aviyrm.jpg

HiRes

98c1te.jpg

HiRes

29cs86f.jpg

HiRes

35i4tb4.jpg

HiRes

FORT BRAGG, N.C. -- Rangers from the 75th Ranger Regiment, provide a demonstration on a direct-action raid during the 2012 U.S. Army Special Operations Command Capabilities Exercise at Fort Bragg, April 20. (USASFC(A) Photo by Staff Sgt. Marcus Butler)

Dogs are the new hot item, everyone wants one while on patrol nowadays.

SF and Rangers both have their own dogs. Most conventional units use dogs from either MP or Master at Arms units- the Air Force has some too I think.

I can't speak for Rangers, but SF dogs are bomb, bite, and tracking dogs. Most conventional dogs only do one or two of the three. The 3rd Group dogs seem to have a very good record of success and most teams request one when they deploy. Our dog handler was the real deal and worked with his dog daily.

It's got me buggered why Infantry Battalions (in all countries) don't have visual and scent tracking platoons. Seek out and close with the enemy. It's in the job description, yet we pay this skills lip service at best.

Our military mindset is: a dog it a tool for finding out drugs and bombs. And only MP and EOD units should have K-9s.
Two wars, 9 years....no lessons learned.....
The ROE for a dog bite is usually a lot looser than actually shooting someone, and if you are in a rural area there's really no way to escape the dog. They can also do some incredible CQB work. The US has been on board for at least 8 years or so on the multi-purpose dogs, but only recently have we started fielding them in larger numbers.

What types of dogs are favorites for this type of tasks? I'm am assuming the dogs are shipped from the US (?).

====================

Some nice Ranger photos from the past...

rangersgothicserpent011gh.jpg

rangersgothicserpent020lz.jpg

rangerscsargothicserpent8eb.jpg

mog6ng.jpg

Back