Trophy Active Protection System - Why don't we use this?

Six-Two

Unverified
Hey guys,

Some of you may be familiar with this tech - or its appearance in the Call of Duty games - but it's basically a combination of radar and a media discharger that can disable incoming projectiles in-flight with a blast of buckshot. There's a video below for those unfamiliar. I'm just wondering why we haven't used these overseas, particularly in Iraq, where the terrain and layout are similar to the Gaza conflict, where "a tank brigade equipped with the system destroyed dozens of RPGs in a high-clutter urban environment, many of which would have been lethal if they impacted, with no collateral injury, no danger to dismounts, and no false engagements."

Either way, pretty cool tech - here's hoping we can see it on our side soon.

Does the computer have the proper level of artificial intelligence to distinuish between enemy fire and friendly fire? My best bet is that although the technology is exciting, the computer running the show has not shown reliable enough results differentiating between the individuals firing the projectiles, which could obviously cause the good guys more than a few problems. DARPA has created machines and androids that are purely astonishing, but advances in AI and computerized consciousness before we see these types of machines on the battlefield.

http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/members/cyberkeyslingermd5.8239/

*Advances in AI and computerized consciousness *must be pushed forth*...
Does the computer have the proper level of artificial intelligence to distinuish between enemy fire and friendly fire? My best bet is that although the technology is exciting, the computer running the show has not shown reliable enough results differentiating between the individuals firing the projectiles, which could obviously cause the good guys more than a few problems. DARPA has created machines and androids that are purely astonishing, but advances in AI and computerized consciousness before we see these types of machines on the battlefield.

Why would we fire RPG's at our own tanks?
(yes, I see he is banned, but others may still read this thread)

If they had some new high-speed ceramic armor, they wouldn't need computer systems to protect them... :D

Yeah, you guys beat me to the punch. I would imagine it's based on the munitions bearing, not its, uh, affiliation.

I would assume that somebody in a Striker wouldn't really care if the missile hurtling towards him read "Made in USA" on the side or "Made in Russia" as long as it was shot out of the air before it exploded in his sternum.

Back