The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

2:20....this is why guys and girls don't team up to pull cars. If you're into that sort of thing.

I'd like to see some serious points here. I'd also like to hear some anti CF points.

Do you like CF? Why or why not?
Does it work?
What are the pros?
What are the cons?

I think that's what that one dude was saying about crossfit not helping his PFT. Maxing the Army PFT can be challenging but not overly difficult. At least from what I remember from airborne school. I can suck it up for two miles. Three miles at at six minute mile pace...that gets harder. Also, our max doesn't change with age. Which sucks as I get older. The points per event never change so a 300 point maximum PFT is always going to be 20 pullups, 100 situps (crunches) in a minute and an 18:00 three mile regardless of your age. The amount of points to make a 1st Class PFT will decrease as you age but honestly if you are only scoring a 225 1st Class PFT you need to re-evaluate your training plan and probably your profession. I've done PFTs still smelling like the marathon beer fest I endured the night prior and still scored in the 250s. That's some real crossfit! See how I did that? I crossed tequila, beer and circuit training (the PFT) to create the ultimate freedom fighter training plan.

Ours changes with age (thank fuck) ! lol.. We have 4 grades 1-4. Grade 1 being the best and 4 being a basic pass. grade 5 is a fail. The grades then change with age. 17-29yrs/ 29-35/35-40/ 40+ . We have a 3.2k run or 2 miles and the 17-29 age have up to 15:30(Grade 4) to do it. Grade 1 is anything under 12:30. It goes up by a minute at every age increment. And doing 3 miles in 18 mins is pretty excellent running.. Best I've done is 20 minutes but I was focused on doing that by running a 5.4k circuit nearly every day for 8 weeks.. I did a basic weight circuit too.

I'd like to see someon serious points here. I'd also like to hear some anti CF points.

Does it work?
What are the pros?
What are the cons?

CF is a very good GPP program. At the higher levels of athletic/strength demand and output it falls short though. IMO, there is a grossly inadequate amount of strength work, even for a GPP program. For a lot of the populace, it's a really good thing. CF is about more than just the workouts, it encourages good eating habits, addressing mobility issues, adequate sleep, effective stress management, and some other ancillary things that a lot of people need. Where it falls short is in the way the community's attitude has shifted. There is a lot of ego and douchebaggery in a lot of CF gyms these days. The CF brand has inspired a near cult-like reverence for anything CF, and people will not hesitate to jump all over those who do not do CF, to include professional athletes. This whole "everyone is an athlete" and "we're fucking elite" attitude has gotten WAY out of hand within the community. It's a workout program, that's it. Being able to jump onto a box or do a pull-up for the first time in your life does not make you "elite". Not only that, but CF did not invent ANYTHING they use, despite what so many of its followers seem to think. People have been doing "CrossFit" for a much longer time than there has been a website and tall-sock wearing MILFs who screech about deadlifting 150#. On the business side, the founder and many of the HQ staff seem to have "jumped the shark" when it comes to handling any sort of challenge to their delusions of fitnesss omniscience. They have gotten rid of numerous extremely qualified people simply for not falling in line with what HQ wanted to put out, regardless of the incorrectness of it. Their Director of Training, Dave Castro, is fairly notorious for throwing hissy fits when he doesn't get his way and he pressures box owners to move in the direction he wants them too despite CF's stated claim of creating affiliates, not franchises.

I wish I could agree with the above more than once.
There's no such thing as a be-all end-all workout regimen. It's just not possible.

I'd like to see someon serious points here. I'd also like to hear some anti CF points.

Does it work?
What are the pros?
What are the cons?
Do I like CrossFit?
- For housewives, non-athletic people, those that need a community for fitness goals to be achieved. For special operators, military types with demanding jobs, or for athletic performance? No, I don't like it.
Does it work?
- Well, it would depend on what your definition of "work" is. The biggest issue I have with xfit is it's wild-ass unsupported claims supposedly rooted in "science". Baseless claims of this, that and the other (700lb deadlift in 2 years? Workout data from all the Indy Colts?) supported by biased data points collected by amateur gym owners. Is it a good GPP? If programmed correctly, yes. It also depends on your goals. Is your goal to be the best distance runner you can be? Well, then, crossfit isnt for you. Do you want to be absolutely as strong as you can be in the big 4 lifts? Well, then I suggest you don't go all out with metcons 6 effing days a week. Would you like to avoid injury, and follow a periodized non-random linear progression, with a focus on global wellness, mobility, and athletic performance? Again, not crossfit. IF (and only if) we are talking about taking a non-fit, sedentary and overweight/obese person and getting them to improve their fitness, drop bodyfat, improve lab values and hormone levels- sure. That's why I say it's great for the non-trained individual. Even then I would caution someone because of the unbelievably terrible overall level of coaches/trainers/gym owners in the community. I can find 50 shitty, know-nothing coaches for every good one- and they all come for the same price. $120-$170 a month. It's also the same reason no serious athlete does crossfit as their primary or core program. Crossfit is a brand name, and "High intensity interval training" has been around since the 50's. It's circuit training by douchebags in board shorts and shitty tribal tattoos. Crossfit makes women hot, and men look like women. And don't give me the "crossfit makes me better at everything! You might beat me at your specific event, but I win 80% of any other events" BS either. That dog simply won't hunt. The only thing that crossfit makes you exceptional at is crossfit, and you can throw that "functional fitness" horsecrap out the window as well. Where in life do you do a double under? Wallball? Overhead squat? Sumo deadlift high pull? Crossift makes you good at those specific movements. Well, that, and getting spanked by real, strong athletes that put some thought into their training. So, to end my rant, I'll end with a question- if we (high risk military, SOF, police, firepeople, etc.) are supposed to be "combat athletes" or "high risk athletes" or whatever- why would we NOT specialize? Why would we NOT mimic the professionals?

