Some Ranger Pix

Nick, if you're claiming to be a SOF veteran, you're going to need to be vetted as well. Instructions on the vetting process are in the stickies. Welcome to the site.

2e0ths9.jpg
U.S. Army Rangers, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, participate in a Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise (CALFX) near Fort Stewart, Ga., Jan. 10, 2012.

msjaxy.jpg
U.S. Army Rangers, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, participate in a Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise (CALFX) near Fort Stewart, Ga., Jan. 10, 2012.

2uyroqq.jpg
U.S. Army Rangers, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, participate in a Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise (CALFX) near Fort Stewart, Ga., Jan. 10, 2012

2vcxd6x.jpg

2ihw37o.jpg
U.S. Army Rangers, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, participate in a Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise (CALFX) near Fort Stewart, Ga., Jan. 11, 2012.

241v6z5.jpg
U.S. Army Rangers, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, participate in a Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise (CALFX) near Fort Stewart, Ga., Jan. 11, 2012.

Some nice photo's. Not trying to hijack the forum but any active members of the regiment that could PM me regarding some questions? Prefer to ask this way instead of posting a separate thread out of respect to all on here.

appreciated goon, just didn't wanna seem like i'm jumping the gun. regardless what others may think, there are SOME Marines out there who think before acting :P

appreciated goon, just didn't wanna seem like i'm jumping the gun. regardless what others may think, there are SOME Marines out there who think before acting :p

I'm headed to RASP and I know some other guys on here want to go to the Regiment so I'm sure we'd like to read along, or at least I know I would...not saying my opinion carries any weight on the subject.

Is that a 60mm mortar in trigger fire mode or a commando style mortar? Do the Ranger 11C's get to do a lot of line of site mortar missions? Might actually make that job worthwhile.
Reed (former airborne 11C that disliked it greatly)
I had to look up a commando-style mortar. Technically I guess it's both? It's definitely a 60mm likely in trigger mode probably without a base plate. And by line of sight you probably mean direct fire? I'm unaware of it. I imagine that's what AT/Gustavs are for. I haven't heard of an 11C ever say that job was worthwhile. Except one buddy of mine that came back from a deployment talking about some dude turning into pink mist and getting like 23 kills or some such thing. He seemed quite pleased with himself.

I think its a right place, right time kind of MOS. If you don't meet those pre-req's, it probably pretty much sucks. Not my words....just every 11C I ever talked to...haha
More like a wrong time wrong place MOS.:p Never met an 11C that did not enlist to be an 11B, myself included.
Reed

I had to look up a commando-style mortar. Technically I guess it's both? It's definitely a 60mm likely in trigger mode probably without a base plate. And by line of sight you probably mean direct fire? I'm unaware of it. I imagine that's what AT/Gustavs are for. I haven't heard of an 11C ever say that job was worthwhile. Except one buddy of mine that came back from a deployment talking about some dude turning into pink mist and getting like 23 kills or some such thing. He seemed quite pleased with himself.
If it's a 60, it has a baseplate, just a small one they call a patrol base plate. By line of site, I mean with the 60mm mortar you can aim over the barrel at a target and use the elevation bubble in the handle to guestimate range and adjust off the fall of the first round. Always wanted to do it more often then we did (once in my 4 years IIRC).
Reed

If it's a 60, it has a baseplate, just a small one they call a patrol base plate. By line of site, I mean with the 60mm mortar you can aim over the barrel at a target and use the elevation bubble in the handle to guestimate range and adjust off the fall of the first round. Always wanted to do it more often then we did (once in my 4 years IIRC).
Reed
Ah not an 11C 8-). But yeah they do do that.

Our mortarmen love being mortarmen. It's like a mafia, a card playing, coffee drinking, jaffel eating mafia.

As do ours. They rock around with their big brew mugs and "lock up your daughters, here comes mortars" T-Shirts like the sun shines out of thier arse. Fat cunts, they used to bitch about having to detach a section and go all tactical to support our patrols. Even the MFCs tended to be fat, and they all played league for some reason.

Whats the beaten zone and killing radius like on the 60mm? We only ever had 81mms and they were all good for most things a grunt wants them to do.

Back in the day our blokes were mad on 500, I gather somewhere around 2004 when gen X started getting their foot in the door they found the game too complex and reverted to arsehole, or go fish... I can't remember which one now. :-"

Back