The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

Not surprised at all. He's just the first to get caught, and he won't be the last. Greg Glassman said men will die for points, but they'll also cheat like a motherfucker for points.

Seems most of us stopped paying attention.

Nice to see Tia Clair Toomey win the thing. Also noticed an Australian finish 2nd. Matt Fraser won the men's and one thing I still don't understand is the team event.

Considering we didn't talk about this weekend I'm guessing everyone else was also unaware of the competition leaving Carson and moving to Wisconsin and thus did not watch. I noticed it was going down from Instagram posts, but with the Super Rugby final I couldn't be arsed.

I knew about it, but didn't think to look for a thread on it. It brought a f*** load of people into town. A fair amount are still here. I didn't realize how many people it would draw as spectators.

I had the pleasure of meeting a number of the top competitors as they had dinner one night at a restaurant in which I'm a silent partner. Very nice people. Very ripped.

Seems most of us stopped paying attention.

Nice to see Tia Clair Toomey win the thing. Also noticed an Australian finish 2nd. Matt Fraser won the men's and one thing I still don't understand is the team event.

Considering we didn't talk about this weekend I'm guessing everyone else was also unaware of the competition leaving Carson and moving to Wisconsin and thus did not watch. I noticed it was going down from Instagram posts, but with the Super Rugby final I couldn't be arsed.
I saw it was going on, but without my main 3 friends competing this year, I didn't follow closely. Just enough to watch Fraser repeat by the biggest margin ever in Games history. Dude is a straight beast. Tia is too.

I had the pleasure of meeting a number of the top competitors as they had dinner one night at a restaurant in which I'm a silent partner. Very nice people. Very ripped.
Pretty cool to hear about it from ground level- I have never really had a problem with CF folks as a whole. Usually pretty well behaved and good crowd.

CrossFit is a brand that makes a lot of money. To draw attention and make money they have a lot of quirks. A gym is a box, you can buy special CrossFit shoes, and I always seem to run into some really weird electro/dubstep music. That being said there is sound information on the CrossFit website about eating healthy and they provide workout routines that do work when done correctly.

The culture spawned by CrossFit however and its existence as a brand first and foremost is what turns me away from it and believe it does far more harm then good. I have friends at my BJJ gym who do CrossFit and enjoy it and are stronger for it, I've tried it out and it wasn't terrible because I had a great coach who started me out from square 1 with some of the more involved techniques. But overall CrossFit isn't for me and I don't think I could recommend it to anyone.

What I haven't looked much into is the competition aspect or how someone well versed in fitness may apply themselves to CrossFit. So who knows?

Is this guy “someone” in the CrossFit world?

CrossFit fires executive for saying celebrating LGBT pride is a 'sin' | Daily Mail Online

Russell Berger, who worked as CrossFit's chief knowledge officer, was terminated by the company on Wednesday over a stream of now-deleted tweets.

Berger, of Huntsville, Alabama, posted the comments as he tried to defend the owner of an Indianapolis CrossFit gym who canceled a special workout in honor of Pride Month.

'As someone who personally believes celebrating 'pride' is a sin, I'd like to personally encourage #CrossFitInfiltrate for standing by their convictions and refusing to host an @indypride workout. The intolerance of the LGBTQ ideology toward any alternative views is mind-blowing,' Berger tweeted.

Is this guy “someone” in the CrossFit world?

CrossFit fires executive for saying celebrating LGBT pride is a 'sin' | Daily Mail Online

Russell Berger, who worked as CrossFit's chief knowledge officer, was terminated by the company on Wednesday over a stream of now-deleted tweets.

Berger, of Huntsville, Alabama, posted the comments as he tried to defend the owner of an Indianapolis CrossFit gym who canceled a special workout in honor of Pride Month.

'As someone who personally believes celebrating 'pride' is a sin, I'd like to personally encourage #CrossFitInfiltrate for standing by their convictions and refusing to host an @indypride workout. The intolerance of the LGBTQ ideology toward any alternative views is mind-blowing,' Berger tweeted.
Berger has been involved in Crossfit since almost the beginning. He was a Ranger (75th, not just the school), IIRC. He's written a bunch of stuff for the CF Journal. He's also the dude CF used to "infiltrate" a Gym Jones seminar, and then write a smear piece on Mark Twight afterwards.

...and Crossfit kicks out people who might not be pretty enough??

Crossfit Gym Under Fire For Kicking Out Members Who 'Didn't Fit Vision'

I am not sure what 'vision' is supposed to mean....