What are the pros?
Hot chicks, "edgy" lifestyle, getting to tell people about your "crossfitting", the fact that the cost alone selects out for middle class white suburbanites with disposable income (get as mad as you would like- prove me wrong with a demographic study from your local gym), getting 80% as strong as you could be immediately, and getting to tell people about crossfit. Yes, I put it in there twice.

What are the cons?
Randomized, inefficient training, injury rates incongruent with potential gain, nearly prohibitively expensive, supporting a company publicly discriminate in regards to homosexuals and anyone that supports them, serious lack of competent coaches, having to tell people you crossfit (probably the worst part, and usually as you make an excuse as to why you're a grown man that cant squat 150% of your BW).

Anyway, thats the short list.

I wish I could agree with the above more than once.
There's no such thing as a be-all end-all workout regimen. It's just not possible.

Bullshit! Chest and arms are all you need to work! At least that was what I was yelling this morning in the gym at work while I was murdering myself on one of those stepmills whilst wearing body armor.

The worst thing about crossfit is that it has become what it hates and everytime I heard someone say "wod" I want to punch them in the mouth.

I use 5/3/1, 4 days a week. I started doing this on the suggestion of a few folks here because I was having to scale weights too much while doing MA. I don't squat 1.5 x my BW, I don't DL 2.5x my BW, etc, etc. I've never been that strong, which is why I love 5/3/1. I throw in some kind of conditioning 3 days a week. I usually cycle between a good SOFWOD or Hero WOD workout.

I think a good comparison is people who like to work on making cars fast. For instance:
"I can bench 585 pounds" = "My car makes 792 WHP"
"I can complete Fran in 3:54" = "My car ran a 10.53 in the 1/4 mile"
"My (insert physical fitness test) scores are..." = "My car ran a 1:48:63 lap time around Laguna Seca"

It depends on what you want your claim to fame to be. Some folks want raw strength and they hang their hats on how much weight they can bench/squat/DL. Some want more "functionality" (sorry, amlove21 , couldn't come up with a better word quickly enough :D) with that strength. While I think strength is an important factor, I believe how it's used is more vital if we're talking about the high risk mil/LEO jobs.

+1 to all of what amlove21 said.

I like some of the workouts and will use them as benchmarks in fitness, or try to PR on them(like Grace times, or Cindy rounds), but I also like to periodize my training and follow some sort of plan. Big fan of 5/3/1, westside, louie simmons and the like. The randomness doesn't work for me. According to Glassman, "periodization as planned variations in intensity is witchcraft," and "exercise science a myth and says that no achievement in human performance has come even in part from exercise science." Per his words, I could pull up more brilliant quotes, but I have class soon. I'm not saying every CF gym runs like this, surely some have more responsible programming such ase SOFWODs, MA, SEALfit, ect. but how many gyms are out there locally are like that?

I just think Glassman is an idiot, and the program is great for the average couch potatoe looking to get into fitness. But the seasoned athlete, military, LEO, or anyone with a solid base of knowledge or time to research would benefit more from programming his/her own routine.

P.S.

I loved how so many people failed the swim in the crossfit games, or the one girl had to be shown how to do a workout before the WOD. haha. End-all, be-all of training for sure. :thumbsup:

Bullshit! Chest and arms are all you need to work! At least that was what I was yelling this morning in the gym at work while I was murdering myself on one of those stepmills whilst wearing body armor.

The worst thing about crossfit is that it has become what it hates and everytime I heard someone say "wod" I want to punch them in the mouth.

Meh, I like seeing women doing a clean snatch while on a box:ROFLMAO:

THAT BACK.

Crossfitters are basically Scientologists in PT gear.

Back