What Are You Currently Reading?

I recently for the first time read “Armor” by John Steakly. I do not know how this got passed me for so long. It is awesome. One of my favorite sci fi books I’ve read.

I recently for the first time read “Armor” by John Steakly. I do not know how this got passed me for so long. It is awesome. One of my favorite sci fi books I’ve read.
I might have to take a look at that one, sounds like an interesting read.

Almost finished with the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. Not horribly complex, but a fun sci-fi series regardless.

One of the most meaningful books of my late 20’s. Fascinating concepts, especially of the Engine.

One of the most meaningful books of my late 20’s. Fascinating concepts, especially of the Engine.

Yeah the book was really good. The Engine as an idea also spoke to me, and I think would to many here.

Full disclosure to anyone who reads it, it takes a hard turn about a 1/3 of the way through. Seems like a totally different book in tone. However it is worth sticking to it.

Re-reading WEB Griffin : Brotherhood of war series...such a good series
All of his series are fantastic. The stories just draw you right in.

When I had my shoulder redone 11 years ago, I read that series from first book to last when I was rehabbing. A great series. Also, his The Corps series is very good.

His other books I have not read, just those two series.

I am reading John Glenn: A Memoir, his autobiography. Nothing revelatory, but the guy was just so gosh darned clean cut and all-American. I don't mean that derisively. More people should aspire to be like him.

I did not know he was stationed at Cherry Point and lived in Morehead City, NC (about 20ish minutes away on the coast, where I was born when my dad was stationed at Cherry Point).

I am reading John Glenn: A Memoir, his autobiography. Nothing revelatory, but the guy was just so gosh darned clean cut and all-American. I don't mean that derisively. More people should aspire to be like him.

I did not know he was stationed at Cherry Point and lived in Morehead City, NC (about 20ish minutes away on the coast, where I was born when my dad was stationed at Cherry Point).

Buckeyes are proud that he's from Ohio. Neil Armstrong was also from Ohio and in retirement owned and lived on a farm just a few miles from my house.

Buckeyes are proud that he's from Ohio. Neil Armstrong was also from Ohio and in retirement owned and lived on a farm just a few miles from my house.

I am unabashedly a space nerd, and Glenn is my favorite of all the astronauts. It doesn't hurt that aside from his Cherry Point days he had a special connection to NC.

Only about 30 pages in but so far has focused on Deputy Secretary of Defense Wolfowitz' purely being hellbent on invading Iraq since the early 90s. The guy would not take no for an answer.

View attachment 44279

I have yet to read a source which denies 9/11 was instantly seized upon as a pretext for Iraq. Everything I've read says Iraq was mentioned as early as 9/12 if not the day of the attacks. If you read memoires or listen to podcasts from guys in uniform, especially SOF, they all state they were withdrawn from Afghanistan and immediately told to prepare for the invasion of Iraq as early as the 1st quarter of 2022. Even the 22nd SAS were told to prepare for the invasion.

I have yet to read a source which denies 9/11 was instantly seized upon as a pretext for Iraq. Everything I've read says Iraq was mentioned as early as 9/12 if not the day of the attacks. If you read memoires or listen to podcasts from guys in uniform, especially SOF, they all state they were withdrawn from Afghanistan and immediately told to prepare for the invasion of Iraq as early as the 1st quarter of 2022. Even the 22nd SAS were told to prepare for the invasion.

Wolfie turned down other gov positions to get the Dep SecDef job so he could influence the invasion of Iraq. He wanted to be SecDef but Rumsfeld was selected. From as far back as the Gulf War, Wolfowitz, to the point of delusion made up and looked for every possible reason to go into Iraq and certainly was able to influence that decision.

Last edited:

I wasn't SOF and we were told in January, 2002 to expect "an expanded footprint in the ME" and started getting issued new gear. Iraq was never a secret.

What I find interesting was we (the US and the UN) actually had all the ammo we needed to go to war with Iraq just from their multiple violations of the no-fly zones. I was surprised they just didn't use that as a pretext to finish the job. I am sure they could have found a way, a more better way, to link Iraq to terrorism and tie in to the multiple violations of UN sanctions.

Heat 2: A prequel and a sequel to the movie Heat with Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Val Kilmer etc.

80 pages in so far. They place both the robbery crew and the cop from the movie together at the same time in Chicago before the setting of the 1995 movie. The two are not intertwined while in Chicago. I'm not understanding how Al Pacinos character from the movie could be a detective in Chicago, then several years later be a detective in LA when the crew is also out there taking scores.

The book also goes to post downtown LA police shootout with the crew with Val Kilmer's character, since he's the only survivor. He eventually escapes to Asia, but I'm not there yet.

I'll give a rating in a few months when i finally finish this, but so far its pretty good. Can't wait for the movie.

Last edited:
Heat 2: A prequel and a sequel to the movie Heat with Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Val Kilmer etc.

80 pages in so far. They place both the robbery crew and the cop from the movie together at the same time in Chicago before the setting of the 1995 movie. The two are not intertwined while in Chicago. I'm not understanding how Al Pacinos character from the movie could be a detective in Chicago, then several years later be a detectivein LA when the crew is also out there taking scores.

The book also goes to post downtown LA police shootout with the crew with Val Kilmer's character, since he's the only survivor. He eventually escapes to Asia, but im not there yet.

I'll give a rating in a few months when i finally finish this, but so far its pretty good. Can't wait for the movie.

Mann's confirmed that's his next movie. Rumors have Adam Driver in talks to play a younger Neil McCauley and Austin Butler to play Chris Shiherlis. The latter is fueled by:

Back