The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

Etype

Special Forces
Verified SOF
My goal is to make this thread a sticky. As a disclaimer, I do CrossFit. I do a Westside Conjugate/CrossFit that suits my needs, and I have a helluva lot of fun with it. My problem is, the whole CrossFit brand, people who subscribe to it, and all their little quirks- are gay.

On the CrossFit Discussion Board today I saw people talking about "functional" exercises-
-Rowing was one of them, I guess it is if I ever have to paddle my dhingy with fixed oars to shore from my pirate ship. A zodiac doesn't have oars, it has paddles- so rowing is not functional to me, or most other people for that matter.
-Thrusters, burpees, and kettlebell swings were agreed upon to fit the bill of "functional".
-Sprinting was suggested, but was also discounted as being, "not total body." Well, I thought we had a winner, apparently not.

See, you stand to learn a lot over that one weekend it takes to become a "coach". Mix that $1,000 you spent on your weekend cert with a pair of $200 oly shoes, $60 board shorts, and a $45 CrossFit shirt (all purchased from www.roguefitness.com) and you've just shaved 0 seconds off of your coolest looking Fran as a certified level 1- and for under $1,500. Get some.

“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”

Ignore the kool aid babble brother!

Another cool thing about the CF Discussion board, most dudes post their stats so you can see their absolute lack of credibility. You can usually find someone on there with something like "M/5'7"/220#/225# Squat/135# Press/255# deadlift", giving his advice on both weight loss and strength training in the same post- EPIC!!!

Troll R3 and leave might do me in- too much time with the kids while the wife is at work, too much roaming these intranets.

10209003.jpg

ok ok . I agree the cult of it is getting gay or has been.. idk which.

But the community is not. I met a lot of great people at my gym, including a former 1/75 squad leader who is one of my best buds now. Not to mention countless other friends.

That video was classic, it summed up what I was saying perfectly. "I'm going to do a WOD of snatches in the box."- only crossfit.

There are some serious nerds with the Crossfit Brand, but RKC, and others have them as well. Every system in fact, Mikes Boyle's acolytes,etc.

Crossfit: The self-righteous, cultishly-marketed result of the modern 'fitness' world's discovery of what gymnasts, martial artists, and athletes of many stripes have been practicing for centuries.

Crossfit gym members (people who've been at it for awhile) have exposure to Olympic Lifting, Kettlebells, Power Lifting, Basic or beginner Gymnastics and Track=Sprint work. People know who Louie Simmons, Mike Burgener, Mark Rippitoe, Jim Wendler, etc are. Things that we're fringish in the world of fitness for the mass's is now common knowledge.

For the folks that knew these thing ten years ago, the trainers that have been doing this stuff great on you. But a lot of the hatred of Crossfit, that I've seen sounds like envy from competing systems. Yes its fadish and it has a lot of nerds to it, or huge claims about elite-ness, but done properly its a great system.

Finally!... a judicious thread about Cross Fit. :D
I am late in the thread I know. It is because you guys export trends to us and it takes a while to before it gets foothold.
(The Zumba you could have put an export ban on!)

The Subjective
I you want to know, CF is getting big fashion here in Sweden. Every ordinary gym at the corner has an area for Cross Fit.
Without exceptions, all my SF comrades trains CF. And they have copied your style with the CF oakley glasses, the T-shirt
with the "sweat leaves.. bla bla" , putting up their numbers. Going to US to be a level this or that. Of what? Ordinary :wall: training.
It is all so ridiculous. Summary,
I totally agree with the initiator of this thread.

The unknown facts
Cross Fit excersices your existing muscles.
Functional? Not for the masses that now are training Cross Fit. What is functional with a kettle bell for an office guy?
Nevertheless "Thor" Petey has a point.

So please let me know before exporting the next "new" big thing in training.

I might work for that embargo.

I did CrossFit for about a year and lost about 20 lbs of muscle (and some fat) got really good at recovering between exercises, lowered my resting heart rate from 65 to 55, and can hand walk like never before. I met some good people, but my issue is the nearly $200 per month price tag in my area, plus in order to get good at being a crossfitter, the body is going to drop or gain weight (depending on your starting condition) in order to simply become more efficient at doing work. For me, that meant dumping some mass, and I've been ok with that until about the middle of this year. But I'm now taking time off to bulk back up.

The lingo and microculture is a bit annoying, but I'm such an antisocial person with a perpetually angry expression I seldom get caught up in conversations other than MMA or ju jitsu topics. Otherwise I'm out of there.

I did CrossFit for about a year and lost about 20 lbs of muscle (and some fat) got really good at recovering between exercises, lowered my resting heart rate from 65 to 55, and can hand walk like never before. I met some good people, but my issue is the nearly $200 per month price tag in my area, plus in order to get good at being a crossfitter, the body is going to drop or gain weight (depending on your starting condition) in order to simply become more efficient at doing work. For me, that meant dumping some mass, and I've been ok with that until about the middle of this year. But I'm now taking time off to bulk back up.

The lingo and microculture is a bit annoying, but I'm such an antisocial person with a perpetually angry expression I seldom get caught up in conversations other than MMA or ju jitsu topics. Otherwise I'm out of there.

"I'm such an antisocial person with a perpetually angry expression"
You make that sound like something bad...

But of course, your comment is correct as also that any training with such a high intensity as CF would have similar effect on a bubbly shape or existing muscles.
I took the subject to its extension and the fact that "Cross Fit excersices your existing muscle" has a point of departure that you already are more than a fit person.

It is the package that is ridiculous to me and that is because i generally do not like what most people like. -What good am I, if I am like all the rest?
I see CF and trends as a placebo thing for the same training that as been done for decades. The more expensive placebo " but my issue is the nearly $200 per month
price tag in my area", the better placebo...

This thread was supposed to be fun and ironic. And now I am involved in semantics about training. I do not answer more to this.

Even so I respect your effort Leatherneck!!

Back