Things Every xxxxx Should Know

"The true test of a man's character is what he would do, not when someone is looking, but if he knew he would never be found out."

(Paraphrased).

Never dead head or starve a pump, always ensure flow, never mix nitrites and nitrates and always use a spotter when reversing off of a blast pattern.

We have out field trainer on site and it's time for our 24 monthly suck eggs session. :)

Knowing what you know now...

What kind of advice can you give others perusing your professions?

MOS Irrelevant, branch irrelevant, TIS Irrelevant etc.

This is open to ALL branches, ALL MOSs, and ALL kinds of units.

Knowing what you know now, what you've accomplished, etc.

For SEALs, Rangers, EOD, Special Forces, Infantry, Tank Crewmen, Commo, Military Intelligence, Military Police, Medics, etc. etc. etc.

For your particular career, from MOS/A School, to your follow-on schools, to your unit assignment, to just performing your job.

For someone outside looking into your profession, what would you tell them that you wish someone had told you prior to you going to your selection course, AIT, etc. ?

What would you tell them you wish you were told previously, on the best way to succeed in the training to master your profession? In "School"? In your unit?

What do you wish someone would have told you, in making a career of your profession? A career remaining in your unit?

What mistakes have you made, and what advice would you give someone else so they do not make the same mistakes you did?

What things have you done "right" that have helped you succeed, and what advice would you give someone else to do the same things "correctly"?

This is merely an interactive guide, so other wannabes (and myself) can get a better grasp of the military world while working our way into the ranks. And most possibly into the very jobs, and units you do/are in.

Since I have to wait until March 18th before I can do any Enlistment Processing again, PT aside (still doing PT) I'd like to aid other Wannabe's in joining the ranks, and accomplishing things I myself am temporarily ineligible for.

My hopes are, the more interactive of information this thread becomes, the better/easier it will be for others aspiring to join your ranks can choose the path they hope to walk, and better prepare themselves for what's ahead of them.

And this is not USA specific.

Even for the foreigners as well, same questions apply, only towards your experiences serving your nation. in your branch, unit, MOS (job) etc.? (I definitely know there is at least one Australian Army wannabe on here, I've spoken with him a couple times in the past, and know there are a few Australian Army Soldiers on here etc. etc. )

ALSO! ASI, SQI, etc. info is same deal, i.e. Snipers, Dog Handlers, etc. etc. etc.

Any, and all input is welcome.

Thank you everybody, even for your time in just reading this. :)

G-man, good questions.

I have one answer that I think is important.
Always try to do what is "right". Stand up for what you believe to be the "right thing to do" as per what values your Mom and Dad may have taught you...no matter if you are 25yrs old, or 75 years old. Decide on your values, and stand up for them.

Don't let anyone tell you that "you can either do what's right, or you can have a career". Bullshit.

True that life has some times where you have to "pick your battles", and maybe it's not always correct to address an issue "head on" at THAT time...but don't compromise on your values because you think it might further your career.

IF you surround yourself with quality people, for every person that sticks it to you because you wouldn't compromise your values, is another person who will STAND UP for you when you make that stand.

The ability to sleep at night with a CLEAR CONSCIENCE is the most valuable thing in the world. To be able to walk down any street, and NOT have to look over your shoulder wondering why "that person" seemed to look at you a little too long...it's a RARE thing these days.

As somebody said before...it's the Cowboy way. And most of all, it's the (old school)American way. Sure you may raise a little hell, and such, but don't ever just walk on weaker people. Stand up for them. This may be a bit before your time, but check out the movie True Grit (John Wayne).

I'm sure folks older/smarter than I can add to this thought. The hardest times come when there ARE NO good choices, and you have to pick between two shitty decisions. That's called a "Catch 22". That's when the choices get tough.

But most of the time just try to do what you know feels like the right thing to do, and it will always sort itself out. Teach the younger people that same message.

:cool:

As for choosing my branch of service (Army National Guard), I was unable to join any other branch of service due to getting in trouble with the law as teenager. I tried to join the USMC and was turned down, I tried to join the regular Army and was turned down, I even tried to join the US Navy and was turned down. Two years later I ran into a National Guard recruiter and was given a wavier and joined with in a week.

Choosing my MOS (Infantryman) was based on my personal idea of being a soldier, I wanted to fight. My father’s side of the family was all combat arms officers, my mother side of the family were all enlisted support. My grandfather from my mother’s side was in the medical field and begged me to pick an MOS that would build a civilian carrier. I dismissed his pleas on the grounds that I did not want to serve my country in an MOS that would not put me in front of the enemy. Looking back, I would have made the same choice today.

