The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

It's pretty metro-sexual group, but the work out and effects are excellent. The marketing and business plan is awesome... There are some really whacked out personalities that have the polar magnetic effect for me. I toss and turn whether to get involved in the thing. I still gotta admit the results are excellent. The on line workouts rock! I think this also some marketing, fad and group identity associated with it that drives some folks away. As well drive many more folks to it. Modern American people are looking for a sterile controlled predictable struggle / thing with a group / tribal identity. The product is genesis. I'm a fat fuck so my motivation is slipping away and my "give a shit" meter is on empty. It's kind of like tattoos for me. All these bitches and weak kneed jerk offs are getting covered with them. Contractor fat loser tough guy with insecurity problems with something to prove shit. Same crowd of morons... I think lifting weights in my back yard in the snow, ruck marching once a week and bike riding is my thing. Along with good cigars, good scotch, good dark beer and fucked up anti-social perspective.

I only got into CF to break the monotony of being in an overcrowded gym for past an hour. Plus nothing beats a quick smoke check. The pricing for these CF gyms are nothing short of ridiculous and will never pay up, especially when I can find all of it online.

I don't consider the CF culture any more odd than the bros who go to the gym and stare at themselves in the mirror for hours on end and do some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen in a gym.

Different strokes for different folks. If it gets people off the couch and motivated, more power to them.

My only problem is the price you pay for access. This one gym in my area charges $205/month for unlimited access or $135/month for 2 visits a week, but they're only ever really open during the class/group WODs, and on their time. I just want an open gym + all access kind of deal, and the autonomy to do my own thing when I want to. Realistically I don't expect anyone else to be training for my goals, nor would I have them alter their curriculum to.

I'd rather go pay 1/6th the price at another gym to use it during any other of the 10 hours of the day, even if it is half the equipment.

But that is just my area. Crossfit isn't that big around here yet or maybe there are competing gyms, so they don't really have the luxury or enough members to have an open gym/staff around 12-14 hours a day.

There are few CrossFit gyms that are actually worth the money they charge. The "industry standard" has been set now though, so anyone with a weekend certificate can charge someone $150-$300 a month for "world-class training". The certs aren't "pay to play" anymore, but the test, and I use that term loosely, doesn't exactly do much to cull the herd.

There are few CrossFit gyms that are actually worth the money they charge. The "industry standard" has been set now though, so anyone with a weekend certificate can charge someone $150-$300 a month for "world-class training". The certs aren't "pay to play" anymore, but the test, and I use that term loosely, doesn't exactly do much to cull the herd.

Lets start our own fitness craze with a VA business loan. We will charge $1000 a certification, while offering multiple levels of certifications. The memberships prices will be atrocious, but the name will sell to those who are unfamiliar with the concept. The staff will be paid hourly, but to yield high gains, we will minimize the amount of hours we are open. This will cut down on maintenance cost, and equipment repair.

We'll send Etype to the Crossfit games 2013 to make a name for us, then set up shop in a well populated area, and branch out from there.

Winning the hearts and minds. Hopefully wallets too.

Win-win.

Edit: I googled how some of their pay works, and it seems every gym is different. A lot offer reduced/free memberships in lieu of pay.

Lets start our own fitness craze with a VA business loan. We will charge $1000 a certification, while offering multiple levels of certifications. The memberships prices will be atrocious, but the name will sell to those who are unfamiliar with the concept. The staff will be paid hourly, but to yield high gains, we will minimize the amount of hours we are open. This will cut down on maintenance cost, and equipment repair.

We'll send Etype to the Crossfit games 2013 to make a name for us, then set up shop in a well populated area, and branch out from there.

Winning the hearts and minds. Hopefully wallets too.

Win-win.

Edit: I googled how some of their pay works, and it seems every gym is different. A lot offer reduced/free memberships in lieu of pay.

Seems legit, but I'm not taking free membership as a form of payment.

Seems legit, but I'm not taking free membership as a form of payment.

I have never heard of a gym only compensating trainers with free memberships. I have worked at 4 CF gyms and every single has paid me per class as well as giving me a free membership.

I did Crossfit on my own for about 6 months before I joined a box. I did the box thing for a year. While I got good at CF type stuff, it did nothing to really improve my PFT times... I still had to work on my running, push-ups, pull-ups, etc before PFT/PRT time came around. Only improvement I saw was with my performance on my civilian job (firefighter), and PT with my reserve unit (we do a lot of Crossfit style workouts for PT).

Anyway, the price tag got to be too much $95/month for unlimited access,plus the $55.00/month for the Y just to have pool access. After a year I realized the mon I spent in dues could have set me up with a nice garage gym. I also got sick of Crossfitters really quickly. I grew up in a religious cult (I'm free of now), and being in a box seemed eerily familiar. So I let that s*** go.

I still do WODs regularly, but otherwise I focus on where I lack physically to meet my fitness goals.

Plus I got tired of going around with this same discussion,
Me- "kipping pull-ups aren't pull-ups"
CF'er- "says who?"
Me- "My PFT coordinator"

it did nothing to really improve my PFT times...

Not calling you a liar or anything, I just find that hard to believe.

Me- "kipping pull-ups aren't pull-ups"

A kipping pull-up is a pull up just like a wide arm pull-up, palms in, palms out, a jumping pull up, dead hang, etc.

That's like saying your not swimming unless you are doing the back stroke.

Just because only one form of a pull-up is used for a PT test, doesn't mean that other forms are still not pull-ups. All it means is you have to be good at that kind of pull-up for your PT test.

While I got good at CF type stuff

So you got good at everything? Since Crossfit is based on non-specificity, I don't see how your PFT scores didn't improve, since Crossfit "stuff" encompasses running, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups etc.

but otherwise I focus on where I lack physically to meet my fitness goals.

Focusing on what you are not good at is one of the main tenants of Crossfit...

So you got good at everything? Since Crossfit is based on non-specificity, I don't see how your PFT scores didn't improve, since Crossfit "stuff" encompasses running, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups etc.

Focusing on what you are not good at is one of the main tenants of Crossfit...

To be fair, I have found it difficult to improve my PFT score without focusing entirely too much on running. Most fit guys max out the pull ups and situps but in my experience a 18 minute three mile can be a challenge for a healthy, 200 lb, beer fueled freedom fighter. I usually range from 19 to 20 minutes and that's good enough for me. The amount of running it would take to drop that down generally leans me out too much and I start losing strength. I can see how a traditional crossfit program wouldn't improve that run time.

Well, I dislike the community most of all. The only thing that I dislike more are the business practices of it's owner, and I didn't think I could dislike anything more than that entire "community" of d-bags. The high sock wearing, sweat band having, frat-boy type that permeate that place make me want to rage.

To be fair, I have found it difficult to improve my PFT score without focusing entirely too much on running. Most fit guys max out the pull ups and situps but in my experience a 18 minute three mile can be a challenge for a healthy, 200 lb, beer fueled freedom fighter. I usually range from 19 to 20 minutes and that's good enough for me. The amount of running it would take to drop that down generally leans me out too much and I start losing strength. I can see how a traditional crossfit program wouldn't improve that run time.

I can believe that all day long. To get a 3 mile time under 18 mins requires a great amount of training specifically focused on running. Outside of some very rare specimens of the human physique, most guys are going to sacrifice in other areas to get under 18 mins.

Back