United States & Gun Control discussion.

@CQB I liken it to drunk drivers. No one is screaming for a ban on cars because of drunk drivers. More people in the U.S. die from tobacco products than guns, yet no one is taking a stand against big tobacco like they are against guns. In my opinion it's the lefts side of the county's ruling class to disarm us to impose their ideas and will upon us.
Tobacco generally hurts the user. Maniac killing randomly hurts many more( playing devils advocate)

@DC, Abso farking lootly. Risk is an interesting area & this plays into it. Tobacco consumption is a personal choice, with a risk of disease. Driving a car is risky but the risk is acceptable as the driver perceives his risk is minimal, as he’s in control of the vehicle, though there’s still residual risk. The gun issue fundamentally is one of limiting risk.

Your response of "lighten up" is a dick comment. I have zero online relationship with you and have no way of guessing whether or not you are making an attempt at humor. Truth be told, I don't care if it was a joke or not.

At the end of the day I took your comment seriously and responded in kind.

My bad for failure to execute proper usage of emojis. Post corrected...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tobacco generally hurts the user. Maniac killing randomly hurts many more( playing devils advocate)

If only that were true. Second-hand smoke, trash, and fires, not to mention the health expenses (which most tobacco addicted can’t pay on their own) affect all of us.

I bet it also Lilla more Americans every year than gun crimes but I’d have to research that.

Liberty is ri
@DC, Abso farking lootly. Risk is an interesting area & this plays into it. Tobacco consumption is a personal choice, with a risk of disease. Driving a car is risky but the risk is acceptable as the driver perceives his risk is minimal, as he’s in control of the vehicle, though there’s still residual risk. The gun issue fundamentally is one of limiting risk.

Liberty is inherently risky. I’m sure the government could keep us completely “safe” but we’d have no freedom.

There’s always residual risk, or latterly “risk appertite.” I doubt any government could keep its constituents 100% safe, but it doesn’t mean they stop trying. The freedom quotient also has to be balanced.

Last edited:
I’m not too sure of the US situation but I’d say off the cuff that a Federal law would outweigh a state law any day.

Often, yes, but that came about from a slippery slope of degradation of state laws and overuse of federal authority. Our constitution's 10th amendment is pretty clear about state authority. The federal government was never supposed to be "over" the states.

I’m not too sure of the US situation but I’d say off the cuff that a Federal law would outweigh a state law any day.

Heh, marijuana is still illegal by Federal law...but many states have legalized it for recreational use, Alaska, California, Colorado, Main, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Washington DC. (as of 2017)

Heh, marijuana is still illegal by Federal law...but many states have legalized it for recreational use, Alaska, California, Colorado, Main, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Washington DC. (as of 2017)

Yeah, I’ve wondered about that. Because we are a Republic I have always been pro-State’s rights and have hated to see the way the Federal Govt strong armed states into passing laws for national consistency. Being 21 to drink and seatbelt laws come immediately to mind. “We cannot make you, but we’ll withhold Bilions of dollars in highway funds if you don’t”.

But somehow Denver can declare pot legal and open up head-shops? Can they do the same thing with cocaine and prostitution? (Serious question)

Always follow the money I guess.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

From what I have read the States can restrict access to firearms by age but during the ratification the 2A was it not implied that all military aged, able bodied males be part of the militia?

Ten Thoughts on the Second Amendment and Gun Control

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

From what I have read the States can restrict access to firearms by age but during the ratification the 2A was it not implied that all military aged, able bodied males be part of the militia?

Ten Thoughts on the Second Amendment and Gun Control

umm, title 10 covers this... I actually mentioned something specifically about it.

Often, yes, but that came about from a slippery slope of degradation of state laws and overuse of federal authority. Our constitution's 10th amendment is pretty clear about state authority. The federal government was never supposed to be "over" the states.
Understood, we have a similar State/Federal split which comes from the US model. I’m unaware of the rest of the info in your post. Thanks for the heads up.

Back