"The Typical Special Operator"

Can break any and all items issued that were labeled "unbreakable"
This, in my experience, applies mostly to 18Ds with 18Es being a close second. Bs and Cs just seem better at handling equipment. As would break a lot of stuff too if they touched it more often- it most have something to do with the supposed "intellectual" MOSs not being as skilled with their hands. As for the intellectual part, the only non-B on my team who's his mortar gunnery and sniper math down is a C- so antenna theory, MDMP, and basic surgery doesn't make you smart, it's all a scam.

I think the most shining example I have is when our company was issued the SCAR's, and before we took them out to the range for the first time, the FN rep's swore to us that we needn't be concerned about the but stocks being plastic, that they had tested them up and down and there is nothing to be worried about. sure as shit, we had 4 broken butt stocks that first day.

I think the most shining example I have is when our company was issued the SCAR's, and before we took them out to the range for the first time, the FN rep's swore to us that we needn't be concerned about the but stocks being plastic, that they had tested them up and down and there is nothing to be worried about. sure as shit, we had 4 broken butt stocks that first day.
I had to jump through my rectum at 0300 in the morning to get a buttstock on a tactical resupply that was going out in an hour because one was broken while IMT'ing. At least if you break the plastic portion of the buttstock on an M4, you can still use what's left of it and the buff tube to shoulder the weapon- when it happens on a SCAR, you've got a long and heavy pistol.

I asked this on the ShadowSpear Facebook page and had a pretty good response. This image was released by USSOCOM. Would you remove, add, or alter anything in the below image?

I disagree with a lot of it.
Very few enlisted guys in the Regiment had college degrees. I knew 3.

8 years general purposes forces?? Again.. bs in the 75th.

All that may apply to guys in the SMUs. But I don't see it in the 75th. And most on here with the proper background will say they didn't see it commonly enough in the SF world to call it "average"

Since you can go directly into the 75th, SF, SEAL teams, PJ, CCT, etc. I would say the general purpose number is off as well.

Looking at a company photo from right before I left, I counted about 10% had a bachelors degree, and about another 20% had either an associates, or an equivelant amount of college credit under their belt.

I disagree with a lot of it.
Very few enlisted guys in the Regiment had college degrees. I knew 3.

8 years general purposes forces?? Again.. bs in the 75th.

All that may apply to guys in the SMUs. But I don't see it in the 75th. And most on here with the proper background will say they didn't see it commonly enough in the SF world to call it "average"
I do recall reading that something like 1/2 of all SEALs enlist with a degree. I can't find any link right now but I'll see if I can't pull that up.

I do recall reading that something like 1/2 of all SEALs enlist with a degree. I can't find any link right now but I'll see if I can't pull that up.

There is no way that is accurate. I know quite a few of them and only one of the 8-9 enlisted guys that I know had degrees when they enlisted.

However of the 10 guys on my ODA 7 of us have degrees and two of those are masters. That isnt the norm, but I would venture to agree with Goon about who has more degrees in the enlisted side of the house.

Crip

Lots of guys in my Co had degrees many having masters. 8 years GP forces? I don't know many guys not including X-Rays that have that much time. Most are just done with first enlistment. I will do a small case study at work today.

Most are just done with first enlistment

Thats the impression I always got from SF'ers I have been around (damn few), most were either 18x or did just enough time on the conventional side to figure out that thats not where they wanted to be, and dropped an SFAS packet.

Most guys in Regiment are home grown (and thats how we like them), but there has been a bigger push in recent years to recruit in-service guys. Very few 11B's can import succesfully, but I would say over half of our FISTers were imports, a few of our medics, half our commo, and a large portion of CSS guys were imports.

Without having any statistics, I would guess that SF has the highest percentage of educated enlisted guys.
I'd say it's between 10-20% of SF guys I know have an associates or above. I would assume that the National Guard teams have a MUCH higher percentage since they are all carrying on an additional profession.

No way. Out of over 300+ people that started with my class, I believe we had around 20 officers. Outside of them, I didn't know ANYONE that had a degree already.

Very few 11B's can import succesfully, .

Interesting. I would have thought the 11B's would have had the easiest time getting in, because of the experience with tactics, patrolling, etc. Why is this?

Interesting. I would have thought the 11B's would have had the easiest time getting in, because of the experience with tactics, patrolling, etc. Why is this?
Different SOPs and TTPs.

Theory is, you can take an 11B from the 101st and put him in the 10th MTN where he will do just fine with all the TTPs. I don't think you could do the same with taking an 11B from the 75th to other infantry units.

Part of it is leadership too. An 11b e-5 is in charge of 4 guys. E-6 is in charge of 9. It doesn't quite work out this way because you're always short on guys, but an E-5 medic isn't really in charge of anything. At least not in the field. He's attached to the platoon and pretty much at the whim of the PSG. An E-6 senior medic is in charge of the shop and 3 more medics, but even in the field he's not directing some attachment of medics. They've got time to figure out their job and get into their element. An E-5 11b is thrust into being a new guy, learning a new job, and having to lead guys that probably know more about that job. On top of that, he has to fit into the personality of the platoon and try to build rapport. The combat support guys are pretty much independent entities except for specific training events and deployments.

Back