Sec Mabus and Lady SEALs

Its taken the bigwigs this long to "allow women in combat" or whatever BS they're saying(as though they weren't already in combat unofficially anyway), I'd imagine it'd take quite a few more years for there to be women SEALS.
If such a thing were to occur that is.

So speaks the wisdom of youth and inexperience.

LL

So speaks the wisdom of youth and inexperience.

LL
Well fair enough, in the way of SOF I have no idea about how that will progress and for all intents I'll admit I was talking out of my ass. As for the posts about women in combat I happen to have a family member who ended up running convoys through Irish in Baghdad, then she ran throughout the rest of Iraq with 19D. So mentally I think (again speaking out of my league here) that there are quite a few women who can keep up in combat, but as with everything its person to person. Physically I don't have any info for me to make a judgement but for anyone with doubts about dealing with the stress mentally it can and has been done. I'll take whatever flak for those statements but I stand behind what I said.

Well fair enough, in the way of SOF I have no idea about how that will progress and for all intents I'll admit I was talking out of my ass. As for the posts about women in combat I happen to have a family member who ended up running convoys through Irish in Baghdad, then she ran throughout the rest of Iraq with 19D. So mentally I think (again speaking out of my league here) that there are quite a few women who can keep up in combat, but as with everything its person to person. Physically I don't have any info for me to make a judgement but for anyone with doubts about dealing with the stress mentally it can and has been done. I'll take whatever flak for those statements but I stand behind what I said.
Driving a truck is one thing, humping your body wieght plus is another.
Women are serving well, but I don't want positions opened up so we can prove how progressive our society is.

Driving a truck is one thing, humping your body wieght plus is another.
Women are serving well, but I don't want positions opened up so we can prove how progressive our society is.

If a woman can pick me up and carry me to cover (with both of us in kit) she meets my standard... We have women in the SOCM course as students now, they have to meet the male PT standard, and have to pick up and move with their male counterparts. I think 1 female has passed so far. Out of maybe 20 or so that have tried.

... blah blah blah...

You have no experience. You are talking out your ass. Best to quit talking at all. We are not interested in your third hand opinions. Just because you have a family member of the female variety who's been in the sandbox and furthermore, outside the wire in said sandbox does NOT equate to you personally have any sort of experience. Until you've had that same sand grinding in an open sore on your gonads for 3 days straight with no hope of ever getting it cleaned, SHUT UP!

Listen to the previous two posters, cback and SOWT. This is a board composed primarily of and about a small segment of the military world, Special Operations. Their world is NOT about running convoys. There are places in the military for women in general and some rather special places where a very few might be useful.

Consider this. How many men actually make it through the Q Course, Ranger School, the Green Platoon, Hell Week, Recon School, etc..?
They are the elite of the elite, their physical and mental toughness has been tested by a common standard in those schools. Why on earth would they want to risk their lives with a team mate who hasn't been tested to those same standards? If a woman can manage to pass those same standards then I'm all for it. Remember, we're talking the Special Operations world, not the general military. Now in the general military, there may come a time when Joe/Jane Snuffy, the admin clerk/dishwasher/mechanic is called upon to rise far above to accomplish the impossible and they do. (and remember history is littered with ones who don't) THAT is NOT the same. I don't expect Joe/Jane to be trained/prepared to do what the men of the SO world train for and prepare to do. Not everyone can do what they do - and I respect them for that. Until you've done what they've done, you have no clue.

LL

(again speaking out of my league here)...Physically I don't have any info for me to make a judgement...

Protip: If this were a philosophy class you'd be fine, sports or politics and you'd be fine, but some topics require experience not second hand or anecdotal information.

Sigh... counter to what most peeps think, I AM just a little cognizant of the modren hip world, and I DO know that the younger generation has taken to using the words, "dude" and "guy/s" as generic non-gender specific terms. I think I'm fighting a losing battle in the proliferation of such an atrocity. There is something to be said for the specificity and formality of "old-fashioned" words.

LL

Sigh... counter to what most peeps think, I AM just a little cognizant of the modren hip world, and I DO know that the younger generation has taken to using the words, "dude" and "guy/s" as generic non-gender specific terms. I think I'm fighting a losing battle in the proliferation of such an atrocity. There is something to be said for the specificity and formality of "old-fashioned" words.

LL

Dude, let it go, man.

I happen to have a family member who ended up running convoys through Irish in Baghdad, then she ran throughout the rest of Iraq with 19D.

I'm so tired of hearing this BS line being repeated on the news, by politicians, and now by you. Driving in a convoy is not "combat". Convoy operations are not deliberate operations meant to kill or capture the enemy.

The military used to differentiate (and not very long ago, <5 years) between combat patrols, reconnaissance patrols, and everything else. Up until FM 3-21.8 superseded FM 7-8, only ambushes and raids were combat patrols. Now, it's all combat.

If a woman can pick me up and carry me to cover (with both of us in kit) she meets my standard... ~snip~ while still looking somewhat like a woman.

Fixed it for you, Ugly Betty who use to beat up on her brothers and looks like she has a 5:00pm shadow need not apply.}:-)

You have no experience. You are talking out your ass. Best to quit talking at all. We are not interested in your third hand opinions. Just because you have a family member of the female variety who's been in the sandbox and furthermore, outside the wire in said sandbox does NOT equate to you personally have any sort of experience. Until you've had that same sand grinding in an open sore on your gonads for 3 days straight with no hope of ever getting it cleaned, SHUT UP!

LL

Well said LL! :thumbsup:

I'm so tired of hearing this BS line being repeated on the news, by politicians, and now by you. Driving in a convoy is not "combat". Convoy operations are not deliberate operations meant to kill or capture the enemy.

As someone who has been deployed on both mission, light Infantry in Baghdad 04-05 and Convoy Security in Anbar 08-09, I fully agree with Etype. Riding down the road with a once in a while IED, harrassing fire is a far cry from going into a denied area and having to hunt down the enemy to capture or kill them. Different like, I could have slept my whole last deployment......wait I think I may have.......yeah whatever. They are not even remotely close to the same thing.

The military used to differentiate (and not very long ago, <5 years) between combat patrols, reconnaissance patrols, and everything else. Up until FM 3-21.8 superseded FM 7-8, only ambushes and raids were combat patrols. Now, it's all combat.

Spot on Etype, I get about sick and tired of people claiming heroic fairytales of world coming to an end gunfights, while they were pushing fule trucks around in some wild-wild-west area of Iraq. "Combat" is a two way gunfight where you are shooting and moving on the enemy, or the enemy is doing the same to you (Ambushing the enemy, the enemy ambushing you, deny and disrupt patrols, raiding the enemy, etc). That is not the same as laying down some fire and hitting a gas peddal trying to get out of the A/O...

Back