The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

I can believe that all day long. To get a 3 mile time under 18 mins requires a great amount of training specifically focused on running. Outside of some very rare specimens of the human physique, most guys are going to sacrifice in other areas to get under 18 mins.

I think that's what that one dude was saying about crossfit not helping his PFT. Maxing the Army PFT can be challenging but not overly difficult. At least from what I remember from airborne school. I can suck it up for two miles. Three miles at at six minute mile pace...that gets harder. Also, our max doesn't change with age. Which sucks as I get older. The points per event never change so a 300 point maximum PFT is always going to be 20 pullups, 100 situps (crunches) in a minute and an 18:00 three mile regardless of your age. The amount of points to make a 1st Class PFT will decrease as you age but honestly if you are only scoring a 225 1st Class PFT you need to re-evaluate your training plan and probably your profession. I've done PFTs still smelling like the marathon beer fest I endured the night prior and still scored in the 250s. That's some real crossfit! See how I did that? I crossed tequila, beer and circuit training (the PFT) to create the ultimate freedom fighter training plan.

You've got to hope that this was unsupervised...
It looks goofy, but what they're doing is actually an old strongman lift called the "Continental clean & jerk". What you're supposed to do, however, is rest the weight on your belt or gut before getting it to the rack position, and then jerk or press it. These guys have neither belts nor guts so its kinda difficult. But regardless, its a legit lift. Kinda strange for a box though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk#Variants

I've done PFTs still smelling like the marathon beer fest I endured the night prior and still scored in the 250s. That's some real crossfit! See how I did that? I crossed tequila, beer and circuit training (the PFT) to create the ultimate freedom fighter training plan.

Sir, thats the only way I do PFT's. 8-) I like your style.

Aaaaaand it's videos like that...that make CF look ridiculous to other people.
You've got to hope that this was unsupervised...

Not really. I have my fair share of negative things to say about CF as a business and a community, but I don't see how the video makes them look bad. As was already stated, they were performing a strongman movement. Strongman work has a lot of technique that is deemed "unsafe" outside of that circle. Atlas stones require an intentionally rounded back on the initial lift off the ground, for example. They were people who were obviously fairly new to the movement and didn't have the strongman body type that allows more fluidity through the turnover on the clean. Many were failing on the press as well. A press (yes, I realize it was not a strict press, but in SM a press refers to getting the bar overhead) with a thick bar like that, or an axle, is dramatically different from a press with a normal barbell.

:wall: at the one girl trying to clean the bar with a staggered grip. When the mechanics start to break down, that's when a trainer or coach should have stepped up and said, "you need to work with PVC piping, or go lighter."

Any community will have extremes on both ends of the spectrum. Its just more than often, this side is the one that shows its face first.

Whatever happened with that group that said they were going to follow CFE as RX'd, never run more than 13.1 miles, and do that badwater/ultra run?

Well, I dislike the community most of all. The only thing that I dislike more are the business practices of it's owner, and I didn't think I could dislike anything more than that entire "community" of d-bags. The high sock wearing, sweat band having, frat-boy type that permeate that place make me want to rage.

Don't lie amlove, I know you are rocking one of these tattoos...

crossfit coug muscleup.jpg

Don't worry amlove, I took a picture of myself in the mirror so you wouldn't feel so bad. Don't be jealous!

bad_tattoo.jpeg

I don't think any of them were in any condition to be doing strong man type lifts with the weights they were attempting to lift.

Based on what? I am not trying to be snarky here, I am genuinely curious as to what you saw that makes you think they weren't in any condition to be doing what they were doing.

None of them appeared to be in very good positions to be lifting the weights they were lifting, few had control of what was going on, none of that screams safe activity to me. When you see a strong man struggling with those lifts you know he's at least got fair bit of strength and conditioning to be doing what he's doing. Most of them looked like it was their first time and were lifting probably twice as much as what they should have been.

None of them appeared to be in very good positions to be lifting the weights they were lifting, few had control of what was going on, none of that screams safe activity to me. When you see a strong man struggling with those lifts you know he's at least got fair bit of strength and conditioning to be doing what he's doing. Most of them looked like it was their first time and were lifting probably twice as much as what they should have been.

They were all attempting maximal lifts. Form breakdown is a natural byproduct of attempting to lift a one rep max, particularly in a lift as segmented as the continental clean and press. I agree that they had form flaws, but I disagree that they were lifting "twice as much" as they should have been. I would be interested to see videos of many of the critics of this video in their workout routines and see how many flaws in their form could be picked out.

Stuff like that was one of the main reasons I got turn off by CF...I did nothing but CF for 6 months last year until I started to see bunch of retards like the video ^^ shown above and other bunch of Fat bodies that will do one excercise and then look at you for the rest of the WOD.

How are they retards? I suppose you do everything perfectly the 1st time and have never had anything but perfect form when learning new lifts. :rolleyes:

No my friend I'm not referring as to they are retards because of what they are doing. Im saying this because they clearly didn't take the proper safety measures/proper training to conduct this type of lift. No lifting belt, no spotter no nothing just encouragement from people who don't now what they are doing. I think they would've done a regular clean and jerk w/a regular barbell and get more out of it than doing what was presented on the video. Plus the work on perfecting form which is essential when doing O-lifts. I agree that the 1rm lift you're going to give out form but i just think this video was more of "look how much I can lift dude" than "I actually want to get something out of it without breaking my back". CDG you're right I didn't as a mess up my back multiple times when I first started messing w/ weights I would agree that that has happen to everybody at some point. The diference is identifying a weakness as soon as possible and working towards making that weakness an advantage. To make this clear I'm no fitness guru this is just my .02...

There are just as many tards in every other lifting community. I can't even count the amount of wanna be bodybuilders I have seen. The difference is I don't spend my time looking for videos of their fails on youtube. I take what is positive out of it, and keep moving.

Back