There is No SEAL Team...

Recently released classified photo of a SEAL team resting:

seal.jpg

That's interesting. Couldn't the name be withheld through privacy provisions though? Or even classify the name at Secret? I'm sure these aren't original suggestions though.

In most circumstances, if you do it right medals and the fact that you received them do not have to be classified. What you did to get the medals could be classified, but the award certifications can (and should) be unclass. All of the certs for my deployment awards are unclass.

In most circumstances, if you do it right medals and the fact that you received them do not have to be classified. What you did to get the medals could be classified, but the award certifications can (and should) be unclass. All of the certs for my deployment awards are unclass.

I'm talking about solely making the names of anyone involved in this mission who gets medals classified. I mean, the mission itself is pretty much open source now and I think they should be rewarded for the job but quietly. Perhaps release the citation and "Petty Officer A awarded Grand Poobah Hat. Citation follows" sort of thing.

Check out the US Army Special Forces Sub forum - I posted the link to Bob Howard's Medal of Honor citation - that's the general format for any award... kind of hard to fake it out - it raises flags all over the place if it were to read "...In unknown classified areas doing unknown classified things to unknown classified bad guys, did knowingly and with great valor honor himself and the entire unknown unit in which he may or may not have been serving at the time of the mission which may or may not have happened as stated previously and might have to be redacted in order to preserve the classification of any mission which may or may not have been previously mentioned or redacted ...." they're fucking wordy enough already.

Check out the US Army Special Forces Sub forum - I posted the link to Bob Howard's Medal of Honor citation - that's the general format for any award... kind of hard to fake it out - it raises flags all over the place if it were to read "...In unknown classified areas doing unknown classified things to unknown classified bad guys, did knowingly and with great valor honor himself and the entire unknown unit in which he may or may not have been serving at the time of the mission which may or may not have happened as stated previously and might have to be redacted in order to preserve the classification of any mission which may or may not have been previously mentioned or redacted ...." they're fucking wordy enough already.

I think we've got our wires crossed. I'm only talking about classifying their names. Not the citation (though I think it should be awarded quietly, if there were to be one).

I'm talking about solely making the names of anyone involved in this mission who gets medals classified. I mean, the mission itself is pretty much open source now and I think they should be rewarded for the job but quietly. Perhaps release the citation and "Petty Officer A awarded Grand Poobah Hat. Citation follows" sort of thing.

Those names are going to come out. Even if the operators themselves are professional enough not to write a bunch of books about it, it'll get leaked. Probably soon.

Don't you think if CAG got the call they'd be the ones in the spotlight?

What's a CAG? Sounds like a NOC... Was the publicity that bad over the past 15 - 20 years?! A rose by any other name is... not a rose and never existed, that's your upper lip you're smellin' quit spending leave in Indonesia!

This conversation is toeing the OPSEC line with all the different names and terminology floating around. Especially for the internets. We are a popcorn fart from someone who hasn't been read in answering Tiger's question. and that's bad, ummmmkay.

I think you may have actually gotten a certificate of appreciation from an undisclosed forward location that read a little bit like that... :-"

Back