SF Soldier Arrested After C-4 Found Near House

TheSiatonist

Designated Hoops Sniper!
SF soldier arrested after C-4 found near house

By Erik Schelzig and Kristin M. Hall - The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Nov 2, 2009 19:38:13 EST

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A Special Forces soldier was arrested Monday after a pair of hunters found about 100 pounds of explosives outside his home near Fort Campbell.

Timothy Ryan Richards was charged with possessing two unregistered guns, and Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent Eric Kehn said he expects Richards will face more charges related to the explosives.

A sworn statement said agents found about 100 pounds of explosives — including C-4, a plastic explosive commonly used by the military. The material was sealed in watertight containers and partially buried near his home outside of Clarksville, near the sprawling Army post on the Tennessee-Kentucky state line.

Joel Siskovic, a spokesman for the FBI in Tennessee, said agents from the Joint Terrorism Task Force were called to the scene, but determined there was no terrorism connection.

According to police, two hunters found the explosives early Sunday morning and alerted the sheriff’s department.

ATF agents contacted Richards and he told agents that he had placed the explosives there, according to the affidavit.

Agents also found a 5.56mm caliber rifle and a .45 caliber machine gun inside his home.

Maj. April Olsen, a spokeswoman for the Army Special Forces at Fort Campbell, confirmed that he was a member of the 5th Special Forces Group, but his age and rank weren’t immediately available.

He appeared in court handcuffed in green coveralls. U.S. Magistrate Clifton Knowles ordered the federal public defender’s office to represent him and that he be held until a hearing Thursday.

He didn’t make any statements, but acknowledged to the judge that he understand the charge. He faces a maximum 10 years in prison if convicted on the weapons charge.

Another Fort Campbell soldier was arrested in October and charged with selling four stolen hand grenades and a stolen anti-tank rocket to an undercover officer in Tennessee.

Prosecutors said the transaction with Pfc. Joshua Bartlett Etherton, a 101st Airborne Division soldier, was arranged after police in the small town of Paris received a tip, but they would not say who he believed was the buyer.

He remains held without bond.

Don't the boy scouts call this "being prepared"? I'd say he's going to go for a skate. 100pds is a bit more that the normal pyro you will find in a Soldiers shed, speaking of which I really should check there is nothing in mine...

How SF Supply Sergeants were busted around FBNC in the 70's & 80's for C4/Claymores/.556 & 7.62 ammo/MRE's in the 70's and 80's?

a. Poor HR procedures at unit level for munitions? In depth review to start.... yesterday by CoC....

b. Poor caching practice.

c. Poor situational awareness admitting ownership.

a. Poor HR procedures at unit level for munitions? unless they were written off as expended, some 18A/180A maybe sweating a little today.

unless they were written off as expended, some 18A/180A maybe sweating a little today.

a. In depth review to start.... yesterday by CoC....

His ODA (or work section getting reamed first, all training stops as we account for weapons (he probably built the M-4 from parts).

b. Poor caching practice.

agree

agree again, wife tells me this is common in the military, and another reason why the military has such a high conviction rate.

You seem very guilty! Are you sure he didn't get it from your garage? Wait, are you even close enough for him to get it.

I haven't been to Clarksville in ages, not since I was dating a dude from 5SFG(A). That's how I know it's not my stash.......oops, did I say that? :doh:

Please don't let it be a support guy.....

I looked him up on AKO, for curiosity's sake. The guy's listed as an 18-series NCO.

What does the 5.56 rifle and the .45 ACP machine gun have to do with anything ?

Assumming the machine gun was registered, then neither have a damn thing to do with anything. :rolleyes:

He's facing serious charges, but I love it when they associate a couple of firearms with the actual story. They have nothing to do with the situation at hand. :uhh:

God forbid that a Special Forces Soldier has an AR15 and a registered machine gun. Jeeeeez !!

Back