There is No SEAL Team...

Awards for classified missions actually have a secret or top secret classification respectively, and they have a declassify date...sometimes 20 or more years.

I have received "classified" awards before, I suspect a bunch of other folks on the site have too. They were pretty common in OIF and OEF. Usually the only thing that is classified is the writeup, which no one outside of the awards chain needs to know about anyway. The certificates, and the fact that the awards were given, are UNCLASS. The awards are reflected in my official records and the certs are in my "I love me" book. I suspect that's the way it is in the vast majority of cases throughout the military.

Anyone claiming to have received an award, even a "classified" one, should be able to put up paperwork to support that claim If they can't, then their mission was so ninja-double-secret-probation or whatever that they shouldn't be talking about it in the first place.

The certificates, and the fact that the awards were given, are UNCLASS. The awards are reflected in my official records and the certs are in my "I love me" book. I suspect that's the way it is in the vast majority of cases throughout the military.

Anyone claiming to have received an award, even a "classified" one, should be able to put up paperwork to support that claim If they can't, then their mission was so ninja-double-secret-probation or whatever that they shouldn't be talking about it in the first place.

Exactly. In the online record, it says I received X award, but the write up is not there. The actual award write up will read declassify on such and such date at the bottom.

Back