Votes: 23 11.7%
  • Folder

Votes: 111 56.6%
  • Multi-tool

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I don't carry a knife

Votes: 7 3.6%

• Total voters
I really need to consolidate the collection, and take a few pics... steel and sharpening gear... the grinder is only for shaping the beasts, and has only been used once so far... not enough time at the moment.

so... you want the best of the bunch or the whole schlemiel?

Anyone ever purchase a knife from Medford knives? Was looking at the Praetorian GT. Looks like a mean BAMF knife.

I've handled them, and IMHO, the Praetorian is too blade heavy for it's intended use... a 9" 0vereall knife with a 3.75" blade screams "Balance me back!" and, the spine is almost .2" (think almost a 1/4") with a hollow grind for the secondary bevel to the primary bevel... it'll baton and chop, but fine work will be difficult. If it's just for the cool factor, and you're willing to spend $700 (I would go for the CPM S35VN any day for steel) go for it. It will be very heavy as the total width of the knife after the scales are on is nearly 1/2".

I would suggest finding a Chris Reeve Sebenza or Spartan Folder if you are going to use it for a true EDC knife - the Sebenza is ~$300-$350 less, and has been a Blade Magazine favorite for 20 years, and the Spartan Folder won some awards at Blade when it was introduced 3 years ago and it's still $200 less. Both of these suggestions are in the same Production/Custom category as the Medford, and I can personally vouch for the makers - and there is no upcharge for CPM S35VN on either of these, it's the standard steel used for both.

Again - handle any knife before you buy it - unless it is only going to be a safe queen... I hate non functional knives or knives that are not used, they're tools.

I've handled them, and IMHO, the Praetorian is too blade heavy for it's intended use... a 9" 0vereall knife with a 3.75" blade screams "Balance me back!" and, the spine is almost .2" (think almost a 1/4") with a hollow grind for the secondary bevel to the primary bevel... it'll baton and chop, but fine work will be difficult. If it's just for the cool factor, and you're willing to spend $700 (I would go for the CPM S35VN any day for steel) go for it. It will be very heavy as the total width of the knife after the scales are on is nearly 1/2".

I would suggest finding a Chris Reeve Sebenza or Spartan Folder if you are going to use it for a true EDC knife - the Sebenza is ~$300-$350 less, and has been a Blade Magazine favorite for 20 years, and the Spartan Folder won some awards at Blade when it was introduced 3 years ago and it's still $200 less. Both of these suggestions are in the same Production/Custom category as the Medford, and I can personally vouch for the makers - and there is no upcharge for CPM S35VN on either of these, it's the standard steel used for both.

Again - handle any knife before you buy it - unless it is only going to be a safe queen... I hate non functional knives or knives that are not used, they're tools.

Than SF! You just saved me 15% or more for switching to....yeah...I wont lie the knife "looks" great but I am looking for something for EDC/Duty purposes. Im not familiar with the mettalurgical side of things and defer to the experts and smiths for that one. I am just looking for a solid quality, USA made, good for household and good for man hunting, gonna be able to pass it down to my mini spartan kind of knife. Ill look up Chris Reeve. I also eventually want to get a quality fixed blade as well. My current SOG folder has seen better days although it is still kickin'. Thanks a lot.

- Nick

Chris Reeve has some very good quality blades. Thanks for the advice. I looked up Spartan Blades and think that will be the way to go. The Akribis folder is pretty amazing.

Chris Reeve has some very good quality blades. Thanks for the advice. I looked up Spartan Blades and think that will be the way to go. The Akribis folder is pretty amazing.

See if you can get a tour of the Spartan Knives Shop, the guys are very accommodating and they're right outside Ft. Bragg... they'll be out of town the week of Apr 9-15 (OKCA) and maybe a little longer depending on show schedules. and Blade is in Atlanta in May... maybe you could hit Blade and really overload on sharp pointy things?

Back