USMC scout sniper shooting preparation

Mds5445

Unverified
Would I be prepared enough to get into and graduate from scout sniper school from a shooting standpoint if I can shoot out to 1,000 yrds fairly accurately with a bolt action rifle before enlisting and I can shoot out to 500 yrds fairly accurately with an AR-15 open sights to receive the expert marksmanship award in boot camp ( because it is the closest thing I would be able to obtain like an m-16)

How is your ASVAP? Shooting is the easiest part.... there is a lot more that will keep you out than just shooting. Work on graduating Recruit Training first, then on being a kick ass Marine Infantryman, then on the indoc to get INTO the Scout Sniper Plt...

How is your ASVAP? Shooting is the easiest part.... there is a lot more that will keep you out than just shooting. Work on graduating Recruit Training first, then on being a kick ass Marine Infantryman, then on the indoc to get INTO the Scout Sniper Plt...
I haven't enlisted yet but before I do I'm gonna study hard to get a great ASVAB score and what is the indoc to get into the scout sniper platoon

Dude last thing you need to worry about is shooting. I don't agree that shooting is the easiest thing, but it's out of your control till you actually join a Scout Sniper Plt. But what will stop you from becoming a Sniper is, not doing good in school, not scoring good on the ASVAB, and I believe you need a score of 100 for GT, but should want a GT score higher then 110 for other job purposes. You need to worry about being in shape and having the right mindset. Boot Camp and SOI is not hard, but strive to be the best. Scout Snipers is the first thing you actually got to earn when you join the infantry. Scout Snipers was the best thing I've done, it's amazing job and a lot of passion. You have to pass the selection before you ever get a chance to shoot any long guns.

Work on enlisting first, followed by making it into my beloved Corps, then becoming the best infantryman you can be. Then when the opportunity arises request through your chain of command to participate in the unit's SSP indoc(3 day to 2 week selection depending on what flavor of the week it is at X battalion). You have about a year plus(typically after your first deployment so your 2 year mark) if you pass recruit training before you should even think about what level of comprehension you should be at. Be a sponge and absorb the basics. Task 1 for you, learn navigation if you want to study anything in advance. Truth be told and no one wants to admit it, but without a GPS, most Marines suck at this task(varies by unit) yet it is the one the most important yet basic tasks.

Back