"The Typical Special Operator"

I love that "general purpose" is the new "conventional."

I'm surprised there isn't a bullet on physical size...but like a Barbie we wouldn't want to give anyone a body issue complex.

I would add, "Can't find his Class A uniform."
I'd like to know where that fact came from (the 8 years in general purpose")?

My guess is enablers/support folks being added in allowed that "Politically Correct" statement to be generated.

Eight years GPF seems a bit long, that's very senior captain for the officer ranks, and could be E7 for enlisted. It was my experience that most folks have broken into SOF before that. I think it was six or seven years for me, most of my peers had gone SOF before that. The only time I saw people with more experience than that in the GPF before going SOF was some of the pilots, particularly the warrants, in the 160th.

My first exposure to CoD came when I was in Afghanistan with the 160th (and has continued ever since :-/)

Different SOPs and TTPs.

Theory is, you can take an 11B from the 101st and put him in the 10th MTN where he will do just fine with all the TTPs. I don't think you could do the same with taking an 11B from the 75th to other infantry units.

The basics are the basics and you can transition from the 75th, but that's more applicable due to typically being an NCO when the shift is required. More specifically, the outbound Ranger is more likely to be in a position to pull an Abrams Charter style deal and teach the general forces what really works well.

Most 11B's that are inbound from Regular army to Regiment, don't always do well specifically because they're used to the lower standards... not the intensity and quality of soldier from E-1 to E-9 never mind the officer corps, that reside within Regiment.

RIP/RASP is intended to weed out those that shouldn't get into Regiment, but at the same time it's a teacup taste of the kind of variable mission profile. Sometimes people pass, but can't handle things once they actually get to their respective positions. It can be attributed from not letting go of previously trained retarded shit from "legland", to just not being used to being held to standards nonstop.

They might not be used to CSM's that'll threaten a full unit training event for stupid occurrences, and once another occurred... hold true to the threat and lead it to boot...

The basics are the basics and you can transition from the 75th, but that's more applicable due to typically being an NCO when the shift is required. More specifically, the outbound Ranger is more likely to be in a position to pull an Abrams Charter style deal and teach the general forces what really works well.

I don't know, I mean in theory that should work, and probably has in the past, but in practice more recently I have heard from more than a few guys who try to teach things how they learned them in batt., but commanders or higher NCO's don't want to hear that stuff. Apparently its common to hear 'well that may be how Rangers do it, but we do it like this here'.

I don't know, I mean in theory that should work, and probably has in the past, but in practice more recently I have heard from more than a few guys who try to teach things how they learned them in batt., but commanders or higher NCO's don't want to hear that stuff. Apparently its common to hear 'well that may be how Rangers do it, but we do it like this here'.

Institutional inertia and unchecked ego at work.

Maybe I was lucky then... I PCS'ed and..

my PSG was from 6th RTB & 2/75
my CO was former 1/75
My first task as a team leader was CQM training
Second task was class A's for company event bigger "rack" than most of the leadership, subsequent 5w description of awards *Why you have extra presidential citation on uniform Sergeant? Because I earned it, Sir*
and my nuclear option trump card if necessary was the USARAK CSM (my first CSM @ 3/75)

Another focal point might have been that the whole Stryker concept was new to everyone as well because it was a newly formed stryker brigade, and basically from the platoon level up, we had latitude to take best practices from mechanized infantry where it was warranted (long mounted movements, best ways to unass the truck), take best practices from motorized infantry *hmm wonder if Aco RSOV experience counts, yep sure did*, combine those with dismounted infantry best practices *kaching RAGNAR* and couple them together with pulling some new tricks out of our hat... or at least concepts that seemed like a good idea given we've got a multi-ten-thousand pound armored truck with a heavy MG up top. Fuck your gate, we'll take the wall; fuck your stairs, we'll take the 2nd story off the top of the truck; fuck your couch, etc.

At least at the platoon level, what we thought of them was that they were:

Light armored squad transportation that at provided
A) THIS IS NOT A BRAD THIS IS NOT A TANK DO NOT USE IT AS SUCH YOU WILL GET KILLED! for the right mindset repeat after me, armored FMTV armored FMTV
B) A heavy weapons SBF capability
C) a good amount of increased SA with the electronics
D) Shelter from weather during transport, WITH a fucking heater *shivers thinking of some RSOV rides*
E) a ride to close to the fight so we showed up better rested and in a jolly mood to go kill shit vs pissed at our kidney pad or what have you
F) Your own perimeter security via 4 big f'ing gun trucks w/ crews

We knew the tires would burn. We knew the fuel tanks would burn. We knew it could roll over. We knew all these things and trained on them (thanks to the mech elements we had as NCO's) on getting the bailout hatches open under all circumstances (and keeping your gear combat effective yet slick enough to not hang up). Manually dropping ramp. Getting the driver out and taking over if he was hit. What to do for a fire. All the different NEW battle drills inherent to not only vehicular operation but THAT vehicle's operation.

Not to mention that basically every NCO in the unit had combat experience of some sort at that point, the other PSG's in the company as well (one had been an RI at 5th RTB, and one was with 10th Mountain.....in somalia) and there was a huge amount of crosstalk regarding "we KNOW we are going to combat and we WILL train right, hard, and the right way, to give best probability of 100% return" so further/faster/harder was the order of the day, every day.

Anyway, basically I would have to surmise that it's situational dependent with regards to being able to apply knowledge from Regiment. I probably had a perfect storm to be totally honest, but all my friends who have PCS'ed as well also have found good niches where their knowledge is applicable and have few complaints. At a minimum, their guys are squared the fuck away even if the institution above them is in full retard mode.

At a minimum, their guys are squared the fuck away even if the institution above them is in full retard mode.
Absolutely. And I will also add, that regardless of your best circumstance scenario and my worst circumstance scenario, the former batt. boy can always at a bare minimum effect attitudes and morale. One thing I have noticed...morale goes up and nobody wants to look like a dirtbag in front of "that Ranger guy".

Absolutely. And I will also add, that regardless of your best circumstance scenario and my worst circumstance scenario, the former batt. boy can always at a bare minimum effect attitudes and morale. One thing I have noticed...morale goes up and nobody wants to look like a dirtbag in front of "that Ranger guy".

Because he will be the first one to say publicly "WTF are you doing retard?"

Yeah, I think my brain to mouth filter was reduced significantly if not physically extracted upon completion of RIP...

I have a Ranger on my team and he's pretty much my litmus test for the BS meter...usually predicated by me saying something like "hey, watch this shit.." :thumbsup:

Back