Watches

I have been looking at this watch for some time, and REI has has it on clearance at a pretty great price so I picked it up today.

The instructions it came with are far from complete, so any tips/tricks in enjoying this watch?

Does it offer a "step counting" feature? If it does, I cannot figure it out.

Any apps you recommend for it? I've downloaded the software and currently have it charging.

I'm a huge fan of Marathon time pieces. I've had my auto dive watch since 2009. Pretty much wear it every day and while it looks like I've dragged it behind my truck, it takes a great beating and still performs. I think I'm on my 3rd rubber strap. It looses about 2 minutes a week, no biggie. Oh, Marathon does an LEO discount but hell if I can remember how much that was.

h558-c3002.jpg

My 2. Seiko Arnie (Bought in 1985 while I was in Tokyo) and Citizen Navihawk

Everything on my Seiko still functions as good as it did the day I bought it (Backlight, digital chronograph, stop watch, alarm, bezel still clicks, turns and rotates) Only thing it could use is a relume. The damn things are now collectors items. I've seen them on ebay for as much as 2000.00. Seller from Italy still had a brand new, old stock 1984 H558 still in the box, never used. Average price for them is around 400-700.00

Paid 25000 yen for the thing (97.00) after bartering with a merchant in the shopping district in Akihabara. One thing about Japan, everything's negotiable with regards to price. 8-)

h558-c3002.jpg

My 2. Seiko Arnie (Bought in 1985 while I was in Tokyo) and Citizen Navihawk

Everything on my Seiko still functions as good as it did the day I bought it (Backlight, digital chronograph, stop watch, alarm, bezel still clicks, turns and rotates) Only thing it could use is a relume. The damn things are now collectors items. I've seen them on ebay for as much as 2000.00. Seller from Italy still had a brand new, old stock 1984 H558 still in the box, never used. Average price for them is around 400-700.00

Paid 25000 yen for the thing (97.00) after bartering with a merchant in the shopping district in Akihabara. One thing about Japan, everything's negotiable with regards to price. 8-)

I got a Seiko 200m Quartz Diver (Pepsi Bezel) for my 21st BD... over 30 years, and the thing is accurate and bullet proof wore it through the Q course, bands have been replaced 3x and battery is currently dead, I need a new battery in it.

ETA: Never mind about the Fenix.. How about the Suunto Ambit2?

I have the Ambit2...freeking love it. Have not played with creating apps yet, but with the heart rate monitor and the shoe-clip sensor, this things tells me just about everything. Daily wear I get nearly a month on one charge, if I am using it heavily (GPS and HR) then I still get a good week out of it. I highly recommend this watch, and since the 3 came out, you can often find the 2 on clearance...I gotta a hella-deal at REI on mine. Here is a link with more info: http://gizmodo.com/suunto-ambit2-hr-review-the-smartwatch-for-badasses-1685440542

Anyone here have any experience with the Garmin Fenix?

ETA: Never mind about the Fenix.. How about the Suunto Ambit2?

Just got the Fenix 3...and it is niiiiiice. Haven't had much of a chance to use it for what it's made for yet but it's performed very well for what I've been able to do. I'll update a little more later if anyone seems interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
I've been wearing this Gshock, no idea what it's called. It's worked well for me, wore it diving and such and held up nicely. I bought it as my first watch, bought it entirely because it was analog. Lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Suunto Core, postive display ( easier to read in low light). Broke one band, and the bezel ring felloff. Owned for 3 years+

I would like to get a nato ban watch however, something classier?

IMHO, a Citizen, Seiko, or (better yet) Bulova, will get you the same look, diamonds, longevity at 1/3 the cost.
Having said that, I admit to not owning a Raymond Weil within the last 25 years.
Whatever you decide to purchase, DO NOT pay retail. Lots of online sellers deeply discount watches these days; reliable sellers with authentic watches.

Two recent watch purchases and my philosophy on watch buying in general: http://justsomedame.blogspot.com/2015/05/only-serious-timepieces-need-apply.html

Are you specifically set on this brand? I've got a connection (a real jeweler) who can get me some pretty amazing deals on Citizen - go thru their website and send PM me a few models that you are interested in, I'll see how cheap I can get it for you at.

Back