The Afghanistan and Pakistan Thread

16 people is a lot. DoD is clearly sending a message with this.

"trial should be in Afghanistan, in our presence, in the presence of the victims' families, so they would be satisfied." lol... yeah, no.

Someone had to go down for this, not just for political reasons but because it was a screwup militarily as well.

Not only did the blow the shit out of a hospital, they blew the shit out of the wrong building. I would have expected a handful of people, a half-dozen or so tops, to go down for this. With that many people absorbing the blame for this, there must have been a lot of stuff behind the scenes that was more screwed up than most of us know.

I wouldn't feel comfortable having an opinion on a strike I wasn't involved with, especially knowing the amount of scrutiny that goes into every dynamic and deliberate strike we do there now.

Ultimately how many people are responsible legally for a bad military decision? The answer should be one.

I don't care for the people that died and would automatically pick one of our people over any given number you could throw at me of theirs.

Mistakes happen, to call for heads in this type of scenario shows how forgetful these Afghani's are. They would be dead, or prisoners, if we were not there to help them. They forget so fast!

When a bad strike happens, One person should be held accountable, not 16. This is the new age of punishment to make a point, not to fit the crime!

CAS in AFG has always been an issue, because noone wanted to put their name on a MISTAKE!!!!! The one alibi to this was TIC's then its game on.

There shouldn't be one scapegoat for a situation like this. There were likely multiple screwups by multiple people, thus justifying multiple punishments.

I never thought I could say this about $86 million, but given the waste in Afghanistan that's like complaining about an unpaid parking ticket. That war is NOTHING but one bloody (in the literal, not English sense) case of fraud, waste, and abuse. This board has known and screamed about it for years now so this is just one more bullet statement on a lengthy Powerpoint so to speak.

Yup. I'd rather see $86,000,000 wasted routinely, than have us pay it to Pakistan or the Taliban/Haqqanis etc... Like we have been, routinely.

There shouldn't be one scapegoat for a situation like this. There were likely multiple screwups by multiple people, thus justifying multiple punishments.

It's not about identifying a scapegoat. Responsibility is at the lowest level officer given the power to say yes to the strike. If there was no failure in the process, then there would be no reason to look for a scapegoat. It would be justified and an unfortunate collateral incident. JAG is involved in every action over there.

It's not about identifying a scapegoat. Responsibility is at the lowest level officer given the power to say yes to the strike. If there was no failure in the process, then there would be no reason to look for a scapegoat. It would be justified and an unfortunate collateral incident. JAG is involved in every action over there.

What you've just described is pretty much the definition of scapegoating. There were multiple failures here, at multiple levels; the person authorizing the strike may have made a legit call based on the (erroneous) information available at the time. This is why we do investigations in the first place, instead of just assigning blame to the first available officer.

I never thought I could say this about $86 million, but given the waste in Afghanistan that's like complaining about an unpaid parking ticket. That war is NOTHING but one bloody (in the literal, not English sense) case of fraud, waste, and abuse. This board has known and screamed about it for years now so this is just one more bullet statement on a lengthy Powerpoint so to speak.
newboat2.jpg

Potentially another half a billion in aid for PK....but this time with a catch.

House ties Pakistani aid to freedom for hero doctor who helped get Bin Laden | Fox News

The House of Representatives passed a defense budget that would make $450 million in aid to Pakistan contingent on the nation doing more to stop a militant terror network and calls for the freeing of an imprisoned doctor who helped the CIA find Usama bin Laden.

And then in a "God damn you, Fox" moment with a shout out to my brother @Marauder06

The Haqqani Network, which is regarded as a criminal gang that dabbles in terrorism, operates around the lawless border of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Fuck you, Fox News, you and whoever fed you that line of shyte. All of you. "Join us next week for 'The Sinaloa Cartel, a social club that dabbles in drug trafficking' only on Fox."

Potentially another half a billion in aid for PK....but this time with a catch.

House ties Pakistani aid to freedom for hero doctor who helped get Bin Laden | Fox News

And then in a "God damn you, Fox" moment with a shout out to my brother @Marauder06

Fuck you, Fox News, you and whoever fed you that line of shyte. All of you. "Join us next week for 'The Sinaloa Cartel, a social club that dabbles in drug trafficking' only on Fox."

lol, I just read that this morning and came to SS this morning specifically to ask you what you thought about it. "Hey @Freefalling, good thing the Haqqanis are "dabbling," we'd be in some shit if they got serious!"

The Haqqanis "dabble in terrorism" like Delta Force "dabbles in fighting crime." They are both tier-one, state-supported, highly capable groups. Anyone who paid any attention at all over the last 10+ years, or did the slightest bit of research, would know that. Hell even the State Department knows the HQN is a legit terrorist group.

"Fox News: Now "Dabbling" in Journalism." Hm, I might have found my next article headline...

I watched Macho Man videos this morning from the 80's.....still more credible than that article from Fox. "Dabbles in terrorism".... Unreal.

I watched Macho Man videos this morning from the 80's.....still more credible than that article from Fox. "Dabbles in terrorism".... Unreal.
When I was an uninformed private in the 82nd, I loved Fox.

Now that I know a thing or two about the world, I realize that all they do is parrot right wing speculation and spin stories to the opposite side of the other guys.

It was painfully obvious how the majority of the network took the Republican Party line and spoke out against 'Trump- instead of just reporting.

Fair and balanced... my ass.

More like, "Equally uniformed, yet Republican friendly."

@Etype - 100% in alignment with you regarding FOX. Truthfully my recent outlook on politics/religion/policy/etc has been shaped more from conversations on this board than anything else.

I have not watched either network in years, is CNN as overtly 'left' and FOX is 'right'? That is what 'everyone' says - just curious what the consensus here is.
Yes.

Back