United States & Gun Control discussion.

@ThunderHorse
I think you’ll find that you’re mistaken.

Just to mention a few of the instances of mismanagement/scandal in the NRA’s recent history:

2016: The NRA reports loss of $46 million + $40 million in pension liabilities

2016: NRA records $1 million in lobbying expenses to the IRS, but $3.4 million to congress

2017: NRA pays advertising firm Ackerman McQueen $40 million and Ackerman McQueen refuses to provide documentation on what the money was for

2017: NRA membership revenue falls 21%

2018: Maria Butina convicted of conspiracy to act as a foreign agent of Russia

2018: Wall Street Journal poll finds Americans hold a net unfavorable view of the NRA

2018: NRA files complaint admitting financial issues and inability to obtain insurance coverage

2019: NRA leadership (North and LaPierre) accuse each other of impropriety. North alleges millions embezzled by LaPierre

2020: 18 month long investigation into $60+ million in financial fraud and misconduct results in civil suits by AGs

I agree with you that the second amendment is under duress. Not due to a vague left wing conspiracy, but rather due to a steadily shifting public opinion towards more restrictive gun control that is being pushed as an agenda item by politicians on both sides.

Whatever the reason, a flailing NRA run by poor leaders won’t do anything to educate/inform people or change opinions on gun control. It won’t be shut down, but it needs to be cleaned up and restructured. We’ll just have to see what happens in court.

NRA has problems. Like any organization. But this is a most definite political hatchet job.

The amount of firearms education you can get from the NRA is almost boundless. It is a massive organization and I stand by my opinion that without them, Gun Owners in this country will lose a mile, in what is a fight for meters.

Add it up. Election year, etc, just like the now bullshit Steele dossier.

@ThunderHorse If you read the suit you'll find that it actually names 4 specific defendants.

Wayne LaPierre
Wilson Phillips
John Frazier
Joshua Powell

The organization in general is named according to the suit because:

"... the NRA, at the direction of the Individual Defendants and with a series of failures of required oversight by its Board, has persistently engaged in illegal and unauthorized activities in the conduct and transaction of its business[...]
As a result of these persistent violations of law by the Defendants, the Attorney General seeks a finding by this Court that the NRA is liable to be dissolved pursuant to
(a) N-PCL § 1101(a)(2) based upon the NRA’s pattern of conducting its business in a persistently fraudulent or illegal manner, abusing its powers contrary to public policy of New York and its tax exempt status, and failing to provide for the proper administration of its trust assets and institutional funds; and/or
(b) N-PCL § 1102(a)(2) because directors or members in control of the NRA have looted or wasted the corporation assets, have operated the NRA solely for their personal benefit, or have otherwise acted in an illegal, oppressive or fraudulent manner. The Attorney General requests that this Court determine, in the exercise of its discretion under Section 1109(b)(1) of the N-PCL, that the interest of the public and the members of the NRA supports a decision to dissolve the NRA[...]"

@ThunderHorse If you read the suit you'll find that it actually names 4 specific defendants.

Wayne LaPierre
Wilson Phillips
John Frazier
Joshua Powell

The organization in general is named according to the suit because:

"... the NRA, at the direction of the Individual Defendants and with a series of failures of required oversight by its Board, has persistently engaged in illegal and unauthorized activities in the conduct and transaction of its business[...]
As a result of these persistent violations of law by the Defendants, the Attorney General seeks a finding by this Court that the NRA is liable to be dissolved pursuant to
(a) N-PCL § 1101(a)(2) based upon the NRA’s pattern of conducting its business in a persistently fraudulent or illegal manner, abusing its powers contrary to public policy of New York and its tax exempt status, and failing to provide for the proper administration of its trust assets and institutional funds; and/or
(b) N-PCL § 1102(a)(2) because directors or members in control of the NRA have looted or wasted the corporation assets, have operated the NRA solely for their personal benefit, or have otherwise acted in an illegal, oppressive or fraudulent manner. The Attorney General requests that this Court determine, in the exercise of its discretion under Section 1109(b)(1) of the N-PCL, that the interest of the public and the members of the NRA supports a decision to dissolve the NRA[...]"

Again, not my point. My point is timing. And the timing is convenient as hell. Especially from a political creature like the AG of NY.

The NRA is a non-profit member organization. How it is able to mobilize and protect your rights is something no other 2nd Amendment organization can do. She's seeking dissolution which will have a negative affect on mine and your rights. This is a trashy attack. There's a difference between coercing an org to clean up their shit vs. dissolution which would be a significant victory to the disarmament crowd.

Last edited:
Isn't everything political at the end of the day? You could argue back and forth forever about whether the timing of the announcement helps or hurts the AG politically. Personally I don't have an opinion on it and at the end of the day it comes down to perception, there isn't an objective answer.

As for what actually happens to the NRA, well, that's up to the courts to decide, not the AG

For those who support more gun control, this is a great opportunity to bring your issue back into the limelight. No convenient school shootings to take advantage of

For those who support less gun control, perceived threats to the 2A are great for mobilizing support and increasing gun sales (Remember gun sales under Obama?)

This is one of those awful news stories where everyone gets the chance to snuggle up in their echo chamber and feel self righteous, all the while using American institutions as a political punching bag.

Back