United States & Gun Control discussion.

Cynically I have to wonder if proposals like this are meant to gauge our response. One could also argue they are meant to siphon funds away from the NRA, expending them to fight another anti-gun proposal. You could also use it to see how the media will react; any form of press or major discussion.

Throw it out there, response is minimal, it slides under the radar and passes. OR Throw it out there, people loos their minds, now you have a barometer which tells them how far they can/ can't go.

Here's the thing with NFA... there's a huge amount of rich dicks that have NFA. In the hypothetical scenario of NFA reduction and/or just going flat away...

All of a sudden, that $150,000 Colt lower isn't worth literally anything. There's a large vested interest especially in the deep pocket people that have picked these up, and their groups specifically give NO fucks about weapons as long as they get to keep theirs... if I need to, I'll re-dig back into it but specifically in the past NFA oriented groups have specifically screwed the common man in firearms law.

Same with Cans, same with basically any of the tax-stamped bits. There's false value added due to forced rarity. Even out of Inconel or other unobtanium metals, the profit margin on a can (specifically a standard circular design can) is ludicrous once you do the minimal amount of design actually needed to make something with baffles and 2 f'ing holes, one of which is threaded. I can support something like an Osprey costing a bit more since it's not tube-baffle stack-endcaps DONE like the rest of the shit.

This was sent to me by Wideners.com ammo company...
It's a ridiculous proposed restriction and an obvious underhanded assault on our 2nd A rights.

Contact ATF:

Oppose 5.56 M855 Ball Ammunition Ban

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) unexpectedly announced that it intends to ban commonplace M855 ball ammunition as "armor piercing ammunition." The decision continues Obama's use of his executive authority to impose gun control restrictions and bypass Congress. Use the sample letter below to write the ATF and voice your opposition to this ban! BE COURTEOUS AND DO NOT
USE PROFANITY. If you do write a letter with bad language, the ATF will rightfully ignore your comments.

ATF will accept comments on this proposal until March 16, 2015. Email or write ATF today and tell them you oppose this unnecessary, misguided and damaging ban on commonly used ammunition for America's most popular sporting rifles. Additional information can be found at https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150218/your-action-urgently-needed-to-prevent-batfe-from-banning-common-rifle-ammunition.

Email: APAComments@atf.gov
Fax: (202) 648-9741.
Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

Feel free to use or edit the following sample letter, which can be emailed or mailed to the ATF:

Your Name
Address
Address
City, ST ZIP
Your phone number (optional)
Your email address (optional)

ATTN: AP Ammo Comments

Dear Sir or Madam:

I oppose an ATF ban on 5.56 M855 ball ammunitions.

It has come to my attention that the ATF is seeking public input on a proposed ban on 5.56 M855 ball ammunitions. I am contacting you today, to tell you I solidly oppose this ban.

Law-abiding American citizens have been using 5.56 ball ammunition for sporting purposes for decades, so this legislation appears to be a case of the government arriving at a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.

Through this proposed ban, ATF disproportionately focuses on how criminals might use sporting ammunition in a handgun. Classifying criminals as a “consumer group” in the ATF’s white paper on this topic is also disturbing, as it further implies that the industry purposely sells firearms and ammunition to this element.

I urge the ATF to permanently drop the proposed ban of 5.56 M855 ball ammunition.

Sincerely,

Your Name, Title

This was sent to me by Wideners.com ammo company...
It's a ridiculous proposed restriction and an obvious underhanded assault on our 2nd A rights.

Contact ATF:
Oppose 5.56 M855 Ball Ammunition Ban

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) unexpectedly announced that it intends to ban commonplace M855 ball ammunition as "armor piercing ammunition." The decision continues Obama's use of his executive authority to impose gun control restrictions and bypass Congress. Use the sample letter below to write the ATF and voice your opposition to this ban! BE COURTEOUS AND DO NOT
USE PROFANITY. If you do write a letter with bad language, the ATF will rightfully ignore your comments.

