The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

Yeah it was Tia Toomey, I'd have to look at her division's depth in the Olympics. But she did well at the Olympic games.

Crossfit Games Finish: 2nd

Olympics Finish: 5th

I'd say that's pretty good when it comes to cross training, hell a 5th place in anything at the Olympics is elite in that sport.

Google is killing me this weekend, ugh. Looking at the pictures I'll say CrossFit training entered the Olympic/Powerlifting training with her use of equipment. I didn't watch the women but I saw the men's clean and jerk and the highest weights were put up with guys wearing leather belts. She appears to be wearing a Humanix velcro belt. Some of these guys were also going no belt but most of them couldn't get to the jerk in the medal round and dropped the weight.

When I started getting a lot heavier I noticed the stability I achieved with that belt wasn't doing it. There are other velcro belts out there but I chose to go for a custom power lifting belt instead. Olympic lifting isn't a raw sport, so used every tool they allow you to use.

But, she still made it to the Olympics and finished 2nd at the Crossfit games so hats off to her.

Last edited:
There were a couple Crossfitters at the World Championships in Texas last year. One was Thorsiddottir (sp?) from Island. The women's weightlifting isn't as deep as men's and the qualifying standards are relatively lower than men's. Still impressive to make it, but it shouldn't be contributed to Crossfit training but rather to the amount of classic and Olympic lifts she does in her training.

Rostami, the world record holder that just won the 85 kg a couple days ago, always wears a velcro belt for the clean and jerk, he did 217kg to win gold but has done 220kg (484 lbs) in competition. I personally never wear a belt for Olympic lift and have done 505lbs back squat without one as well. It definitely helps for BS, but I find it rather annoying for a clean as it tugs and hits the hip flexors in a deep receiving position.

I was watching the 94 kg class and it was either leather belt or no belt during the medal round. I'm just nitpicking, it's hard to do multiple sports at an elite level. As I said, hat is off to her.

I'd say that's pretty good when it comes to cross training, hell a 5th place in anything at the Olympics is elite in that sport.
Uhhh, just being in the Olympics means you are elite.

Being 5th at the Olympics means you are 5th best in the world.

Uhhh, just being in the Olympics means you are elite.

Being 5th at the Olympics means you are 5th best in the world.
The Olympic B standard is attainable in some sports by mid level college athletes, like the women's 200m runners from Brunei, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Armenia, and Turkmenistan who ran above 25 seconds. For reference, last year 33 Division III women ran under 25 seconds during the Outdoor track season, half of which didn't make it to the national DIII championships.

US athletes all qualify with the A standard as we send more than 1 athlete to compete which is one of the reason we are so competitive in the majority of the sports and events. Placing in the top quarter in the Olympics is very impressive, but qualifying or even competing is a few cases isn't.

As bad as that video is, it's amazing that so many of them were able to get up under their own power.

That was painful to watch! :-o

Back