United States & Gun Control discussion.

A mass-swording took place in Sweden today. I consider this relevant not because teachers should be armed with Targaryen steel or whatever, but it highlights the simple fact that people are going to be crazy regardless of the available tools. You can't always stop crazy or even know about it.
Sweden sword attack: Two killed by masked attacker - BBC News

A masked man armed with a sword has killed a pupil and a teacher at a school in Sweden.

The suspect, clad in black, apparently posed for photos with students ahead of the attack, in the western town of Trollhattan.

Two further victims, a pupil and a teacher, are seriously injured. The attacker was shot by police and has died of his injuries. He was 21 and resident in Trollhattan, police said.

Blue Skies.
---

To kind of piggyback on my earlier post about the Constitution, I also like to point out to my anti-firearm friends that the background check process is flawed or broken. Their perception is you either pass or fail the check within 5 days but as we know it isn't that simple. It is a "gun show loophole" that draws everyone's attention, but shortcomings in NNICS are rarely mentioned. Fix actions may require more money or manpower, but let's just add additional laws to enforce rather than enforcing what's on the books. 'Merica: We'll Lawyerize you.

We have more than enough existing laws to cover just about everything under the sun. We simply don't need more.

People need to learn to focus more on the "tool" using the gun rather than the tool itself.

In a bit of positive news, Congressman Matt Salmon of Arizona has introduced a bill (Hearing Protection Act of 2015) that would remove suppressors from the NFA list

Bill introduced to remove suppressors from NFA regulation
Bill introduced to remove suppressors from NFA regulation
A House Republican is proposing legislation that would remove suppressors and silencers from National Firearms Act regs and treat them as regular firearms.

Since 1934, the federal government has treated devices designed to muffle or suppress the report of firearms as Title II devices that required registration under the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record and mandated transfers that included a $200 tax stamp. Now, a bill sponsored by U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., aims to change that.

Under the terms of the Hearing Protection Act, introduced Thursday with 10 co-sponsors, gone would be the NFA requirements for the devices. Instead, federal law would treat them as firearms which would allow suppressors to transfer through any regular federal firearms license holders to anyone not prohibited from possessing them after the buyer passes an FBI instant background check.

Rather than the lengthy Form 4 process, which can take months, buyers would only have to complete the standard 4473 Form before taking possession.

It hasn't hit govtrack.us yet, but this is very exciting and I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this.

I read through all that and noticed that self-defense wasn't one of the listed genuine reasons for being issued with a license.

I also read through the list of prohibited weapons other than firearms; I've concluded that only harsh language and cans of Fosters are authorized for self defense purposes there.

I did meet an Aussie police officer at a conference in Mobile a few years ago. He was very forthright about the issue; he very clearly stated that the gun laws in Oz seemed to merely empower the criminals and violent crime rose.

That's an interesting argument from the Aussie copper. Crime has been going on for centuries in one form or another and no-one has stopped it yet, it's the risk/reward ratio, if there's an opportunity, someone will have a crack at it. Crime worldwide though has actually been diminishing (see article)

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...-down-governments-should-focus-prevention-not

Can I add something here to you're chat with our LEO? I'm speculating he had the "if you take away guns from good people, only bad people will have guns" argument. This played out for quite some time and TBH it affected legal ownership. For wherever and whenever there was a gun crime, the legal ownership laws tightened. (So in a certain way, fears of restrictive ownership where you are would rise if enacted. I say fear, not actuality). So the laws affected the wrong part of the population. The powers that be finally woke up one day and that stopped. So now instead we have at least once a week reminders in the media of gun crime in America. 'Boy four, dead" headlines are now pretty commonplace just as a reminder to all those nice people here who don't own.

The original argument was tightening ownership prevented a mass casualty event. We haven't had one for some time, that's not to say it won't happen but the likelihood has been significantly diminished.

I read through all that and noticed that self-defense wasn't one of the listed genuine reasons for being issued with a license.

I also read through the list of prohibited weapons other than firearms; I've concluded that only harsh language and cans of Fosters are authorized for self defense purposes there.

Harsh words and cans of beer are really all that's required for self defence purposes down here. You generally have to go looking for trouble to find it.

Tewksbury gun suspect held on bail

BATF, is parading this on their facebook as a successful nab of a crazed weapons trafficking felon.

What it is, is a veteran down on his luck trying to feed his pregnant wife, being lured into a laundry list of felonies.

Every LEO involved with this "investigation" should be a shamed of themselves.
Standard ATF operation, and the Mass-holes gleefully assisted.

Last time it took 45 minutes on hold for a 1 minute conversation. The only delay I ever had was right after I got married and changed my name, then it was 5 minutes as they spelled my maiden name.

The Tewksbury case is absurd.

Rallying resources and law enforcement officers to a case like this, rather than chasing rapists, murderers, and other thugs is pathetic.

I agree that anyone participating in this is a sorry excuse for a cop.

iller told police he knew he had to have a Massachusetts license to carry a firearm, but he was unsure of what firearms were covered under the law.

Combs notes that Miller, a military veteran, has been transient because he and his wife, who is seven-months pregnant, have been waiting for permanent housing from the Veterans Administration.

Miller's next court date is Nov. 13 for a probable cause hearing.

Read more: Tewksbury gun suspect held on bail

He's BROKE, he's literally HOMELESS waiting on VA housing, with a pregnant wife, and these fucksticks spent a MONTH persuading him to drive over state lines to sell to them?

What it is, is a veteran down on his luck trying to feed his pregnant wife, being lured into a laundry list of felonies.

Every LEO involved with this "investigation" should be a shamed of themselves.

He has a CCW but doesn't know it's illegal to sell weapons outside his state of residence?

He has a CCW but doesn't know it's illegal to sell weapons outside his state of residence?
Wasn't covered in my CCW class, did they cover it in your class?
That said, if you live in NH you know Mass gun laws are strict, that's why it took a month to persuade him to go there.
Not Guilty verdict, or probation gets him turned over to MA Police for additional charges (which is why they picked MA and not ME)

I'm not saying this dude did no wrong, I'm saying the cops set him up to do wrong and that its complete bullshit.

Starving wife, $2500 in gun shit I can sell and make wife happy, dude who wants to buy won't meet me in my location, yeah fuck it I'll drive to your town. I'd be willing to bet, this veteran wasn't even thinking about the laws, probably had to come up with gas money for the meeting.

And really, these cops don't have anything better to do?

Back