ATF will accept comments on this proposal until March 16, 2015. Email or write ATF today and tell them you oppose this unnecessary, misguided and damaging ban on commonly used ammunition for America's most popular sporting rifles. Additional information can be found at https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150218/your-action-urgently-needed-to-prevent-batfe-from-banning-common-rifle-ammunition.

Email: APAComments@atf.gov
Fax: (202) 648-9741.
Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

Feel free to use or edit the following sample letter, which can be emailed or mailed to the ATF:

Your Name
Address
Address
City, ST ZIP
Your phone number (optional)
Your email address (optional)

ATTN: AP Ammo Comments

Dear Sir or Madam:

I oppose an ATF ban on 5.56 M855 ball ammunitions.

It has come to my attention that the ATF is seeking public input on a proposed ban on 5.56 M855 ball ammunitions. I am contacting you today, to tell you I solidly oppose this ban.

Law-abiding American citizens have been using 5.56 ball ammunition for sporting purposes for decades, so this legislation appears to be a case of the government arriving at a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.

Through this proposed ban, ATF disproportionately focuses on how criminals might use sporting ammunition in a handgun. Classifying criminals as a “consumer group” in the ATF’s white paper on this topic is also disturbing, as it further implies that the industry purposely sells firearms and ammunition to this element.

I urge the ATF to permanently drop the proposed ban of 5.56 M855 ball ammunition.

Sincerely,

Your Name, Title
This one faxes to your elected reps and the BATFE

http://www.savem855.com/

@pardus, do you really think that the ATF (and the Executive Branch) cares what the American people think? It's been my experience that IF an authority feels it necessary to say X, then the situation is completely opposite. Beware the supervisor or company that says "We really care about our employees." because it's 100% total bullshit. If they care, the employees/subordinates already know by the actions of the authority.

From the ATF framework document:

VI. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
ATF will carefully consider all comments, as appropriate, received on or beforeMarch 16, 2015, and will give comments received after that date the same consideration if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given except as to comments received on or before
March 16, 2015.
ATF will not acknowledge receipt of comments.

I strongly believe this is a check in the box and the ATF will claim that the overwhelming majority of comments were in favor of this ammo ban. Hell, I bet the the ink is already dry on the press release! This action will be just as transparent as ACA and DAPA.

Sadly I agree with you. They will do what ever the fuck they want.

@pardus, do you really think that the ATF (and the Executive Branch) cares what the American people think? It's been my experience that IF an authority feels it necessary to say X, then the situation is completely opposite. Beware the supervisor or company that says "We really care about our employees." because it's 100% total bullshit. If they care, the employees/subordinates already know by the actions of the authority.

From the ATF framework document:

VI. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
ATF will carefully consider all comments, as appropriate, received on or beforeMarch 16, 2015, and will give comments received after that date the same consideration if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given except as to comments received on or before
March 16, 2015.
ATF will not acknowledge receipt of comments.

I strongly believe this is a check in the box and the ATF will claim that the overwhelming majority of comments were in favor of this ammo ban. Hell, I bet the the ink is already dry on the press release! This action will be just as transparent as ACA and DAPA.

The problem lies with rulemaking authority and the concept of administrative law. The bureaucrats who create these rules are either political appointees and therefore they know they're short-timers, or they are civil service employees who couldn't care less what the electorate thinks.

We have to change the rulemaking process.

Right now, our best bet--such as it is--is to pressure our elected representatives to exert whatever influence they can on the BATFE. If the rule is adopted then it must be spun as another Democratic Party action to infringe upon the Second Amendment.

This kind of shit is why we have a "Tea Party".

Regardless of your opinion of the Tea Party (mine happens to be a positive opinion), it's fear of a mass of hundreds of thousands of human bodies, bristling with AR-15's demonstrating and protesting all over American cities that becomes the ultimate check on a runaway government.

Back