have heard of one who was a company operations chief.

We just sent a guy to the second half of the course so he could be an IDC. Anyway you slice it, the SOCM course is a good course. I have seen SOCMs do some incredible things.

My point exactly, Sir - be proud of who/what you are - a SARC is a Special Operations Warrior - well trained, motivated, and there for his team. Why call yourself an 18D lite if you are a SARC porter?

SARCs go to the same courses as Recon Marines minus sniper. They do CQB, breacher, MFF, Ranger, RSLC, etc. They can go to jump master but don't go as much. No one really goes to HRP but they can if they want. I have seen SARCs as team leaders and ATLs and I have heard of one who was a company operations chief.

I've read that this was especially common before they normalized the Recon MOS. I remember someone at 3rd Recon Battalion telling me that the Corpsman overseeing our MCIWS class was a team leader in 4th Force Recon before moving to 3rd Recon Battalion.

I wonder where the 5 active duty S/S's in the Marine Corps work? Possibly Marines who crossed over to become Navy Corpsmen? Do you need to be S/S qualified to be a spotter? I believe the Spotter in Gunnery Sergeant McCollough's book was a Corpsmen. I could be wrong though.

I really wish people would stop calling SOCM "18D short course" that is not at all what it is - it is Field Trauma Medicine... There is a lot more that goes into 18D than those 16 weeks... (pardon the rant, it's a sore spot)

I think it is an absolutely viable rant. I think any 18D who spent two years of their life in school would agree.

You are:
- Male

- HM "A" School 6-12wks

I would have to agree with X SF MED that it is not an 18D short course.

My point exactly, Sir - be proud of who/what you are - a SARC is a Special Operations Warrior - well trained, motivated, and there for his team. Why call yourself an 18D lite if you are a SARC porter?

I have never heard a SARC call himself an 18D, I have always heard other guys refer to them as going to 18D. I have heard them refer to themselves as SOCMs, isn't that the name of the course? We had some medevac crews in AF that refered to themselves as SOCMS but never served with a SOF unit to my knowledge.

Sir, you missed a few of the guys who claimed to be 18D's when they weren't even in the Army (the most notorious was the SARC who claimed 18D and SEAL and Marine Recon), and the guys who were in the Army but weren't SF and had never even attempted an 18 series MOS... who were 18D's because they went to SOCM. And then would argue with 18D's that they had done "the training"...

Hence the chapped ass about this subject.

I've read that this was especially common before they normalized the Recon MOS. I remember someone at 3rd Recon Battalion telling me that the Corpsman overseeing our MCIWS class was a team leader in 4th Force Recon before moving to 3rd Recon Battalion.

Keep in mind that 4th Force is a reserve unit and everything is different in the reserves.

I wonder where the 5 active duty S/S's in the Marine Corps work? Possibly Marines who crossed over to become Navy Corpsmen? Do you need to be S/S qualified to be a spotter? I believe the Spotter in Gunnery Sergeant McCollough's book was a Corpsmen. I could be wrong though.

What do you mean by the 5 active duty scout snipers??? You do not have to be a sniper to spot for a sniper.

Have you considered HM-8493, Dive Medical Technician? I think once through their initial schools they can go to SEAL, SDV, and Recon among other dive units. Just a thought...

Back