What Are You Currently Reading?

Almost done with Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-1945 by Barbara Tuchman...and I just finished listening to an audio book of her A Distant Mirror, the Calamitous 14th Century. Anything by her is top notch.

I'm listening to an audiobook Children of Ash and Elm, A History of the Vikings, by Neil Price. This is a scholarly work. It details every aspect of Viking life based on the archeology, ship burials, rune stones, written records, sagas etc

Next in line to read The Anglo-Saxons, A History of the Beginnings of England, 400-1066, by Marc Morris. This is a meaty volume that came out in 2021. Great reviews, I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Almost done with Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-1945 by Barbara Tuchman...and I just finished listening to an audio book of her A Distant Mirror, the Calamitous 14th Century. Anything by her is top notch.

I'm listening to an audiobook Children of Ash and Elm, A History of the Vikings, by Neil Price. This is a scholarly work. It details every aspect of Viking life based on the archeology, ship burials, rune stones, written records, sagas etc

Next in line to read The Anglo-Saxons, A History of the Beginnings of England, 400-1066, by Marc Morris. This is a meaty volume that came out in 2021. Great reviews, I'm looking forward to it.
Barbara Tuchman is one of my fave historical writers; The Guns of August & The March of Folly…great insights.

Barbara Tuchman is one of my fave historical writers; The Guns of August & The March of Folly…great insights.

I read the Guns of August for the first time a year ago and I was hooked. I was like, "where has this woman been all my life?"

BTW, Chripbooks.com has all of Tuchman's work on audio books. And they're read by Wanda McCadden, middle-aged British lady, very talented narrator, appropriate for the work. Sounds a bit like Judi Dench.

I read the Guns of August for the first time a year ago and I was hooked. I was like, "where has this woman been all my life?"

BTW, Chripbooks.com has all of Tuchman's work on audio books. And they're read by Wanda McCadden, middle-aged British lady, very talented narrator, appropriate for the work. Sounds a bit like Judi Dench.
Thanks for the tip, I’m yet to get to The Zimmerman Telegram, it’s on my list.

Zimmermann Telegram | Facts, Text, & Outcome

I’ve just completed 2 books back2back about rangers. Not Rangers, but rangers. Park rangers. The stories are real; so is the PTSD, mental breakdowns, danger, heartbreak and feelings of resentment towards the community they are sworn to protect.

I highly recommend both, there are so many similarities in what these folks deal with compared to Vets that I think most of you will find quite a bit that resonate with you. Some of the recuse missions (wins and losses) described in Ranger Confidential get pretty honest and gruesome, so be warned.

Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, and Dying in the National Parks by Andrea Langford
I would consider this a woman’s perspective of the “there we were” type books that so many Vets like to write. She’s seen it all in the Grand Cannon; death, crime, suicide, bear attacks, entitles BASE jumpers, you name it.

The Last Season by Eric Blehm
The Last Season tells the true story of the life and disappearance of Randy Morgenson who, over the course of twenty-eight summers spent in California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains, became arguably the most celebrated ranger in the National Park Service’s most adventurous SAR unit.
He eventually went ‘native’ on the bit and disappeared, causing the same type of dangerous search for him by his peers and friends, that he had executed so many times in the past.

I’ve just completed 2 books back2back about rangers. Not Rangers, but rangers. Park rangers. The stories are real; so is the PTSD, mental breakdowns, danger, heartbreak and feelings of resentment towards the community they are sworn to protect.

I highly recommend both, there are so many similarities in what these folks deal with compared to Vets that I think most of you will find quite a bit that resonate with you. Some of the recuse missions (wins and losses) described in Ranger Confidential get pretty honest and gruesome, so be warned.

Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, and Dying in the National Parks by Andrea Langford
I would consider this a woman’s perspective of the “there we were” type books that so many Vets like to write. She’s seen it all in the Grand Cannon; death, crime, suicide, bear attacks, entitles BASE jumpers, you name it.

The Last Season tells the true story of the life and disappearance of Randy Morgenson who, over the course of twenty-eight summers spent in California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains, became arguably the most celebrated ranger in the National Park Service’s most adventurous SAR unit.
He eventually went ‘native’ on the bit and disappeared, causing the same type of dangerous search for him by his peers and friends, that he had executed so many times in the past.

I always loved the idea of being a park ranger in a national park. My uncle was a state park ranger in Wisconsin and I thought he had the coolest job.

I get pissed when I read stories about thrill seekers, inexperienced mountain climbers, trail hikers who lack the skills getting lost…and rangers/rescue teams having to risk their lives—not to mention the cost—to save dumbasses.

I get pissed when I read stories about thrill seekers, inexperienced mountain climbers, trail hikers who lack the skills getting lost…and rangers/rescue teams having to risk their lives—not to mention the cost—to save dumbasses.

You've also had experienced BASE jumpers make a successful jump and then die while the evading the rangers. BASE jumpers and the national parks had kind of an...iffy relationship until the NPS began enforcing a rule against "aerial delivery" in the parks. To further muck it up, Bureau of Land Management land allows BASE jumping, so you have two gov't orgs that can't agree on this one thing.

Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans

You've also had experienced BASE jumpers make a successful jump and then die while the evading the rangers
That get’s covered in the Ranger Confidential book. At one point in the 90’s the BASE jumpers were planning a large protest to disrupt the park; the park agreed to let 5 jumpers jump, and then be arrested when they landed. One woman didn’t want her good chute to be confiscated so she borrows a friends…that she was unfamiliar with…and died. The public blamed the Park for allowing the jump.

ETA: the story that @AWP links above is the story covered in the book.

That get’s covered in the Ranger Confidential book. At one point in the 90’s the BASE jumpers were planning a large protest to disrupt the park; the park agreed to let 5 jumpers jump, and then be arrested when they landed. One woman didn’t want her good chute to be confiscated so she borrows a friends…that she was unfamiliar with…and died. The public blamed the Park for allowing the jump.

ETA: the story that @AWP links above is the story covered in the book.
Sounds like an interesting read. I'll have to check it out.

The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt, by Toby Wilkinson.

Aside from the tomb stuff, that everybody’s at least vaguely aware of, this is a history of the kings, the people, the wars and insurrections, the building projects, the court intrigues.

The great thing about ancient Egypt is that they wrote everything down, scribes followed the kings everywhere. They were obsessive record-keepers. People wrote whole histories on the walls of their tombs. The upshot is, we know a great deal about life along the Nile over the course of 3000 years.

Fascinating, rich book. Beautiful photographs, good maps, lively prose and a book you can immerse yourself in.

They also practiced inbreeding to a level European monarchies couldn't touch. Did the book discuss how it may have impacted their decision making?

Last edited:
They also practiced inbreeding to a level European monarchies couldn't touch. Did the book discuss how it may have impacted their decision making?

Brother and sister, mother and son, various other combinations...all to keep the power in the family because they couldn't trust anybody outside the family.

I have a bunch of stuff in the pipe, I'll drop a thread or two whenever.

Hue 1968: A Turning Point of the American War in Vietnam
Mark Bowden

Carrie Fisher: A Life on the Edge
Sheila Weller
(Next up. I like to add in interesting bios that aren't necessarily my military/ political norm)

Legions of Rome: The definitive history of every Roman legion
Stephen Dando-Collins

Secret Agenda: Watergate, Deep Throat, and the CIA
Jim Hougan

We Few: U.S. Special Forces in Vietnam
Nick Brokhausen
(Currently Reading. MACV-SOG recon guy. Amazing book.)

Kindle book deals...you're missing out. I only buy one or two full-priced books a year.

Back