BCT/ AIT were nothing what I had expected or prepared for, the PT was easy and the training was dumb’ed down to a level that any person could pass. The road marches were the most challenging for me, but even those were made to pass. Even with all of the ease and simple training, the hardest thing for me was being away from home and dealing with all of the different personalities with in the platoon/ company. I was never a social person before I joined and this caused me to be extremely frustrated with the lack of personal space and privacy. I have since gotten over that! ;)

I was fortunate to go straight to the battalion scout platoon as my first assignment. In the scout platoon I was challenged more by the INDOC (14day) program and being accepting on my team (90 day probation period), then I ever was in the 17 weeks I spent at BCT/ AIT. I learned to be the best that I could possibly be and to become a team player. I learned to rely on my teammates and to be reliable for my team, I become in tuned with mission prep and becoming proficient in my duties. These experiences have been valuable in everything I have done since.

I volunteered in 2003 to deploy to Iraq (04-05) after sitting on the bench, I wanted to experience combat and go against the “warrior test” that I thought was important. My experience from that deployment was that I should have waited and gone with the unit I trained with and knew well. Even though I have a bond with the soldiers of the unit I deployed with, it was not all fun in the sun. I had to re-earn the respect I had in my old unit and I went from the HSLD soldiers in a tested and probated scout platoon to a NG line unit. It was an un-fun/ unsafe experience to say the least.

I returned from Iraq and became an operation warrior trainer (OWT) instructor in small arms and combatives. This was a very important lesson in my life, b/c I was able to influence soldier of all ranks and MOS’s to become better in their shooting and fighting skills. I felt that I was making a difference and helping to prepare soldiers going over seas, to deal with the things I had experienced and felt that I was unprepared to deal with. This was a great experience for a soldier who recently returned from direct combat in Iraq.

In 2007 I had begun to feel pressured to train soldiers in things I felt were unsafe and incorrect, I realized that my experience and understanding of the war in Iraq had become outdated. I requested to be released from the OWT program and volunteered to deploy to Iraq again. In 2007 I started to train up and deployed back to Iraq in 2008, needless to say my first experience in Iraq compared to my second was night and day. I have since returned and have been in medical hold (WTU) receiving medical treatment of injuries I had received on both deployments. I will be leaving the military with in the next several months, due to my injuries and families request.

Now I would be lying if I said I did not have any regrets and or unsatisfactory accomplishments from my service. I never went to Airborne/ Ranger school, two schools I swore I would go to before I left the military. I never became a member of two units I swore I would join before I got out. However, my HSLD time has come and gone and as I stated before “I never joined to do anything other then fight”. My interest in the military stops there and I have come to terms with my current health that will keep me from continuing on that path.

My personal advice to someone looking to take a path similar to mine is to take advantage of ever opportunity you are given to accomplish your thoughts and goals. Devote every once of energy and mental focus you have to your service to your country and brothers in arms. Stay positive and motivated and remember that everything you do is important. Take all training seriously and drive your self to be the best in every aspect of your duties. Stay confident in your abilities and be confident in the abilities of your brothers to your left and right. And as always do the right thing, no matter how it will affect you our your unit.:2c:

Good luck! ;)

Always do your best. Our service members deserve nothing less.
Exactly.
Do what you know feels like the right thing to do, and it will always sort itself out. Teach the younger people that same message. :cool:

Read a book on American History; then pass it along to a teenager. Help them know what freedom is, tell them of the sacrifices of our forefathers Then explain to them what caused the fall of the Athenian Empire.

Tell them of the sacrifices Americans have made for the people of the world who wish to be free. Tell them about our service personnel who have made a commitment to freedom pledging all including their life for people we do not know because it is the right thing to do.

Help them to learn to cover their heart when the American flag passes and to stand as it represents all our country was created for and all the men and women who have made the supreme sacrifice. Teach them to think and to become informed, to avoid the brain washing attempts of mass control. Teach them to research, become knowledgeable, informed, and appreciative of that fragile flower called freedom; for once lost it can only be regained by great courage and greater sacrifice.

G-Man, Here's a great read for you.
http://www.amazon.com/First-Seal-Roy-Boehm/dp/0671536265
:)

LOL, that's a shotgun approach to information gathering. Sadly, many of the questions are career field or unit specific.

I’d say everyone on this board, if not driven to be in a SOF unit, is driven to succeed. That internal fire isn’t something that is easily created by your drill sergeants or instructors, that’s something you build from within.

