Some Ranger Pix

CA8C4.jpg

A Ranger from C Company, 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment pulls security on a doorway and attempts to clear as much of a sub-level room as possible from an external position during combat operations against Afghan insurgents in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, July 2012. (Army Photo by Spc. Justin A Young)

Man, the whole Ranger mission set is just cool as shit.

"So, what do you actually do in work?"

"I go to where the enemy lives, kick his door in and shoot him in the face"

DA FTW.

It's crazy to see these guys going all the way back to using the "leg" SAW. My understanding is that the Regiment ditched the Mk46 because they could get mother Army to pay for the upgrades they wanted to the M249. I've also been told that they kicked the Mk48 to the curb (an absolute travesty in my opinion as a former Gun Team Leader) after Delta did some informal testing. The downside to the Mk46 and Mk48 is that certain parts of them do need to be replaced after every X amount of rounds are fired but who the hells keep a round count on a machine gun?

I'm not sure the thinking behind the 46 swap out, but I know they ditched the 48 b/c they now have the 240L, which is lighter and supposedly more reliable, as well as the fact that mother army will pay for it.

I take it back, its 4 pounds heavier than the 48, but has waaay more durability. I can why they may have turned this way though, as the 7.62 machine gun plays a much larger role in afghanistan than it ever did in Iraq. I think the change just reflects the current operating environment.

I can't believe I'm about to post an airsoft forum link, but it gives the run down of the two weapons systems.

http://airsoftinformations.blogspot.com/2011/06/us-army-to-buy-3053-lightweight-m240l.html

Anybody have the barrel length on the new 240L? I know the Army is playing around with some new calibers as well like .338. I thought the Mk46 had negligible advantages, but the Mk48 was uncannily light and had great ergonomics compared to the 240. But yeah I heard it's all a money game. Big Army will supply both the 240L and M249 without the 75th having to use their mfp-11 funds.

The M240L has had serious problems as well. The receivers were bending when they were mounted to hard points like pivot mounts and pintles on a humvee.

I remember touring the FN facility it SC about 4 years ago, they were looking for feedback on how to improve the 240B without completely changing it. They were also experimenting on how to get the receiver down to the least amount of material possible while still keeping it strong, one of the early 240L prototypes was about 4 pounds lighter than the B- I guess that additional pound they knocked off to make 5# lighter was too much.

Ground Assault Force.

Etype, I think they were putting aluminum (or another softer metal) on steel (the pintle mount) and that was what was causing the issue.

A blast from a very distant past:

33dxbad.jpg

(Pictured: Rangers of the 1st Ranger Battalion training for the Dieppe Raid)

On this date, Aug. 19, 1942-- Seventy years ago today, five officers and 44 enlisted Rangers of the 1st Ranger Battalion took part in the Dieppe Raid with Canadian and British Commandos. They were the first U.S. ground forces to see combat against the Germans on the European continent.

Three Rangers were killed and several were captured during the operation. The first American soldier killed in Europe in World War II was part of the Dieppe Raid, Ranger Lieutenant E. V. Loustalot. During the mission, he took command after a British Captain leading an assault was killed. Loustalot scaled a steep cliff with his men, was wounded three times, and was eventually cut down by enemy crossfire during his attempts to reach a machine-gun nest at the top of the cliff.

Though the raid was considered a disaster for Allied forces (3,600 Allied losses compared to less than 600 German losses), the Rangers of the 1st Ranger Battalion earned the respect and esteem of their Canadian and British Commando brothers.

Rangers Lead The Way!

Back