The Army Wants To Recruit Cyber Experts By Hiring Civilians At Rank Of Colonel

As @Teufel said, the best model is just to give these people a GS position with all the benny's. Otherwise you're bringing them in at O4/5/6 and giving them instant authority but little understanding of the culture. I admit my attitude has changed a little bit on this since I've been out and thought about it a little more. Direct commission works for a lot of fields, but even direct commission in the medical and nursing fields have to go through a lot of the standard Navy leadership courses, they're just not given the rank and authority without a strong support network. But it's been that way for how many hundred years now?

Can it work? Sure but with a metric shit-ton of growing pains. I don't know if you can take the medical model or the JAG model or new the others and just apply it to the field.

I suppose another idea is to bring them in as a warrant with big buck contracts and incentives and keep them out of the leadership structure and let them do the voodoo they do so well.

Yep. I don't think we should be giving field grade rank to anyone, no matter how "qualified" they are. Start them off as senior company grades and let them work their way up like the rest of us.

The problem with the warrant officer option, which I support, is that most people have no idea what a warrant officer is. And despite the sheer awesomeness that we all recognize is inherent in the senior Warrant ranks, it's not considered as prestigious as being a full-bird colonel.

People want the trimmings and prestige of being a senior field grade, without the competence and commitment required to earn it.

I'm a cybersecurity guy and I hate cybersecurity. Specifically, what the DoD does to an end user and especially to a SysAdmin. Despite being a former Signal Officer, I hate the power we've given to Signal/ Comm guys throughout the DoD. We've created a monster.

Last week's PKI flaw is a big deal, especially in the DoD. Some O-5 from CYBERCOM called me directly (how he obtained my number is anyone's guess, but...creepy) telling me I had to patch our systems. He sent an email to my leadership telling them the same thing. Patch the systems immediately...

...except the update wasn't even listed in SCCM (the server/ software that handles Windows updates at an enterprise level). When I pointed this out we were told to go "download it from Microsoft."

Yeah, no. That's not how any of this works. I had to stonewall an O-5 who sounded like he was snorting coke over a Microsoft update. This is what happens when you can't go infantry and aren't smart enough for medical or law school.

Now back to NIST 800-37...

From what I've seen, most leadership will treat a CVE/RCE as classified information or be so behind the power curve when a damaging RCE happens in the wild to react.

If the DoD can't even stay up to date with what's happening in the wild, then we need to develop a proper plan for that first.

OSINT needs a better integration into our cyber programs.

I'm a cybersecurity guy and I hate cybersecurity. Specifically, what the DoD does to an end user and especially to a SysAdmin. Despite being a former Signal Officer, I hate the power we've given to Signal/ Comm guys throughout the DoD. We've created a monster.

Last week's PKI flaw is a big deal, especially in the DoD. Some O-5 from CYBERCOM called me directly (how he obtained my number is anyone's guess, but...creepy) telling me I had to patch our systems. He sent an email to my leadership telling them the same thing. Patch the systems immediately...

...except the update wasn't even listed in SCCM (the server/ software that handles Windows updates at an enterprise level). When I pointed this out we were told to go "download it from Microsoft."

Yeah, no. That's not how any of this works. I had to stonewall an O-5 who sounded like he was snorting coke over a Microsoft update. This is what happens when you can't go infantry and aren't smart enough for medical or law school.

Every once in a while, I see a job posting and think about updating my certs and getting back in the game. Then I read one of your post's and I remember that I enjoy what little sanity I have left.

This is all I have to say about ARCYBER.

https://www.7sigcmd.army.mil/

The owner of www.7sigcmd.army.mil has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Back