United States & Gun Control discussion.

The "list" is only a tool, there are many levels of the "list"...from admin to No fly.

I would disagree to tying the purchase of a firearm to the list in any way, that's not what it was created for.

BUT......you can buy a gun from a private seller at a gunshow with no checks, not saying its bad...but definitely makes it easier for the person wishing to get around the gun check.

You can do that anywhere (well anywhere you can legally possess a gun - the local elementary school is out)[/Devil's Advocate]

BUT......you can buy a gun from a private seller at a gunshow with no checks, not saying its bad...but definitely makes it easier for the person wishing to get around the gun check.

Feds need to focus on illegal gun sales in States where P2P sales are illegal (interestingly majority are very high crime) but that would take some work. Better to focus (and showboat) on an insignificant volume of sales.

The "gun show loophole" is a myth but readily accepted as fact.

I just bought a RPD over the Internet with no check! :rolleyes:

I can buy a gun from a private seller anywhere, what's your case there?
The "Gun Show Loophole" won't eliminate straw purchases, and wouldn't have stopped this attack.
Has TSA come out and said the shooter was on the no-fly list?

I'd actually support the "gun show loophole." Make all vendors who sell a gun hold an FFL. Sure, private sales can still occur elsewhere, but you've reduced the visibility and presumably lower prices that come with the environment.

I honestly think we should focus on exiting laws and upgrading technology, but I'm keenly aware this topic isn't going away. The more the Right and the NRA stand there with their arms crossed the more ground they lose. They really need to throw the Left a bone here and then dig in. Let the Left scream "it isn't enough" rather than "they are doing nothing." The Right can help shape the almost inevitable changes or get trampled, probably with stiffer consequences.

I'd actually support the "gun show loophole." Make all vendors who sell a gun hold an FFL. Sure, private sales can still occur elsewhere, but you've reduced the visibility and presumably lower prices that come with the environment.

I honestly think we should focus on exiting laws and upgrading technology, but I'm keenly aware this topic isn't going away. The more the Right and the NRA stand there with their arms crossed the more ground they lose. They really need to throw the Left a bone here and then dig in. Let the Left scream "it isn't enough" rather than "they are doing nothing." The Right can help shape the almost inevitable changes or get trampled, probably with stiffer consequences.
All the vendors I see at Gun Shows have FFL's and run the NICS when you purchase, that's why I believe it is a "red herring" to scream about the gun show loophole.

All the vendors I see at Gun Shows have FFL's and run the NICS when you purchase, that's why I believe it is a "red herring" to scream about the gun show loophole.

And that's good. I don't know if it is universal or not, but regardless the pro-2A side needs a plan to shape the discussion or we're going to be spectators in the upcoming battle.

I stand behind you in line at the store...my weapon, tucked away, under my shirt. You are none the wiser, yet you are safer for having me next to you. I won't shoot you. My gun won't pull it's own trigger. It is securely holstered with the trigger covered. It can't just go off. However, rest assured that if a lunatic walks into the grocery store and pulls out a rifle, I will draw my pistol and protect myself and my family and therefore protect you and your family. I may get shot before I can pull the trigger...but, I won't die in a helpless blubbering heap on the floor begging for my life or my families life. No, if I die it will be in a pile of spent shell casings. I won't be that victim. I choose not to be. As for you, I don't ask you to carry a gun. If you are not comfortable, then please don't. But I would like to keep my right to choose and not become a helpless victim. There is evil in the world and if evil has a gun, I will be prepared when the time comes, even if you aren't.

I have been a party to at least one P2P sale where both parties involved met at a designated FFL that would agree to conduct the background check. It wasn't all that much of an inconvenience, really.

I can buy a gun from a private seller anywhere, what's your case there?
The "Gun Show Loophole" won't eliminate straw purchases, and wouldn't have stopped this attack.
Has TSA come out and said the shooter was on the no-fly list?

No case DASWO, I was just responded to the statement about FFL at gun shows. I fully support P2P sales, and have bought and sold firearms at the Dallas Market Hall gun show all the time.

And how does this nitwit plan to pull off "domestic disarmament?" There's only one way to get guns out of the hands of Americans: mass confiscation. Just the logistics would be staggering not to mention the biggest bloody fuck-fest since 1865. God help us from retards like this.
Most of the folks who were willing to be disarmed stayed on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Back