Probably that they didn't take it seriously enough. We released members a few times at the gyms I worked at, either for lying about pre-existing medical conditions, or for constantly being argumentative with coaches. What I would guess is that this particular gym is trying to make a push into being known as one of the "elite" boxes, and they only want people who are drunk on the kool-aid.

To add, this is not original to CrossFit. I know of more than one non-CrossFit gym that essentially requires you to try out for a membership.

Berger has been involved in Crossfit since almost the beginning. He was a Ranger (75th, not just the school), IIRC. He's written a bunch of stuff for the CF Journal. He's also the dude CF used to "infiltrate" a Gym Jones seminar, and then write a smear piece on Mark Twight afterwards.

Berger's a good dude. You should see the immediate hate that was brought upon him via social media after he made this comment. Totally understand that private organizations can fire employees for speaking publicly in an official capacity for things like this; what irked me were the personal attacks on him, his religion, his family, etc. The dude didn't say all gays should be placed in internment camps; he presented an opinion that is fairly common in this country. This would have been non-news just 5 years ago.

And yet the irony is still lost on some people who are commenting on his Instagram posts "rot in hell you bigoted *expletive*, rainbow emoji rainbow emoji rainbow emoji #lovewins." If love wins, maybe just respect the guy's right to an opinion you disagree with and move on? People are saying that he "dehumanized homosexuals." I certainly didn't get that from his tweet, but in an age of "everyone who disagrees with me is literally Hitler," I'm not sure what I expect.

There were a few openly gay Crossfitters defending him on his page, essentially saying, "yo, you're going to fire the guy? For that? Really?" But they were in the minority; the straight white people straightened out the actual gay people by telling them that, no, they actually WERE in fact offended. The whole "I'm offended on behalf of the people who I feel should be offended even if those people aren't actually offended."

Then you've got internet tough guy gin-drinking Greg Glassman's response, telling Berger to drink a tall glass of STFU and recommending that he "go into hiding," because apparently teaching people to weigh almonds and jump rope makes one an undisputed moral authority. Like what is this, the gay-stapo?

Update: I totally forgot it's 2018 and words are violence. From a corporate standpoint, I can understand why it would be in your best interest to tell Berger to chill out and not alienate a sizable percentage of your gay Crossfitters (contrary to popular belief, not 100% of Crossfitters are gay, though). But to fire him and release the Crossfit hoard of hipster libertarians upon him, wishing death upon him and his children? Come on, man. Grow up.

I had no idea people still cared so much about Crossfit! Party like it’s 2012!

I’ve always thought ‘The Russels’ (Berger and... the other one responsible for the Pukie nonsense... Russ Greene) were tools of the highest regard.

No reason for outrage over all this IMO. If you wanna wade into the ‘post even remotely controversial things on open source social media’ game, you do so at your own peril. Wanna make your life extra spicy? Make your tweet about race, religion or LGBTQ.

@DozerB , that post was something else.

No reason for outrage over all this IMO. If you wanna wade into the ‘post even remotely controversial things on open source social media’ game, you do so at your own peril. Wanna make your life extra spicy? Make your tweet about race, religion or LGBTQ.

Truth. You plays the game, you pays the price.*

I have never 'done' CF, but a lot of workouts have leaked to other gyms and workout groups, and there is a lot of cross pollination with the OCR crowd, so through those things I have been exposed. To me it's like any other fitness 'scheme', if it works, great; if not, move on to something that does.

*Yesterday my boss emailed a department-wide thing about "bullying and incivility," to which my snarky reply raised some eyebrows. Paying the price now.

I’ve always thought ‘The Russels’ (Berger and... the other one responsible for the Pukie nonsense... Russ Greene) were tools of the highest regard.

I like a lot of the CrossFit ideology in regards to functional exercise, and still use it, but I never bought into the drama or the lifestyle. It always seemed those folks were quite pretentious and uptight. Plus, I don't like the fashion. :-)

You forgot the “+” at the end of LGBTQ. Speaking as a non-binary, asexual construction grade cinderblock, I truly hope you have a good lawyer.

I wish he would’ve gone all the way and said something truly outrageous such as, “using a $180 Rogue jump rope doesn’t make you an athlete."

He would probably trigger an earthquake warning in Southern California and be hung in effigy at CFHQ , but at least it might offend people of ALL sexual orientations.

They went with CBS this year instead of ESPN. Knowing some of the rights deals with Rugby, I wonder if xFit paid for the air time.

Back