Some Ranger Pix

Wohoo! The Regiments FB page is back - aaand that means great pix.

35cpop0.jpg
Rangers of A Co., 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment await their aircraft after completing a mission in Khost Province, Afghanistan in May 2012.

What part of "Don't answer that and stop while you are ahead" do you not understand?

You are the fifth or so kid to come in here within the last 3 months to tell us what they "know." I think one may still be here because the others couldn't to be told "You don't know jack." They were furious and they stomped their feet and gnashed their teeth and showed us what they "know."

They were banned for failing to follow simple instructions. When you're older you'll understand. Several of us were in your position before and now we see that we didn't know jack back then and had not earned the right to run our know-it-all mouths.

So, I'll repeat myself, "Don't answer that and stop while you are ahead."

Seriously, don't respond. Read more, post less.

:ROFLMAO:

Some 2nd Ranger Battalion history this time:

11w4row.jpg
A Co Weapons PLT at JOTC in Ft. Sherman, Panama 1988.

33a9jt5.jpg
A Co Weapons PLT during Operation Just Cause. Photo was taken at Balboa Park in Panama City while A Co was guarding the American Embassy.

2cnyqyt.jpg
A Co Weapons PLT preparing for a tailgate jump out of a C-130 with a bulldozer. 1988, Ft. Campbell, KY.

That sort of makes sense in the context of history just not common sense.

At the time, SF wasn't a branch or MOS, it was an identifier which meant that the community didn't "own" its personnel. Post-Vietnam SF lost...2 Groups I think (6 and 8) plus 5th decreased in size plus the loss of some independent companies on top of Big Army's push to stand up the new Ranger units which went from companies to full battalions. From a "we need qualified people" perspective I sort of understand, but there was probably some "Screw SF" in the decision as well.

5th, 7th and 10th were the only post VN era groups left. Towards the end of the 70's, 7th SFG was on it's way out the door as well. It was scheduled for deactivation and then, along comes Ronnie Reagan. From that point on, it was a complete turn around in numbers.

As for Abrams Charter and it's plank holders, it's true the ranks were heavy with SF veterans. Below is a pic from the old days at 2/75.

175jpg.jpg

34gnhgh.jpg

A Ranger from C Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment operating against Afghan insurgents in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, May 2012. (Photo by Army Sgt. Sean K. Harp)

'Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country.'

Got a question: why do some guys use a double tube NOD, and others utilise a monocular?

Got a question: why do some guys use a double tube NOD, and others utilise a monocular?
There are also some (old) guys that still prefer having one eye adapted to the dark of night and one looking through the tube. Some folks wear their PVS-14 over their non-firing eye so they don't have to flip their NVG up if they use white light. I always preferred having it over my firing eye and shooting with my laser or green through my NVG. I don't like giving up the advantage of night+NVGs.

When I came to the 82nd as a private, we didn't have NVGs for every man and they were PVS-7s at that. When I left the 82nd as a SGT, we had one set of PVS-14s per man. I've seen several different new kinds of NVDs fielded in SF in my few years here. What I'm saying is, night vision technology and it's employment has been evolving very quickly lately- what people were using or doing 2 years ago may be old news.

Back