What Are You Currently Reading?

I just read some online. That's deep, and a dangerous dive. But a very compelling story.

One U-boat off NC is stupid deep, 720 feet, but the another is only 115 feet and is a popular dive. A third, U-85 is in 85 feet, but I have not dove it.

I dig stories like that, I will have to pick it up.

I know we're hijacking, but for anyone interested in U-boats, here's a fantastic site.
Discovered U-boats - German U-boat Fates - uboat.net

Not really a wartime biography in the traditional sense, the author has a background in "application of complexity science to organizational design" and applies organizational structure and organizational dynamics on how Nimitz framed his leadership style. Early book example, he could have sacked Kimmel's leadership team but instead kept them, understanding the need to infuse confidence and 'psychological safety' in allowing that staff to climb back on the horse.

This would make a good military history textbook, or a good business/leadership textbook.

IMG_20221107_113611.jpg

My wife gave me a couple John Plaster books for my birthday, about MACV-SOG in Vietnam. I knew some about their history, operations, etc., but not nearly the detail that Plaster reveals. These guys are dying left and right from old age, I hope the ones who are left will immortalize their history with more recordings.

My wife gave me a couple John Plaster books for my birthday, about MACV-SOG in Vietnam. I knew some about their history, operations, etc., but not nearly the detail that Plaster reveals. These guys are dying left and right from old age, I hope the ones who are left will immortalize their history with more recordings.

Check out the SOG Cast hosted by John Stryker Meyer. Spotify, Apple, and the usual suspects.

Not really a wartime biography in the traditional sense, the author has a background in "application of complexity science to organizational design" and applies organizational structure and organizational dynamics on how Nimitz framed his leadership style. Early book example, he could have sacked Kimmel's leadership team but instead kept them, understanding the need to infuse confidence and 'psychological safety' in allowing that staff to climb back on the horse.

This would make a good military history textbook, or a good business/leadership textbook.

View attachment 40906
‎The Strategy Bridge: Nimitz and the Art of Command in the Pacific on Apple Podcasts A good companion podcast with the author.

Absolutely amazing book that I couldn’t put down. If you have the slightest interest in diving, or WW2 naval history, Shadow Divers will appeal to both.

The ability of the author to cover the story in such great detail, while leaving you hanging the entire time was much appreciated.

A renewed interested has caused me to re-stack my books to read, and now I am beginning Blind Man’s Bluff. The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage.
Time got crunched and things slipped. I finished Blind Man’s Bluff. Absolute great read, with tons of submarine information. At times, it made me wish I had served on submarines. At other times, I was reassured in my choice to go the opposite direction and take to the skies.

In my absence, I additionally read The Flying Tigers by Sam Kleiner. Aviation always interests me, so I really enjoyed reading about a group of rag tag aviators that came together for 7-8 months to fight a nation, with officially unofficial support. It was wild to read the experiences they had, often with excerpts from their own journals, detailing events that were “too fantastical even for movies”. WW2 vets truly are a great generation.

I am now beginning Fighter Pilots Heaven. The book details the dangers of flight testing as the US transitioned to a jet age. The author coincidentally was a pilot with the 23rd Flying Tiger Fighter Group in China, so weird connection to the book I just finished.

Time got crunched and things slipped. I finished Blind Man’s Bluff. Absolute great read, with tons of submarine information. At times, it made me wish I had served on submarines. At other times, I was reassured in my choice to go the opposite direction and take to the skies.

In my absence, I additionally read The Flying Tigers by Sam Kleiner. Aviation always interests me, so I really enjoyed reading about a group of rag tag aviators that came together for 7-8 months to fight a nation, with officially unofficial support. It was wild to read the experiences they had, often with excerpts from their own journals, detailing events that were “too fantastical even for movies”. WW2 vets truly are a great generation.

I am now beginning Fighter Pilots Heaven. The book details the dangers of flight testing as the US transitioned to a jet age. The author coincidentally was a pilot with the 23rd Flying Tiger Fighter Group in China, so weird connection to the book I just finished.
As an aviation nerd, this had me constantly referencing google to look up planes. It was a good read, and was neat to see how the author describes the Eglin/Fort Walton area back in the late forties, versus now.

Just began reading George Washington’s Secret Six.

Blind Man's Bluff (Cold War Sub stuff, a great read)
A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo which is a great book about Vietnam
War by Sebastian Junger, a focused GWOT history

and a bunch of other great books are Kindle book deals right now.

ETA: 20+ pages of some really great books at discounted prices. Worth a look if nothing else.

Just began reading George Washington’s Secret Six.
Enjoyed the history of the Culper Spy Ring, but the story could trip you up with the continued use of code names throughout, so at times I was scratching my head and having to reread portions to discern who was talking or being referenced.

Overall, I would recommend.

Currently knocking back Getting to Yes, which is a book about negotiation.

Reading David McCulloch's The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal. Extremely interesting, a miracle it was built when it was.

I’m halfway through What really happened in Wuhan by Sharri Markson, an Aussie journalist. The title is a grabber as it’s primarily more about how the White House dealt with it, with references on how Australia reacted as well. I’m about half way & it’s engaging & quite a page turner as the author has extensively interviewed just about everyone who had a contribution to make. The book is more comprehensive, but there’s a YouTube special as well.

Those are the last three I’ve read. Old Man’s War is excellent. Any veteran of any age, and anyone over 50 will enjoy it. The sequel is called Ghost Brigade.

Half American is expertly sourced. There is a lot of history that is meaningful and important in that book. There isn’t any bombast or extraordinary claims, and it fills a lot gaps in history.

How to write a lot was fun and short. We read a chapter before starting thesis work and I decided to read the rest.

The research library on Fort Leavenworth is my safe space. One of the best on base librairies to research, work, and relax.

Back