United States & Gun Control discussion.

@Diamondback 2/2
One of my things is that I feel that talent and creativity are one thing. When people use that talent to promote things that I don't agree with, I can still respect the process, and laugh at jokes that I find work the situation correctly.

On the flip side, Gary Sinise who was mentioned earlier, and who I think has a great cause, plays music that I think is a step above Nickleback. I can respect a cause and not respect "talent". I guess I don't look at every entertainment undertaking as having to correlate with the messages or themes I agree with.

In reality I think if I had to choose my music, art, comedy, and other leisurely activities only based on agreeing politics, I would lead a pretty shitty boring life.

@Diamondback 2/2
One of my things is that I feel that talent and creativity are one thing. When people use that talent to promote things that I don't agree with, I can still respect the process, and laugh at jokes that I find work the situation correctly.

On the flip side, Gary Sinise who was mentioned earlier, and who I think has a great cause, plays music that I think is a step above Nickleback. I can respect a cause and not respect "talent". I guess I don't look at every entertainment undertaking as having to correlate with the messages or themes I agree with.

In reality I think if I had to choose my music, art, comedy, and other leisurely activities only based on agreeing politics, I would lead a pretty shitty boring life.

Yeah I was trying to point out that regardless of the issue, the sketch just wasn't funny. As in, I like jokes, I laugh at jokes, me be liking dah jokes, but didn't see/hear any...

With regard to comedy and it's influence, I can remember seeing the cover of Esquire after the McCain/Palin defeat. It had a picture of Tina Fey with the headline, (which I paraphrase): "Tina Fey, The Woman who Defeated Sarah Palin (or the GOP)" or something to that effect...

Noticed that a bunch of comics/entertainers (which I classify as a gaggle of second rate humans) have so much influence. In the Schumer video posted earlier, at the end it had the message to support "newtown". If they would have just made the video without the "newtown" endorsement it would have just been a joke in poor taste. Them adding that label changed it from comedy, to an endorsement for a political group.

Tina Fay, Schumer, and all the others are just puppets. Whoever is pulling their strings is really good at spreading about misinformation.

Noticed that a bunch of comics/entertainers (which I classify as a gaggle of second rate humans) ...
Up until about the Renaissance, entertainers (actors, musicians) were one level above prostitutes in the caste system.

Yep, apparently living your life through make beleive (acting) used to not be respected.

Jimmy Buffett has said that entertainers are the descendants of court jesters. He's right.

We've spent years teaching our children to take anything entertainers say on social issues with a big dose of skepticism.

I think I even used "line repeating stage monkey" at one point a couple years ago while reinforcing this.

Perhaps that was a bit too far, but then, I'm the Weird Guy Down the Street who also shows his children how to properly extend and picket concertina wire.*

*ETA: Bearing in mind, they don't actually do it. :p:D

Last edited:
Interesting example of the media manipulating the video from an interview to give the viewer a perception that they really should not be left with:

Katie Couric Edits Gun Groups Comments For Under The Gun

and...here is the audio/video that goes along with the story. What a smug bitch.

Notice that she removes, "I know how you all are going to answer this but I"m asking anyway" from her version. It is still in the original audio.

Last edited:
but part of the process of getting it in front of the supreme court.

From the, be careful what you wish for file. Some time ago (circa 1990's) a Minnesota sportsman organization (PERM), took their decades long battle with Native American Indians over walleye treaty fishing rights to the US Supreme Court. PERM lost their ass and the indians won the figurative lottery. To say Minnesota fisherman are still bitter (with both the indians and PERM) would be an understatement. Once amazing fishing lakes are to the point of being catch/release only...while the indians smile and continue to net walleyes.

The Supreme Court scares me.

From the, be careful what you wish for file. Some time ago (circa 1990's) a Minnesota sportsman organization (PERM), took their decades long battle with Native American Indians over walleye treaty fishing rights to the US Supreme Court. PERM lost their ass and the indians won the figurative lottery. To say Minnesota fisherman are still bitter (with both the indians and PERM) would be an understatement. Once amazing fishing lakes are to the point of being catch/release only...while the indians smile and continue to net walleyes.

The Supreme Court scares me.

When you walk into a courtroom, you never really know just what the outcome will be. I've learned this with my son's divorce that's been about as nasty and ugly as I've ever heard of. Been to court three times. The US Supreme Court is no different, there is just more in the line when you are debating at that level.

Last edited:
Back