United States & Gun Control discussion.

Why was he crying?

Crying on television and trying to invoke imagery of heartbroken families and dead children does nothing but make the decision to declare an EO seem like it was emotive decision, rather than a decision backed by facts, figures and a watertight argument. His tears seemed more like an attempt to appeal to a certain audience that he was doing the right thing.

I have no particular dog in this fight, as it doesn't effect me. President Obama's tears really just bugged me though.

The Unted States has a strange dynamic, and it's hard to understand until you realize that 1 in 3 black males in America will be incarcerated during their lifetime. Now, think about the sons, daughters, wives, girlfriends, grandmothers, uncles, cousins, etc. If you are African American, issues that have anything to do with the justice system will touch you... always.

http://sentencingproject.org/doc/publications/rd_ICCPR Race and Justice Shadow Report.pdf

This staggering statistic explains why, if you are a Democrat, you can pander to minorities in ways that come off looking "soft" on crime, when viewed from the white middle class demographic point of view.

It really is about votes.
I never figured street gang members to be the types to go out and vote, no matter what the country.

The Unted States has a strange dynamic, and it's hard to understand until you realize that 1 in 3 black males in America will be incarcerated during their lifetime. Now, think about the sons, daughters, wives, girlfriends, grandmothers, uncles, cousins, etc. If you are African American, issues that have anything to do with the justice system will touch you... always.

http://sentencingproject.org/doc/publications/rd_ICCPR Race and Justice Shadow Report.pdf

This staggering statistic explains why, if you are a Democrat, you can pander to minorities in ways that come off looking "soft" on crime, when viewed from the white middle class demographic point of view.

It really is about votes.

Yeah I'll be honest and say I have no idea. I took the quote at face value which wasn't really the sensible thing to do.

Regarding voting and gang activity, there is a neat little section about this in the book Gang Leader for a Day (pg 75-86). Sorry for not posting a link. Short version, Chicago gang leaders partner up with community groups and they send out their peons door to door. The low level guys collect information and tell people who to vote for. What I understood was that the politicians were equivalent to Colonels, community groups to staff officers, gang leaders to line officers/ ncos, and the gang members to joes.

The joes in this context would be tasked out to see who was registered, drive people to polling locations, make sure everyone voted, and coerce people to vote for the candidate the gang was backing. Not trying to rag on Chicago or the left, but it makes me wonder what ties the left has to organized crime in order to pull these things off. In particular when passing laws that don't seem to touch organized crime.

...Not trying to rag on Chicago or the left, but it makes me wonder what ties the left has to organized crime in order to pull these things off. In particular when passing laws that don't seem to touch organized crime.

If you live in the 'hood, black or Latino, you're tied to organized crime. Somebody you know, neighbor's kid, your third cousin, your sister's boyfriend, somebody in your family or extended family has a gang connection. That's a broad statement but I believe it to be true. And whatever local politician represents you is either A. gonna have a gang connection somewhere on the family tree, or B. be sympathetic to issues related to prevailing conditions (i.e. aware of who the real power-brokers are in the 'hood), C. be scared to death of them or D. pander to them like a slavering dog.

And Leftist politicians up the chain will pander to any minority.

And whatever local politician represents you is either A. gonna have a gang connection somewhere on the family tree, or B. be sympathetic to issues related to prevailing conditions (i.e. aware of who the real power-brokers are in the 'hood), C. be scared to death of them or D. pander to them like a slavering dog.

Or some combination thereof.

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download

How many crimes are committed by persons who receive guns from estates? The new background check regulations (it ain't no law) now require it!
Which is funny because the talking head on the radio just said estate's were exempt.
The object is to identify weapons which have "fallen off the RADAR" for eventual confiscation.

Baby steps toward confiscation; the long term goal of some is clearly to disarm the people.

There is no other conceivable legitimate reason for this, as the statistics show this is addressing an area virtually free of criminal activity.

If you live in the 'hood, black or Latino, you're tied to organized crime. Somebody you know, neighbor's kid, your third cousin, your sister's boyfriend, somebody in your family or extended family has a gang connection. That's a broad statement but I believe it to be true. And whatever local politician represents you is either A. gonna have a gang connection somewhere on the family tree, or B. be sympathetic to issues related to prevailing conditions (i.e. aware of who the real power-brokers are in the 'hood), C. be scared to death of them or D. pander to them like a slavering dog.

I think your dead on. Heck I've seen this criminal connection in the ghetto and nice leafy college cities.

Or some combination thereof.

This makes me wonder what their endgame is. How do these politicians profit by trying to pass these laws, and who is going to profit from their actions in the long run? I keep hearing the words legacy, control, confiscation, ignorance, and hubris to describe the reason for these changes. What I don't understand is the long term reasoning behind all of these decisions. What is driving the figureheads of the country to act in such a strange manner?

Sorry if I'm grasping at straws. Trying to figure out the motivations behind these shenanigans has been bugging the shit out of me.

Last edited:

Dead on.
I had a guy who worked as my NCOIC (last assignment) whose wife seemed connected to every gang-banger that dies in San Antonio.
I made him wear B's to the funerals :D

This makes me wonder what their endgame is. How do these politicians profit by trying to pass these laws, and who is going to profit from their actions in the long run? I keep hearing the words legacy, control, confiscation, ignorance, and hubris to describe the reason for these changes. What I don't understand is the long term reasoning behind all of these decisions. What is driving the figureheads of the country to act in such a strange manner?

Guns -- and fighting their existence -- is a money issue as much as a safety one. In the eyes of those that want to take guns away and restrict them to the point of not wanting to have one if you do...guns = drugs = gangs and mayhem. Heck...there are agencies whose sole purpose is weapons based.

Fighting the guns -- which can't fight back -- allows them the opportunity to attack a tool rather than having to attack the real problem -- the tools using the weapons.

Ok so here is something that bothers me.

A vet with PTSD who is deemed unfit under these new rules gets denied a gun.

My response is he is good enough to carry a rifle and serve but can't in the civilian world?

It bothers me and I am not sure why.

My response is he is good enough to carry a rifle and serve but can't in the civilian world?

Because the Administration (via the VA) has been working to disarm vets.
Because guys will avoid a PTSD diagnosis to keep their weapons, thereby not getting treatment for what may be a mild issue.
Because getting off the "bad boy" list will be next to impossible.

Email your Representatives and Senators. Personally, I think it's sad when people who hate both the military and guns are making decisions about military and guns.

Because the Administration (via the VA) has been working to disarm vets.
Because guys will avoid a PTSD diagnosis to keep their weapons, thereby not getting treatment for what may be a mild issue.
Because getting off the "bad boy" list will be next to impossible.

So sad and angry

What he said.

Email your Representatives and Senators. Personally, I think it's sad when people who hate both the military and guns are making decisions about military and guns.

I have. It's sad.

I need a gun and these laws work against me.

Back