I think it is the Intel and Support section further down that has threads on things every NCO and Officer should know. Read those, it will give you some insight into good behavior. To be fair, you also have to experience bad behavior to see how important those threads are. There’s also a reading list in the same forum, I’d start looking at those books. Also, every service has a reading list, go find those and look at the books for any rank or the E-4 and below ranks; don’t forget that current events have their roots in sometimes ancient history, so to learn about the world today it helps to learn about the world from centuries or even millennia ago.

When you get in, chase knowledge; don’t necessarily chase badges or tabs unless you need those for a career path.

At some point should you do it long enough you may find yourself overwhelmed with choices. Choose one and don’t look back. Don’t live in the past and think “shoulda’, coulda’, woulda’.” If you spend too much time looking back you won’t see where you are going. It is an easy trap to fall into.

Be the best at your job, it opens up doors for you.

Learn how to deal with people, I see too many of the youth today that are socially inept.

One last thing: relax.

Great advice thanks

; don’t forget that current events have their roots in sometimes ancient history, so to learn about the world today it helps to learn about the world from centuries or even millennia ago.

When you get in, chase knowledge; don’t necessarily chase badges or tabs unless you need those for a career path.

At some point should you do it long enough you may find yourself overwhelmed with choices. Choose one and don’t look back. Don’t live in the past and think “shoulda’, coulda’, woulda’.” If you spend too much time looking back you won’t see where you are going. It is an easy trap to fall into.

Be the best at your job, it opens up doors for you.

Learn how to deal with people, I see too many of the youth today that are socially inept.

One last thing: relax.

Live your life with honor and integrity - you owe that to those around you, even if they do not live by those rules; you owe it to yourself, so that you can look at yourself in the mirror everyday without puking at what you have become without them.

It's easier to be honest and admit you fucked up, than to lie and have to remember what you told to whom.

A simple small act of kindness has the power to multiply, a simple small act of evil can do the same.

Enough philosophizing for me - I'm going camping overnight.

What the GI Wants in His Leaders

The men and officers of an infantry battalion on combat duty with the Twelfth Army Group in France were asked this question: "What qualities, in your opinion, make a man a good leader?"** Here are the most frequently mentioned leadership qualities as worded in the men's replies:

"A leader must have a thorough knowledge of his job and must see that his men know that he knows it.

"He must rotate duties and missions without partiality, exercising judgment and fairness in all decisions and never allowing personal feelings to affect the performance of his duties.

"He must think clearly and he able to make quick, sound decisions. He must give orders with an air of confidence even when the going gets rough.

"He should show a cheerful front under even the most trying circumstances and never appear excited.

"He must make the men feel that he is interested in them and doing his best to help them. The men should know that he will stick up for them if need arises.
*"The leader should have something called 'personality.' If the men do not feel free to come to him, he is not their leader.* He should know each man personally and understand the job of each man under him.
*"He must earn the confidence and respect of his men by sharing their common lot; they should be able to think of him as one of them.
*"He must comply with his own rules and regulations and should never ask his men to undertake a mission that he would be unable or unwilling to attempt himself.
*"He must be in the fight with his men, but even when setting an example of courage should not expose him-self foolishly nor allow or expect his men to do so.
*"The good leader encourages; he does not nag.
*"The leader should keep his men oriented as to their mission and situation."

American N NZ's post here http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19236

gave me the idea for this thread.

What advice would you give someone starting out in some phase of life though which you have already passed, or are in now?

Student, Soldier, mother, businessman, librarian, troll, :D whatever, what would you say to someone starting off?

1. Surround yourself with positive people. Those who are experts, champions and very successful.
2. Don't do drugs, pollute your body and stay out of trouble with the law
3. Read
4. Go to college
5. Learn how money works. Save it
6. Steer clear of relationships that will drag you down. This applies both men and women. If someone doesn't meet your standards then walk away.
7. Take care of yourself. Go to the gym, run, yoga, etc
8. Travel when you can.
9. Learn a trade. Learning to fix a leaky pipe, hammer nails or do basic repair around your house isn't voodoo magic.
10. Study a martial arts, how to shoot a gun and how to defend yourself from attack. Don't be someone that says "It won't happen to me" because it may
11. If you're going to enlist and serve choose your own path
12. Do not loan others money unless you have a written agreement you're going to get it back.
13. Be nice

Refusal to write your own awards and or NCOERs is equal to refusing awards and promotion. Take it from a nine year E-5 with five deployments and two awards

Additionally, reward HARD work...dont reward some one for doing their freakin' job.

Back