Some Ranger Pix

mj1h0.jpg

“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.” ― Winston Churchill

(U.S. Army photo by Spc. Philip L. Diab)

Rangers Lead The Way!

Nein!

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/11/07/rough-men/

https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwelnat.htm

Those who "abjure" violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf.

The first link breaks it down rather well. Basically, the quote is someone paraphrasing a number of Orwell's ideas.

From an earlier work, about Kipling* no less:

He sees clearly that men can only be highly civilized while other
men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them.

http://www.george-orwell.org/Rudyard_Kipling/0.html

* - If you're on this board and not reading/ have read Kipling...I hope there's a valid reason for that.

Photos courtesy of Hogdiver of MPnet

6p50eq.jpg

qq68uo.jpg

f9dw9e.jpg

A coalition security force member provides security during an operation in Pul-e 'Alam district, Logar province, March 30, 2013.
http://i47.tinypic.com/96dr83.jpg
ojsqe.jpg

A coalition security force member scans for potential enemy during an operation in Pul-e 'Alam district, Logar province, March 30, 2013.
The operation resulted in the detainment of a senior Taliban leader and several other insurgents. Taliban leader is accused of a wide range of insurgent operations in Logar, including recruiting extremist fighters, managing the militant's logistical network for the province, and planning and coordinating attacks against Afghan and coalition forces. In late February, the commander and fellow ranking insurgency members allegedly plotted to assassinate President Karzai and U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan James Cunningham. The security force also seized one AK-47 and two AK-47 magazines. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Coty Kuhn)

Have really enjoyed checking out the long gun setups that have recently populated this thread.

2ezttfd.jpg

Rangers from 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, train on their Honda bikes in 1995 at Hunter Army Airfield, Ga. (Pictured from left to right: Ranger Corey Collins, Ranger James Moore, Ranger Trevor Debeor, Ranger Kenneth Johnston, and Ranger James Noel.)

This photo is courtesy of Ranger Kenneth Johnston.

Rangers Lead The Way!

Such a nice day for killing bad guys...
PUTPaDc.jpg

A Ranger from 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, pulls security during a combat operation in Paktiya Province, Afghanistan, April 17, 2013. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Codie M. Mendenhall)

Why do I get the feeling that footage is gonna end up on YouTube next week?
BsY4dnX.jpg

A Ranger from 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, scans for insurgent fighters during a combat operation in Paktiya Province, Afghanistan, April 17, 2013. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Codie M. Mendenhall)

Why do I get the feeling that footage is gonna end up on YouTube next week?

Doubt it. Rangers have been using helmet/rifle cams since at least 2006, and I'm sure before that as well, and outside of the official recruiting videos I don't know of a single video on youtube of Ranger helmet cam footage. The 75th is one of the most OPSEC paranoid units in the military.

Doubt it. Rangers have been using helmet/rifle cams since at least 2006, and I'm sure before that as well, and outside of the official recruiting videos I don't know of a single video on youtube of Ranger helmet cam footage. The 75th is one of the most OPSEC paranoid units in the military.

That helps explain why during almost all of the GWOT I've hardly seen anything military history/current events wise from anyone in the Regiment save for maybe one or two books such as Team Reaper or Sua Sponte by Dick Couch. Can understand and appreciate the want/need for opsec but still it can make it a bit frustrating as a aspiring historian lol.

That helps explain why during almost all of the GWOT I've hardly seen anything military history/current events wise from anyone in the Regiment save for maybe one or two books such as Team Reaper or Sua Sponte by Dick Couch. Can understand and appreciate the want/need for opsec but still it can make it a bit frustrating as a aspiring historian lol.
What??? Op Rhino? Takur Ghar?

How much do you really hear about any SOF unit? SF is only big in the news since the whole ALP program and VSO. Before that, the only notable stuff in the news about us was The Battle of Kandahar and our participation in Op Anaconda.

What??? Op Rhino? Takur Ghar?

How much do you really hear about any SOF unit? SF is only big in the news since the whole ALP program and VSO. Before that, the only notable stuff in the news about us was The Battle of Kandahar and our participation in Op Anaconda.

Lol, fair point, I was only mentioning the two that came to mind, I realize that not every single op of every single unit is gonna get put into print, just making observation when comparing number of books that have been put out lately.

Back