Save the Ukraine

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
You ate too many mushroom with pizza, and now think you are SecDef.

What's your advice to the President regarding the Ukraine?

I'll go first.

82nd launches the DRB (via an EDRE) and conducts joint Airborne Ops with the Polish Army along the Polish/Ukraine Border.

You also try to get as many NATO countries to join the exercise and give the Poles some comfort that NATO is (no shit), with them on this.

Fire away.

At this point I'd think we're talking about a show of force in the media and less about actual capabilities.

I'd add a small surface action group (SAG) in the Black Sea. I'd mention that we haven't ruled out sending an SSN to the area...even though I wouldn't send a sub.

I'd surge some AF assets to the region. Even a small component can generate press. Add an AWACS or two, some -22's, maybe a couple of tankers.

You're at least doing something, the cost and manpower impact is minimal, and you're setting the stage for larger forces as needed. You can always cloak them under the "assuring the safety of US citizens" mantra. Little things without too much escalation.

It is an absolute shame that we haven't learned a thing about IO operations in the last decade because this would a perfect opportunity for them to play a large role.

Request CIA clandestine service shifts focus to the Ukraine.

FAST Company ROTA to the US Embassy in Kiev. 82nd DRB flies to Germany. 75th RRF to Poland, 1st Battalion 10th SFG quietly into the Ukraine, 1 Squadron Delta also quietly into the Ukraine.

HBCT from 3rd ID to Germany…it will take awhile.

Mediterranean Destroyer Squadron to Istanbul and prep to go into the Black Sea. The last part may get us into a shooting war fast though. All of this would need to be done in concert with NATO allies throwing down some manpower.

And I thought the Fulda Gap scenario was gone forever....where are the Pershings when you need them. And hey, those A-10's they want to can may come in handy....

Freefalling....I would venture to guess some SSN's are already lurking pretty close by.

Bet the fuck thay decided we pulled out of Germany is second guessing things now. We should have never pulled out 4 Bde.

A full on cooperative Ex among NATO's finest. Bring out the old tactics books and run a full assault East. Then set up camp for "tea time".

Bet the fuck thay decided we pulled out of Germany is second guessing things now. We should have never pulled out 4 Bde.

A full on cooperative Ex among NATO's finest. Bring out the old tactics books and run a full assault East. Then set up camp for "tea time".
As long as camp is in Poland.

Unless it goes nuclear, stay the hell out of it. Nothing in either of those countries worth an American life.

Any escalation and or show of force will be met with escalation and further show of force by Russia. They are not going to back down, that's just not how they roll. Since 2008 Russia has been poking us in the eye, both politically and militarily and they are not going to stop.

Bottom line, Putin is a better statesman and is outclassing our retard of an excuse for a POTUS, and lets not even get into SECDEF.

We are going to look stupid and weak from this, again. The best the we can do going forward from here is get our stupid POTUS to shut is stupid mouth and stay out of shit out of our control unless we are actually going to do something.

I honestly think Obama missed that gym locker-room fight where you learn to nut up or shut up.

My $.02

Are you talking about Poland? or Ukraine/Russia.

All of them. I have one question about any overseas conflict. Is it worth my son's life? If the answer is no, then I don't believe we should be there.

30 billion screaming NKs coming into Myrtle Beach is a different story of course.

All of them. I have one question about any overseas conflict. Is it worth my son's life? If the answer is no, then I don't believe we should be there.

30 billion screaming NKs coming into Myrtle Beach is a different story of course.
Poland is a NATO Member, we are obligated under Art 5 (IIRC) to assist in their defense.

You ate too many mushroom with pizza, and now think you are SecDef.

What's your advice to the President regarding the Ukraine?

I'll go first.

82nd launches the DRB (via an EDRE) and conducts joint Airborne Ops with the Polish Army along the Polish/Ukraine Border.

You also try to get as many NATO countries to join the exercise and give the Poles some comfort that NATO is (no shit), with them on this.

Fire away.
Overall, I don't view Crimea an issue that we should be overly involved in. That said, we did give Ukraine security assurances around their sovereignty back in the mid-90's. So, it is what it is and here we are....

First thing, I'd start by telling him to give give Polish President Komorowski a call and tell him, "About the missile defense stuff...I was wrong. When is a good time for us to come over and install that for you?" Make this a broad announcement and make sure it's clear that the decision was reversed in light of Putin's lack of trustworthiness. See how that plays.

We've pulled out of G8 talks, so that's good too.

Lastly, I'd tell him and the rest of the administration to keep their collective yaps shut on the big boy talk until they really have a plan.

That didn't turn out too well last time...
Kind of late in the game to have second thoughts about that "common defense clause" isn't it.

Art 5 has been invoked once (twice?), and I find it ironic that American's would suddenly blanche at another NATO Nation invoking Art 5.

Kind of late in the game to have second thoughts about that "common defense clause" isn't it.

Art 5 has been invoked once (twice?), and I find it ironic that American's would suddenly blanche at another NATO Nation invoking Art 5.

No second thoughts here, I just think people should be aware of the potential consequences i.e. the USA suffered 416,000 + deaths in WWII.

Does anyone here think the US will go to Tawain's aid if China invades?

Some things are worth fighting and dying for. The Crimea? Not one of those things, to anyone (not even the Ukraine IMO), except Russia.

Back