Socks and Insoles

slick

Verified Military
I usually see a mass amount of information regarding boots, but rarely anything about insoles and socks. Also, its always tough to take some reviews to heart on websites because you have no idea what kind of stress people are putting their gear through. So, I thought it would be appropriate to begin a discussion covering the material, thickness, etc. of socks and the performance of soles.

I currently use Wigwam All Terrain Hikers, which IMO is a great mid-weight sock. I have a big problem with Athlete's Foot and since I have started using them its made a 180. I find they don't get stretched out as some socks do and they don't bunch or slide, even when they are soaking wet.

Now, I'm in the market for some soles and I'm debating if I want to go with Superfeet or SOLE's. I've been looking at the Superfeet Orange and Green, as well as, SOLEs Signature DK Response and the Ultra Softecs. Recommendations of these or any better suggestions?

For what purposes are you seeking the sock advice? If you're simply doing footmarches over open country or on roads, then two pairs of issued, O.D. green, cushion-soled socks did my feet just fine. If you're going to be humping in the mountains of Afghanistan, though, something a little bit higher quality might be in order.

As far as insoles, I was never a believer until our S4 in the 160th (who also happens to be a member of this site) ordered a bunch of Dr. Sholes. Between them, my socks, and my Vibram soles, my feet were feeling pretty good! :thumbsup: But then again, that was only one 12-miler a week, over very even ground. YMMV.

I use point6 Hiker Tech Medium crew, looking to get the Boot Light Over Calf as well. I used to have Danner Acadia socks...but of the 8 I originally had I think I have two. I've tried Fox River...they just don't fit my feet right. I believe in socks...my feet are horrible, they blister easily, as long as I'm running a lot and have them in shoes all day I'm good to go when it comes to foot marches. Yet with bad boots and bad socks my feet have taken me down.

I've used Danner Fatigue Fighter in my oxfords, but for the most part I've been alright without insoles as long as I shell out the dough for good boots.

I'm wearing bamboo socks at work now, unbelievable, very easy to get on, both the sock and the boot, same for getting them off. They wick moisture away brilliantly, the only drama being that they take a bit of drying compared to cotton/wool socks. I won't be going back to traditional fibres any time soon.

I'm wearing bamboo socks at work now, unbelievable, very easy to get on, both the sock and the boot, same for getting them off. They wick moisture away brilliantly, the only drama being that they take a bit of drying compared to cotton/wool socks. I won't be going back to traditional fibres any time soon.

What a hippy. Are you wearing tie dyed t shirts and a sarong around with your bamboo socks?

I'm not necessarily looking for advice on socks, just wanted to know what people were using and how they like them. Now as far as the soles, I'm looking for something a little better. I use Dr. Sholes, but I think there are probably more robust products that are for reasonable prices. For my uses its a mixture between outdoor adventuring to deployments. I'm always on my feet and always on the go.

Never wore socks unless it was winter, just let my jungle boots callous my feet to point I didn't have to worry about hot spots. Didn't start wearing any type of insole until recently, but go with any good quality gel insert. If you are going to be running and jumping then don't get the kind with a gel pocket or they may burst.

Agreed. I've got issues with sweating feet and I'm wearing the bamboo on a daily basis for just about anything. Totally surprised at the wicking capability, just bought them cuz they felt soft.

LL

I'm not necessarily looking for advice on socks, just wanted to know what people were using and how they like them. Now as far as the soles, I'm looking for something a little better. I use Dr. Sholes, but I think there are probably more robust products that are for reasonable prices. For my uses its a mixture between outdoor adventuring to deployments. I'm always on my feet and always on the go.
I am going to give you fucking sock advice and you are going to like it!!!

I am going to give you fucking sock advice and you are going to like it!!!

Nope... NEVER listen to the Bear... he lies and gives bad advice... he's mad because they don't make stuff in his size, he's a freak of nature... except in one area, but that makes his wife giggle....

(yes, I realize I will be bent, folded, stapled, mutilated and the crushed by the bad tempered giant... but I got the first shot in and landed it!)

I can vouch for SmartWool as far as their running socks go. I own at least a dozen pair. I can only imagine their boot socks would be of the same superior quality. If you do choose SmartWool, check out backcountrydotcom. They offer a pretty deep mil discount.

I can vouch for SmartWool as far as their running socks go. I own at least a dozen pair. I can only imagine their boot socks would be of the same superior quality. If you do choose SmartWool, check out backcountrydotcom. They offer a pretty deep mil discount.

This. It took two seconds for me to email them from my @state email account and they were back to me in two days. The discounts are really nice and they made sure to make it clear that I should share my linked discount with any of my buds out here where i'm at,

Back