The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump isn't going to bring back jobs that went overseas. Period. He isn't going to bring back industry that has left. What he may do, and I hope he will do, is start working on infrastructure projects to fix some of the problems we have with our roads, bridges, damns, and levees. That may create jobs, depending on how the contracts are written up.

Does anyone not see the glaring problem in the logic of "well they are low paying jobs" while simultaneously decrying the people who "won't work" while calling for less immigration? We have jobs that Americans will not do. We have jobs that cannot be filled. Alabama passed an anti-immigration law to "put Alabama back to work" the result was predictable, farms went under, or were criminalized...

Trump isn't going to bring back jobs that went overseas. Period. He isn't going to bring back industry that has left. What he may do, and I hope he will do, is start working on infrastructure projects to fix some of the problems we have with our roads, bridges, damns, and levees. That may create jobs, depending on how the contracts are written up.

Does anyone not see the glaring problem in the logic of "well they are low paying jobs" while simultaneously decrying the people who "won't work" while calling for less immigration? We have jobs that Americans will not do. We have jobs that cannot be filled. Alabama passed an anti-immigration law to "put Alabama back to work" the result was predictable, farms went under, or were criminalized...

Although I agree with regards to jobs that Americans won't do bit. I think it's a bit of a bold statement to state that Trump will not repatriate good paying jobs, manufacturing and money's being held over seas.

I do believe that the corporate tax cuts mixed with taxes on import goods, will 1)level the playing field, and 2) in courage companies to come back or move to the states. However, a draw back will obviously be a consumer cost increase.

But again, I think it is disingenuous to make "it won't happen statements" before he has even assumed office.

Agree on the part of we have jobs that Americans won't do. Easy disagree on your opinion that his policies won't bring jobs back.

Americans are soft these days, I really don't get it. When it comes to feeding yourself, most don't have the self respect to grind at two jobs if they have no skills IOT pay for education. But controlling our immigration, and mobilizing public thought towards hard work. I'll be if you cut a lot of welfare programs from both the federal and state governments people would go to work. Or they'd die, but that's on them.

I always hated seeing people with Lone Star Cards buying Chips and beer at the market, then jumping into a new escalade.

Although I agree with regards to jobs that Americans won't do bit. I think it's a bit of a bold statement to state that Trump will not repatriate good paying jobs, manufacturing and money's being held over seas.

I do believe that the corporate tax cuts mixed with taxes on import goods, will 1)level the playing field, and 2) in courage companies to come back or move to the states. However, a draw back will obviously be a consumer cost increase.

But again, I think it is disingenuous to make "it won't happen statements" before he has even assumed office.

@TLDR20's comments on the state of manufacturing and low-paying jobs is the conventional wisdom of economists - both left and right of center. I haven't seen a single credible academic source arguing any of the PE's policies will do what he has promised.

But, the argument he made to the electorate - and it worked - was 'what the fuck do those guys know, this is what's going to happen.' We'll see in the coming years. But the pretense it's 'disingenuous' to believe the experts when they predict something - I don't agree with that.

Still, doesn't mean the experts can't be wrong - and doesn't mean it's impossible for the PE's promises to become a reality. I hope they do - but I don't believe they will. I mean, the polling and political experts almost universally believed polling indicated HRC would win the election - and again largely on the left and right (though there were certainly outliers on the right) - and look how that turned out.

Puhleeze....:wall:

Obama Awards Biden With Presidential Medal Of Freedom In Surprise White House Tribute | The Huffington Post

WASHINGTON ― President Barack Obama on Thursday awarded Vice President Joe Biden the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor, during a surprise event at the White House paying tribute to him.

Moving Biden to tears, Obama hailed Biden as “the best vice president America has ever had” and “a lion of American history.” When concluding his remarks, he surprised Biden by announcing the honor, a medal of freedom with distinction.

I'll be if you cut a lot of welfare programs from both the federal and state governments people would go to work. Or they'd die, but that's on them.

Oh please, lose the act.

You live in America, that isn't how a functioning society works. This is real life, not the Hunger Games.

Reactions: CDG
Trying to think of what VP Biden did in office to rate the Medal of Freedom....I know it's a gimmee award at that level.....but still....

According to the History channel:

"Joe Biden as Vice President
Biden kicked off his second attempt at the White House 20 years later but dropped out after securing only 1 percent of the delegates in the Iowa Democratic caucuses. Despite his penchant for gaffes, Barack Obama tapped him to be his running rate after winning the Democratic nomination. In the November 2008 presidential elections, Obama and Biden bested their Republican opponents, John McCain and Sarah Palin, with 52.9 percent of the popular vote.

After taking office in January 2009 as the 47th vice president of the United States, Biden was charged with overseeing a $787 billion economic stimulus package, running a middle-class task force and reviving an arms reduction treaty with Russia. He also played a strong advisory role with respect to the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Biden considered a presidential run in 2016, but ultimately decided against it."

Joe Biden - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

He also played a strong advisory role with respect to the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. <== WHAT the F@CK !?!?!

Gotta agree. The Medal of Freedom for VP Biden is kind of a head-scratcher. Kind of like Pres. Obama's Nobel Peace Prize.

Middle class task force-Fail. Arms reduction with Russia=we hit below reduction numbers yet Russian numbers are higher since New START, supposedly violated the INF treaty, and have invested heavily in their strategic arms bombers, subs, and MIRV capabilities- Super Fail. But sure, give the guy a medal that should really mean something.

MAN! Been super busy, haven't been on in a few. Let me just re-read this bad boy and catch up real quick...

... what the literal shit.
God created Mattis in His own image. And it was good. :-)
Other way around, bro, other way around!!!
This is such a bucket of fail I can't trust either side's argument in full.
Or in part. At all. I literally have not a clue as to how we got here.
This whole election I kept thinking of PE Trump saying how he could straight up shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose voters. Whether this particular new thing is true or not, the fact that so many follow him so blindly, is very upsetting.
I don't know if I would call it 'blindly'. I am not actually sure what it is. But to the bolded- I am actually convinced that he could urinate on a Lady of the Night from the Ukraine on video and Kellyanne Conway would get on TV and admonish the ghost of Tom Brokaw for fake news and people would lap it up.
Maybe that's why folks don't feel like working?
I lol'd. Well done!

Gotta agree. The Medal of Freedom for VP Biden is kind of a head-scratcher. Kind of like Pres. Obama's Nobel Peace Prize.

But no different than the auto MSM's awarded to retirees on their way out. It is all stupid and unwarranted, but not without a precedent (that I strongly disagree with) elsewhere. At the end of the day they should all stand on their own merits and that clearly isn't the case.

ETA to change "warranted" to "unwarranted."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back