Watches

Post up your requirements and I'm sure we can help you find one to fit your budget and needs.

Thanks mate. I'm going to learn how to sail this year so with that in mind I was thinking something that's corrosion resistant, has a barometer and maybe a compass (but that's not too essential at this stage).

Price isn't fixed atm. Reading the thread one of those Suuntos sounds like it might fit the bill.

Thanks mate. I'm going to learn how to sail this year so with that in mind I was thinking something that's corrosion resistant, has a barometer and maybe a compass (but that's not too essential at this stage).

Price isn't fixed atm. Reading the thread one of those Suuntos sounds like it might fit the bill.

the SUUNTO Mariner is a good all around sailing/racing watch... you are better off mounting a compass on the boat than using a watch compass while sailing though. (experience talking, I love to sail/race)

the SUUNTO Mariner is a good all around sailing/racing watch... you are better off mounting a compass on the boat than using a watch compass while sailing though. (experience talking, I love to sail/race)

I am not personally a fan of the 3,000 function watch. I wear a watch that tells me the time. I also carry a GPS and two compasses.

Plus three lighters, matches, and a firestarter... :ninja:

Hey thanks for the post mate. I'll have a good look at the Mariner. Much appreciated.

Watches!

I'm wearing my Marathon Navigator right now. I live the tritium face, it is might and affordable. If you have a mil or LE email you get a healthy discount. I've had a few GSAR's the USMC version now. It us an awesome watch. I also love my Orange Monster too. For me I like a big clean dial. With good lume.

Watches!

I'm wearing my Marathon Navigator right now. I live the tritium face, it is might and affordable. If you have a mil or LE email you get a healthy discount. I've had a few GSAR's the USMC version now. It us an awesome watch. I also love my Orange Monster too. For me I like a big clean dial. With good lume.

Do you have the pic of the GSAR / USMC version? I would like to see that.

F.M.

Yes I will take one now.

Stock Photo
http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/WW194006USMC3l.jpg[/I

Some of my wrist shots:

[URL=http://s859.photobucket.com/user/usmcvet0331/media/Snapbucket/5A582DBB-orig.jpg.html]http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/5A582DBB-orig.jpg[/URL]

[URL='http://s859.photobucket.com/user/usmcvet0331/media/Snapbucket/F9D468AE-orig.jpg.html'][IMG]http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/F9D468AE-orig.jpg

Marathon Navigator

A pair of Seiko 099's, I sold both, I miss the Pepsi not the one I had modified.

My first "real" watch. It is a Glycine my folks bought me for graduation in 1990. I work it in the Gulf, it was fixed up after at the factory, the bezel ring was worn bare, looked like copper, sand sucks!

My Orange Monster it is one of my favorites and a fun watch.

These are all gone now too.

[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always liked the Marathon Tritium line up. Just not the price.

I've always wondered who was lucky enough to get one issued? For instance:

NSN 6645-01-544-0408

WW194014_rubber.jpg

The GSAR has tritium. I think you might be talking about the SAR, not sure they're made anymore, they don't have tritium.
It ought to be for the money they're asking for it.

I love my TSAR. I like the larger GSAR too, but it doesn't have tritium.

Guys the prices can be steep. They do offer an attractive discount if you send jenny@marathonwatch.com an email from your mil or govt email address and then follow up with a phone call she will give you pricing by phone. That is how I bought mine. I think the last GSAR was $525 on rubber. That's a good discount!

The discount is for military and public safety. I know cops get it and I would think fire and EMS would too but I am not sure.

SAR GSAR.jpg

GSAR left SAR right.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GSAR has tritium. I think you might be talking about the SAR, not sure they're made anymore, they don't have tritium.

Guys the prices can be steep. They do offer an attractive discount if you send jenny@marathonwatch.com an email from your mil or govt email address and then follow up with a phone call she will give you pricing by phone. That is how I bought mine. I think the last GSAR was $525 on rubber. That's a good discount!

Damn, you're right. I meant the JSAR, the jumbo version. The TSAR/GSAR has a 42mm case; the JSAR has a 48mm case and no tritium.

Thanks for the info on the discount!

Last edited:
image.jpg Marathon has a watch similar to the JSAR it is the JDD Jumbo Day Date and I freaking want it! I need to sell my USMC GSAR to help pay for it! Not my photos but here is a comparison shot and Marathon's stock photo.

image.jpg

I like how the 24 hour numbers are in the chapter ring. I don't care for the addition of the date, I love the way the GSAR puts the date in between the 4/5 like a Sinn.

Anyone here have any experience with the Garmin Fenix?

ETA: Never mind about the Fenix.. How about the Suunto Ambit2?

I'm pretty well sold on Suunto products, and prospectively in the GPS capable watch market for utility purposes... and with the Ambit able to take applications (and you can make your own) I could incorporate DOPE as well as other things into a custom Tac-App I make.

Last edited:
Back